2020 Silly Season

So who will replace Bottas at Mercedes, Vettel at Ferrari and Gasly at Red Bull. When will we see Mick Schumacher elevated to F1, so many questions.
:D

mick schumacher is 2021 at the earliest

You see I agree with you on this but I've started to think that it might happen in 2020 at Alfa despite his poor season due to circumstances. Have you been watching the international F3 that's replaced the GP3 this year? If not give it a go because it's been a great series this season. Anyways in that series there are 3 drivers (maybe 4) who have genuine potential talent wise to get to F1 (compared to F2 this year where I pretty much see none with potential). 2 of those drivers are Ferrari academy drivers, Shwartzman and Armstrong. Shwartzman the Russian is especially good and is leading the championship. He will be in F2 next year without a doubt, as will probably be Armstrong.

So if Mick Schumacher stays in F2 and Shwartzman turns up and starts beating him (which I fully expect he would) Ferrari wouldn't be able to justify promoting Schumacher which is a problem because PR wise and media wise they want to run Schumacher. So they already know Giovanazzi is a bust so I think they'll push him into a test role and pair Schumacher with Kimi at Alfa. If he does well then Kimi is retiring so Shwartzman will be in for him. If he sinks then he gets swapped out.

Phew. Sorry long explanation.

i would watch F3 (& i saw british rounds) but i dont have the time already hace to fit in F1 F2 BTCC & Indycar. :D

but if they sign him it will be purely on name basis thats it because they cant PR spin it any better he hasnt performed & realistically we shouldnt have expected a title challenge but Russell & Leclerc won GP3/F3 & F2 in consective years. he won a sprint race any driver can win a sprint race with a bit of luck (tried to avoid result for home but impossible as huge news. so havent seen) only finished in top 5 twice more in 8 rounds. if made a title challenge yes but currently 11th 145pts behind the leader. if he gets a F1 drive & F2 champ doesnt it would make a mockery of feeder series.

if he's good enough. win F2 in 2020 & get a seat the right way otherwise he will turn into bruno senna not max verstappen

Last edited:
You have to worry about the young relatives of past great F1 drivers. Do they really want to be racing drivers or are they drip fed the thought from a very young age by others, and end up thinking they are just like their Dad/ Uncle and should follow the dream.
It’s a lot of pressure.

You have to worry about the young relatives of past great F1 drivers. Do they really want to be racing drivers or are they drip fed the thought from a very young age by others, and end up thinking they are just like their Dad/ Uncle and should follow the dream.
It’s a lot of pressure.

Worst case scenario - you have an amazing, hghi-octane, privileged attempt to become a top class racing driver, with all the possible frills and favours on top. If it turns out that you can't actually cut it, by then you’re an adult and should have the maturity to be able to realise how lucky you are, and can fall back on the inherited riches you already have.

I don't worry about them one litte effing bit!

Worst case scenario - you have an amazing, hghi-octane, privileged attempt to become a top class racing driver, with all the possible frills and favours on top. If it turns out that you can't actually cut it, by then you’re an adult and should have the maturity to be able to realise how lucky you are, and can fall back on the inherited riches you already have.

I don't worry about them one litte effing bit!

I agree with most of what you say there vintly, I don't agree with the bit about if you fail 'you should have the maturity to realise how lucky you are', that is very dependent on the age at the time and how well they were raised. Something like failing in a sport like F1 could easily break some people and leave them feeling like a failure, even though they're not. No one is a total failure, we all have our own strengths and weaknesses in life.If you are pushed into doing something by a certain kind of parent and you can't live up to their expectations, you're not worthless, but you can be made to feel like you are which is so wrong.

The record on sons of race-winning F1 drivers, is that with one notable recent exception (Rosberg), no son of a living race-winning F1 driver has ever won a race. On the other hand, sons of deceased race-winning F1 drivers have won four world championships (Ascari, Villeneuve and Hill).

Well, I think it has a lot to do with burning desire and a need to prove something. Rosberg is an exception in many ways. But I think it takes more than just a name and opportunity to make it as an F1 driver.

I agree with most of what you say there vintly, I don't agree with the bit about if you fail 'you should have the maturity to realise how lucky you are', that is very dependent on the age at the time and how well they were raised. Something like failing in a sport like F1 could easily break some people and leave them feeling like a failure, even though they're not. No one is a total failure, we all have our own strengths and weaknesses in life.If you are pushed into doing something by a certain kind of parent and you can't live up to their expectations, you're not worthless, but you can be made to feel like you are which is so wrong.

greatest example of that is old red bull academy jaime alguarsari once the youngest F1 driver to start a Grand Prix, won 2008 british F3 title beating Oliver Turvey, Brendon Hartley, Sergio PĂ©rez, Marcus Ericsson, Nick Tandy & Max Chilton. but his F1 career being over at 21 ruined him so much he retired at 25 & has no interest in motor sport.

i always say the amazing story of danil kyvat nearly in tears in 2016? the guy was having a public breakdown in front of the world's media & the strength to come back from that is incredible

Well, I think it has a lot to do with burning desire and a need to prove something. Rosberg is an exception in many ways. But I think it takes more than just a name and opportunity to make it as an F1 driver.

that name makes it easy to make F1, but harder to stay in F1 because you are held to a higher level. like Lando Norris, George Russell dont have scruinity that Schumacher or even Alesi & Piquet have even in F3

Angel My point is that there's a few billion strangers in the world more worthy of my concern or worry than failed F1 drivers.

You say 'Something like failing in a sport like F1 could easily break some people and leave them feeling like a failure, even though they're not'.

Even if you narrow it down to just sport, what about the ordinary people who fail in sport, perhaps just come up short and don't have other options, or money or privilege to fall back on? Yes the pressure of a big name in a big sport can be a big let-down, but jeez actually worry about them?? Never.

Back
Top Bottom