Grand Prix 2020 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's somewhat ironic that, in a year that will forever be associated with the tragic loss of life through Covid and so many other issues, F1 returns to a track that has now long been associated with tragic events in the sport.

It's even more depressing that we revisit a circuit that will forever be associated with a man still struggling to overcome his own health issues.

Michael Schumacher has written his name large over the Circuit Enzo Ferrari, Imola. Winning here 7 times. Setting his first pole for Ferrari in 1996 and standing on the top step, visibly shaken on that sad day in 1994.

Schumacher splits opinion in exactly the same way that his successor in the record books, Lewis Hamilton does. Think what you like of either men, between them they are responsible for 183 wins. If they were a constructor in their own right they would be second on the all time list. Ferrari are first with 238 wins and McLaren are second with 182.

For Mercedes this will be a new challenge but one at which they should easily add their name to the list of winning teams here. Its the kind of track at which their car should fly.

Historically Renault and Ferrari power are tied on 8 wins each. What odds of either engine adding to that total?

Finally, another strong weekend for Mercedes will see them wrap up the 2020 constructors title. This will make it 7 wins in a row (a record) and take them level in the record books with Team Lotus.

i think im correct that this would be the latest F1 has ever raced in Europe. (as technically Istanbul park is in the Asian side of turkey)

Why is it being held on 2 days, rather than 3?

i Believe its an experiment by liberty media. they are talking about a hybrid of 2 & 3 day weekends. at circuits we visit reguarly & have small crowds for practice. would move to a 2 day event & those like Britain Italy USA would stay at a 3 day weekend

I think you are a race out. If Lewis wins and Bottas does not get any points, Bottas can still win the Championship if Lewis got no more points
and Bottas won (and fastest lapped) the rest of the races.

There are 5 races remaining, including this one.

Maximum points available per race are 26, including the point for fastest lap.

Hamilton: 256 + 26 (1 win + FL, 4 no finishes) = 282
Bottas: 179 + 104 (1 no finish, 4 wins + FL) = 283

It's not going to be settled at this race, regardless what happens.

At least Mercedes have the chance to win their 7th straight constructors title, and beat Ferrari’s record on their home soil in Italy.

The pre-1995 Imola was a fantastic circuit and was no more or less dangerous than several other circuits at the time - if there hadn't been fatalities that weekend, it would have happened at Monaco, Silverstone, Spa or somewhere else. F1 had become complacent.

The current circuit is a shadow of its former self but was notable for the high kerbs that were a particular challenge at Variante Alta. I assume they've been reduced/removed now but, if not, expect a volley of complaints from today's pampered piloti.

P.S. Does Hockenheim own the rights to San Marino Grand Prix as well?

😆

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

There are 5 races remaining, including this one.

Maximum points available per race are 26, including the point for fastest lap.

Hamilton: 256 + 26 (1 win + FL, 4 no finishes) = 282
Bottas: 179 + 104 (1 no finish, 4 wins + FL) = 283

It's not going to be settled at this race, regardless what happens.

Oops. I forgot about the qualifying points. Makes sense. It will probably happen in Turkey then if he increases his lead by 1 point by the end of the Turkish GP which seems doable.

love it LOL

i dont know why, but best not to ask at the moment. with so many weird names
------------------------------------
edit

Firstly, it bears pointing out that the title is a misnomer. The tiny republic of San Marino, whose population of around 33,000 is less than half that of Imola’s, lies around 100 km south-west of the city where the race is being held. doesnt take a cynical mind to see that naming its former race. San Marino GP was a dodge which enabled F1 to hold 2 races in Italy, maximising its income from the Ferrari faithful, while maintaining the appearance of not holding more than 1 race in a single country.

The race’s official title, ‘Gran Premio dell’Emilia Romagna’, has come about because of the support the local region has given to bringing F1 back to the circuit for the 1st time in 14 years.

Last edited:
I thought it was 2 days because of the time it has taken the teams to ship all their crap from Portugal to Italy by road. One does have to question why they need to ship all the ridiculous "motor homes" around given there are no corporate visitors or other hangers on to entertain.

Too many black moments of Imola to name

1982 Only 14 cars entered after the illegal water bottle row that the Brtish teams exploited to run the car under weight during the races and boycotted the race citing needing time to redesign their car.

Tyrell broke ranks due to sponsor pressure

Off course the race will be remembered for Pironi's double cross

1989 Berger smashing into the wall at Tamburello then the car sets alight. Followed by Senna screwing Prost

Back
Top Bottom