Grand Prix 2016 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Strewth, Bruce! The Australian Grand Prix is nearly here, ahead of a 2016 season build-up suffering from staggeringly low expectations and the people who are paid handsomely to promote Formula One seemingly trying to kill it with their media comments. So...

Well, the good thing with low expectations is that they can easily be bettered. Although Mercedes may be miles ahead of the field, it is quite possible that Ferrari have closed the gap and actual racing may occur there. The midfield looks rather tighter this year. We have a new team (Haas), Renault are returning and Manor are having a proper go of it!

Add to that a great big unknown with the tyre rules, and a selection of tyres made by each team that will probably look quite daft given that it was made before the new elimination system of qualifying was announced. So tyre strategy and qualification strategy are still rather unknown, which could add some insanity unpredictability.

Melbourne is often a race of high attrition, with the walls too close to the track for those unused to new cars, and unreliability also raising its ugly and seldom seen head. Daniil Kvyat, Valteri Bottas, Kevin Magnussen and Manor will be hoping to actually get to the start this year! Chances of attrition are hit by the exit-stage-left of Pastor Maldonado amid the complete collapse of the economy of Venezuela, but you never know :).

Despite the existance of Stoffel Vandoorne, the debutants are Mercedes' youth product Pascal Wehrlein, Indonesia's first ever F1 [pay-]driver Rio Haryanto and Jolyon "son-of-Jonathon" Palmer. It seems unlikely any will match Kevin Magnussen's 2nd-on-debut in 2014, however (which was, allegedly, the last time Ron Dennis smiled).

The last five Australian Grand Prix have been won by different drivers - Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Rosberg and Hamilton. I'd be surprised if Raikkonen won it this year and mystified if Button did. Those same drivers (minus Rosberg) have monopolised pole position here since Giancarlo Fisichella stuck his Renault on pole in a rain-storm in 2005.

Sit back, and lets hope there's something to enjoy. There's life in the old dog yet, despite you, Bernie.

Last edited:
I think an organised mass vote for Haryanto next time out might be a good idea. We could probably get it trending on Twitter. It would be amusing to see what the FIA did if this poll got hijacked by the internet.

F1.com when are you going to learn?

"* Note - in the interests of fairness, multiple votes identified as originating from the same source were not counted."

So basically this poll is going to be everyone voting and the FIA decided which of the top 6 highest drivers voted for they aren't embarrased to give the award too. Brilliant. Welcome to the public forum F1 we know how to vex you.

I feel sorry for Nasr only getting 29 votes! Mass vote for Nasr next time out?

So I loved the race this weekend, I was glued to the TV from start to finish. It's taken me a while to post as I have been trying to think about my awards for the race. The race has been covered extensively (and I'm loving the lack of negativity, well done all) so straight to the awards.

Pass of the race - Vettel off the line. This opened up the race and gave up hope for the season. The Red Baron will be a constant thorn in the side for Merc I believe.

Donkey of the race - This one was tough, I wanted to give it to Ferrari for their tyre choice but I think they were caught between a rock and a hard place. The played it conservatively and got bitten. It wasn't a complete balls up. The award then goes to The FIA for the complete cock up of qualifying. I'd have loved to have been an fly on the wall in the FOM bunker during quali, the profanity would have been mega.

Drive of the race - So many contenders, Rosbergs controlled drive, Lewis's recovery, RoGro's drive for points, Palmer's gutsy debut performance. I feel that I am going to have to go with RoGro and his team scoring on debut. (Quick fact - Romain became only the third man in F1 history to score full points in a race without making a pit stop. 10 CTA pounds for anyone who can name the other two).

Bonus award - Feel good moments - Fernando climbing out of that wreck, Lewis embracing Nico to congratulate him, the podium antics.

All in all a great Sunday preceded by the worst Saturday I can remember (including race weekends when there was no running on Saturday).

Seb Vettel did the no stop strategy at Monaco in 2011 - and the other was Force India during the refueling era also at Moanco when the race went to time rather than laps. Can;t remember the driver but it might have been Sutil.

Last edited:
I'm actualyl starting to doubt my own answers now. Maybe Vettel had changed once at Monaco 2011. I know they both happened at Monaco though.

*grumble grumble stupid memory grumble grumble*

I'm guessing this won't be put back together in time for Bahrain.

fernando-alonso-4.jpg
Think they might be able to save the the right wing mirror, probably save them about £15,000 with that alone.....

Joking aside, just glad he was safe after that incident

I think an organised mass vote for Haryanto next time out might be a good idea. We could probably get it trending on Twitter. It would be amusing to see what the FIA did if this poll got hijacked by the internet.
Isn't that a bit like when the Public voted for the Spice Girls to perform in Baghdad:

Toronto beats Baghdad in vote for Spice Girls gig

Last edited:
RasputinLives Vettel famously changed once and it was the wrong tyres that was fitted which meant he could stay out longer whilst Mclaren and Button went for a 3 stop strategy and probably should have won the race had they had track position

Fun fact: Mercedes saw that track position was important and a few years later would change Hamilton's tyres for no particular reason under a safety car, costing him a race!

Back
Top Bottom