2016-17 Silly Season. Drivers Market

Not sure Porsche would place him with Webber if he moved to WEC. The experience of Webber an Hartley's youth is working well for them. Hartley's very quick, usually quicker than Webber so I don't think they'd move him aside for Button. Maybe they'd move their third driver, Bernhard aside, or place him in one of their other cars.

Last edited:
I was simply referring to category, rather than a specific team, after all during the last furore over his future, Webber said JB should join him in WEC.

Or alternatively McLaren could put Vandoorde into WER with a promise of a drive in the all conquering Honda in 2018.

I think Mclaren are going to have their hands forced on the Vandoorne issue because if they Don't give him the drive quickly he is going to get pinched by Red Bull.

Red Bull's main junior Gasly is not cutting the mustard and all their others are not ready yet. Marko has tried to pinch Vandoorne before and they need to replace Kvyat next year. Stoffle will take the offer unless Mclaren come good on their promises soon.

RasputinLives Only problem is if Stoffel joins Red Bull porgreamme.. he will be against Sainz with no guarantee that he will get into a front running car until 2019 at least since Ricciardo and Verstappen are pretty much locked in

I think Stoffel would probably consider take an offer from Renault seeing they will improve rapidly eventually after this season

Does Vandoorne want to drive a Mclaren if it doesn't improve much this season? we were promised bottom end top ten yet it still has problems qualifying in the middle of Q2, the difference between Button and Alonso is only about a tenth in qualifying and even less in the race. In the hands of an average F1 driver it would do even worse, though Vandoorne beat Jenson on his one and only outing, it wasn't conclusive.

If Vandoorne drives for Mclaren there is a good chance he will take over as No1 when Alonso retires whereas at Red Bull that will not happen with the queue of drivers they have and especially they are doing everything to protect Max Verstappen

teabagyokel You know Williams could have said we have drivers under contract and aint looking elsewhere like Red Bull or do or say they will look at internal drivers first

or simply denied they were interested

If Vandoorne drives for Mclaren there is a good chance he will take over as No1 when Alonso retires whereas at Red Bull that will not happen with the queue of drivers they have and especially they are doing everything to protect Max Verstappen

I do see the logic with that one and you're probably right. Stoffel is a confident lad though and I reckon he believes he could blow Riccardo, Verstappen and Sainz out the water. I wouldn't like to bet against him doing it either

The kid (he's mid 20's by the way so not really a kid) is as good as the hype from what I've seen. I just hope he gets the chance to prove it in a decent car of any type at somepoint.

Sainz apparently is going to stay at Toro Rosso for 2017 despite interest from Ferrari and Renault

Perez not confirming whether he will commit to Force India which I am not surprised seeing the Mexican sponsors at Ferrari might apply some pressure on Arrivabene

RasputinLives I do see that Vandoorne would be better served at Mclaren. For Red Bull to suddenly swoop for him would be a slap in the face for Carlos Sainz who they seem to like and want to do well.

Vandoorne does seem to have a presence about him that if you give him the car he will do the business

Road of Bones I think Alonso really shot down Honda at their own race track and if they are that serious they've got to improve

vintly I don't think anyone would want to back a bunch of losers would they ?:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom