Grand Prix 2016 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Strewth, Bruce! The Australian Grand Prix is nearly here, ahead of a 2016 season build-up suffering from staggeringly low expectations and the people who are paid handsomely to promote Formula One seemingly trying to kill it with their media comments. So...

Well, the good thing with low expectations is that they can easily be bettered. Although Mercedes may be miles ahead of the field, it is quite possible that Ferrari have closed the gap and actual racing may occur there. The midfield looks rather tighter this year. We have a new team (Haas), Renault are returning and Manor are having a proper go of it!

Add to that a great big unknown with the tyre rules, and a selection of tyres made by each team that will probably look quite daft given that it was made before the new elimination system of qualifying was announced. So tyre strategy and qualification strategy are still rather unknown, which could add some insanity unpredictability.

Melbourne is often a race of high attrition, with the walls too close to the track for those unused to new cars, and unreliability also raising its ugly and seldom seen head. Daniil Kvyat, Valteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Manor will be hoping to actually get to the start this year! Chances of attrition are hit by the exit-stage-left of Pastor Maldonado amid the complete collapse of the economy of Venezuela, but you never know :).

Despite the existance of Stoffel Vandoorne, the debutants are Mercedes' youth product Pascal Wehrlein, Indonesia's first ever F1 [pay-]driver Rio Haryanto and Jolyon "son-of-Jonathon" Palmer. It seems unlikely any will match Kevin Magnussen's 2nd-on-debut in 2014, however (which was, allegedly, the last time Ron Dennis smiled).

The last five Australian Grand Prix have been won by different drivers - Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Hamilton. I'd be surprised if Raikkonen won it this year and mystified if Button did. Those same drivers (minus Rosberg) have monopolised pole position here since Giancarlo Fisichella stuck his Renault on pole in a rain-storm in 2005.

Sit back, and lets hope there's something to enjoy. There's life in the old dog yet, despite you, Bernie.

Last edited:
Not really, it's the challenge of two top drivers / teams fighting it out race after race. To me, it doesn't matter who's in the fight providing there is one. I can worry about picking which driver to support after.

As Senna realised in 94, in terms of racing reputation, without Prost there would have been no Senna. Without Schumacher there would have been no Damon Hill etc. It always strikes me as a pyrrhic victory taking the title year after year with so little challenge.

Good point however, his risk of being killed was so many times greater than modern F1 drivers it's difficult to compare. That said, Clark and Lotus were outstanding in 63 and 65, if he was driving today he would have won in 62 and 64.

Reliability was also terrible back then, the drivers contributed greatly to the development of the cars (unlike today), and there were NO PAY DRIVERS, which means that the fields Clark competed against contained the likes of: Jack Brabham, Graham Hill (Clark's teammate in 1967 and 68), Jackie Stewart, Bruce McLaren, John Surtees, Jochen Rindt, Denis Hulme, Chris Amon, Jo Siffert Pedro Rodriquez, Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, Mike Spence, Jacky Ickx etc. There were also no driver aids (try to find a button or knob on the steering wheel of an F1 car of that era), no radio communication with the pits etc. The driver was strictly on his own, in direct contrast to today's environment.

I take issue with there being no pay drivers siffert_fan as in that era you could buy an F1 car and enter a race yourself. Piers Courage did just that, as did many others.

Anyway, F1 and technology will always be wedded together. Back in the days of Fangio and Farina they used to run the exhaust pipes through the cockpit and the drivers would end the race with huge burns on their legs. Not likes those wimps in the 60's with the engines at the back.

I think we might be straying off topic. My point is don't bemoan the advancement in technology and, as we saw last year with Hamilton versus Rosberg, and in previous seasons with Vettel versus Webber, the driver still makes a significant difference regardless of advice from the bloke on the pit wall..

The fact that F1 cars could be bought by private individuals allowed the late great Rob Walker to enter the likes of Stirling Moss.

The problem, for me, is that it seems as though every advancement in technology makes the driver an ever-smaller part of the equation.

Either way, in just a few hours we should have a much better idea how the season will play out. Due to the new shorter pre-season testing periods I believe we know less than ever the genuine pace of the cars. I expect the only thing we can say with some confidence is Merc in front. But by how much?

Gutierrez faster than Grosjean in both sessions. Now that's interesting.

The commentary team seemed to be suggesting that Guttierez is better than his two years in a very poor Sauber made him look. This was before the times too.

I still think he lacks race craft but we'll see.

The commentary team seemed to be suggesting that Guttierez is better than his two years in a very poor Sauber made him look. This was before the times too.

I still think he lacks race craft but we'll see.

Personally, I've always felt that Grosjean was overrated.

Look at his record - he was humiliated when first paired up with Alonso. He then returned to Lotus, and was beaten by Raikonnen (who has been repeatedly shown to be not as good as he used to be/was thought to be whilst at Ferrari).

All of Grosjean's reputation is built on having won in GP2, and having not been humiliated against Raikonnen.

Guttierrez making his way to the circuit.

ezgif.com-resize.gif

Back
Top Bottom