Grand Prix 2020 70th Anniversary Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So, for round 5 of the championship F1's global travelling circus rolls into...wait, what? Ah yes, we're back at Silverstone, the airfield circuit generously hosting the second race of a double-header to help the sport's owners deliver a full 2020 championship (and fulfil their broadcast obligations) in spite of the challenges of Covid-19.

Disdaining more obvious geographical or historical alternatives, such as English Grand Prix, Northamptonshire-Buckinghamshire Border Grand Prix, Towcester Grand Prix, Mutton Grand Prix, Stirling Moss Trophy or Daily Express International Trophy, this race has been designated the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix to celebrate 70 years of Formula One in this, the 71st season. The location is apt, since the first Formula One World Championship race was held at the same venue back in 1950 - albeit not in the same month. Things were very different back then: the reigning monarch was in attendance (Silverstone making its usual impression on posh visitors, neither the King nor Princess Elizabeth returned in subsequent years); Alfa Romeo dominated the event; Ferrari decided not to show up at all; and there were around 200,000 more spectators than will be present this Sunday.

The pre-race buildup will surely be focused on Pirelli, who are investigating after three drivers suffered tyre failures in the latter stages of the British GP. All three were attempting ambitious stint durations, and it's worth noting that the planned allocation for this weekend was for all three tyre compounds to be a step softer: so this week's "Hard" will be the same as last week's "Medium". On the face of it, this makes a one-stop race out of the question, and creates the possibility of some strategic variety.

Mercedes will be looking to make it five wins out of five of course, and it looks as though they will only be beaten this year if they beat themselves, as was nearly the case last time out. Perhaps Max Verstappen can put enough pressure on them to force some kind of mistake? In the midfield, Racing Point will be looking to bounce back from a disappointing home race, and Nico Hulkenberg will hopefully get to properly test his supersub credentials this time. Is he a Mika Salo or a Paul di Resta? Home hero Lando Norris was in the thick of a turgid midfield non-battle, but finished close enough to eventual podium finisher Charles Leclerc to think a place on the rostrum could be his this weekend. Meanwhile Ferrari's other driver is in dire need of a strong race and will be looking, at a minimum, to get ahead of Italy's other team. Romain Grosjean will hopefully have a good night's sleep and get out of bed on the right side on Sunday morning.

Hopefully this race will be a cracker. But if the event fails to fully hold our attention, it is traditional at a 70th anniversary race - I have decided - to look back on the history of the sport and our engagement with it - the drivers and teams we've supported, the races that have thrilled us, drama that left us breathless and, perhaps, those moments when we've had to look away.

It is in that spirit that I humbly present Galahad's 14 milestones of F1's first 70 years:

70_anniversary_composite_2.png

1955 Le Mans disaster causes 4 races to be cancelled; Mercedes to withdraw
1958 Moss takes the first rear-engined win for Cooper in Argentina
1967 The Ford Cosworth DFV debuts at Zandvoort
1968 Full commercial sponsorship is legalised
1968 Ferrari and Brabham debut aerodynamic wings at Spa
1970 Chapman's Lotus 72 sets the template for modern F1 design
1977 Renault's RS01, the first F1 turbo, debuts at Silverstone
1981 The first Concorde Agreement establishes the commercial framework of F1
1984 Senna nearly wins the wet Monaco GP in the uncompetitive Toleman
1993 Max Mosley bans artificial driver aids
1994 Senna and Ratzenberger die in separate accidents at Imola
1996 Schumacher, Brawn and Byrne join Ferrari from Benetton
2007 McLaren implode at the Hungarian Grand Prix
2014 Radical turbo V6 hybrid engine regulations are introduced

Finally some historical precedents that may be of interest to the superstitious:
  • The 70th anniversary Le Mans 24 Hours was won by an Australian at the wheel of a French car
  • The 70th anniversary Monaco Grand Prix was won by a German at the wheel of a Ferrari...
Please gamble responsibly!

Yes, but that involved corporate theft, this was a willing partnership:

A quote from Toto:

Wolff said, “It’s about the fundamental question: Do we want to allow customer teams? Large teams earn good money and the small ones perform better, a real win-win situation. You need alliances for that and Renault slept through them.”

Well another team were just as guilty of having access to another teams IP but merely got a slap on the wrist. It's because Max wanted to nail Ron

As for Toto 's quote he is right I mean back in mid 90''s Team Enstone and Ligier had almost identical car designs except one was dark blue.

Renault know a thing about alliances with Nissan - that partnership ain't as rosy as it use to be. They also have problems working with their customer teams so they are probably suffering from it

First notice was Hulkenberg was 0.5 seconds faster than Stroll. So Stroll seems to have a good 1 lap speed but his race pace has been a bit iffy apart from the Hungaroring. Be interesting to see if Hulkenberg starts near the front how well he can go

quote from Toto:

Wolff said, “It’s about the fundamental question: Do we want to allow mercedes to own this championship? Large teams earn good money and buy the small ones, make then perform better and create manufactured competition for us that looks close but where we always know we're going to win, a real win for us lose for the sport situation. You need money for that and Renault are lucky I allow them to be in this champinship

I read between the lines on that Toto quote.

First notice was Hulkenberg was 0.5 seconds faster than Stroll. So Stroll seems to have a good 1 lap speed but his race pace has been a bit iffy apart from the Hungaroring. Be interesting to see if Hulkenberg starts near the front how well he can go
... or if he's allowed to start...

After all, it was rather convenient that he suffered from a "clutch bolt failure" last weekend - I'm sure that has nothing to do with preventing additional mileage on Perez' engines...

We start pulling that thread then it wouldn't be long before Alfa and Alpha (not confusing at all) were having an appeal lodged against them and there were fines all over the place. Of course that should happen but given that the FIA was castrated years ago and won't stand up to anyone with of money then it won't.

It's massively confusing but I don't think there's anything stopping Merc giving RP their CAD models. There's also nothing to stop Merc saying to them "this is what we use, come up with your own similar design"

What's not allowed is Merc saying "here's what we use, make one of those"

What I've seen alleged to have happened here is that "someone" was allowed next to the Mercedes with a 3D camera to take photos of every single element of the car. (It wasn't said whether this was at the factory, or not)...

Of course, once you have a 3D image of the entire car, you can create a wire-frame of the car, and reverse engineer everything... If that was done with the co-operation of Mercedes, that would be very different from just looking at images and constructing the car...

(I believe that this was broadcast on Dutch TV)...

That's what I thought but according to the FIA statement, Racing Point had Mercs cad models.

The way I understood it, they were given the cad models for the 2019 brake ducts (which at the time was allowed to be sold to other teams, but did not use it in the 2019 car). Because they then built their 2020 brake duct from the 2019 cad models, they broke the sporting regs...

So RP are fined for using Mercedes data, but there is no punsihment for Mercedes for giving them the data?

because before 2019 & before. it was allowed because they weren't listed parts. for 2020 they became listed parts.

The Artist..... is right. in the way i understand it force india used cad designs of w10 in 2019 when they were non listed parts so legal. the only issue is that they used the same design amended it for rear brake ducts on the 2020 car so illegal because it had to be their not Mercedes design

but it is amazing how teams are shocked pretending to be innocent. the whole grid copied brawn in 2009. Toro Rosso in 2008 the only difference was ferrari engine & super aguri just resprayed the car button took his maiden win

the only issue is that they used the same design amended it for rear brake ducts on the 2020 car so illegal

Actually, I think its the opposite, I read it as them using an unmodified 2019 design which was now illegal. Had they modified them with their own ammendments it would have been legal.

That's what I thought they were saying about the front ducts. They used a Merc design in 2019 but the 2020 car had a RP redesigned version and could therefore have been described as their own IP. The rear ducts were used in 2019 and 2020 so we're un modified and therefore still technically Merc IP.

Confused?

I know I am.

im confused took me about 20 mins to work it out before posting cider_and_toast . but are front & rear ducts the same because i would thought with the rear tyre they wouldve amended the size. but they would still be using mercedes designs but just making them bigger

but i still dont see the fuss. this isnt even in top 50 worst things a team has done. as i posted there are things deemed legal that are far worse than what racing point have done

I read it that they obtained both front and rear designs last year, but ran only one of them on the 2019 car. The ducts they ran on the 2019 car are legal for them to run in 2020 as they're theirs (sort-of homoglated to them by running last season)but the ducts that they did not run in 2019 are not.

I think.

The upshot of this is that if you're going to "cheat" go so big and so pisstakey that the FiA basically let you off if you promise to stop circumventing the fuel flow sensor.

The upshot of this is that if you're going to "cheat" go so big and so pisstakey that the FiA basically let you off if you promise to stop circumventing the fuel flow sensor.

the problem with the Ferrari cheating is that if they’d been thrown out for this then every team that has been designing parts to pass tests, Rather than the strict wording on the rules would also need to be thrown out...

think of all of the flexi-wings that have been designed over the years... illegal, but allowed to run because they pass the tests set out by the FIA.

Back
Top Bottom