Grand Prix 2014 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Ciao e benvenuto l'introduzione per il Gran Premio italiano di Monza 2014.

Silverstone, Interlagos, Monza. These illustrious names are the circuits where the sounds of the engines are drowned out by the noise of the fans. Few motorsport arenas can boast of an atmosphere to rival the ancient coliseum of Rome and Monza has always been a pilgrimage for the legion of rosso clad Tifosi.

Monza is synonymous with Ferrari yet this year the prancing horse seems to be more of a lumbering donkey. What effect will this have on the Tifosi and their embrace of the F1 circus this September?

The answer is probably no effect at all.

The reason for this is the love for motorsport shown by the Italian fans ever since the tracks creation in 1922. The sea of red running down to the Parabolica and back along the main straight indicate the devotion of Ferrari fans of all nationalities who are united under a single banner.

Few circuits have been captured on film as much as Monza, many of the sports iconic images and videos were taken at this magnificent race course and you can chart the history of the sport along the twists and turns of the tarmac. It’s also a record breaker, in 1971 the top five drivers finished within 0.61 seconds. A feat only made possible by the lack of chicanes during that era. Phenomenal speeds for the period were also set in those most dangerous of years.

Monza has always produced a mixture of triumph and tragedy, Fangio, Stewart, Lauda, Andretti & Scheckter all secured drivers championships at this circuit while Ascari, von Trip, Rindt & Peterson all lost their lives here.

Only 3 drivers have won at Monza and won the championship in the last 20 years, Senna, Schumacher & Vettel. With Rosberg on top in the championship, will winning this race mean he adds his name to the list or will the Monza jinx strike again.

As for this years race, it would have been hard to see past a Mercedes powered victory due to the long straights but after Ricciardo finished on top in Spa does engine power still have the advantage over aerodynamics?

Whatever happens in the championship we are in for an exciting weekend of racing!

Last edited:
No surprises that FOM once again tried to manipulate public opinion with selective editing and radio broadcasts.

Toto Wolff said:
There was a smile when the two [Hamilton and Rosberg] were close to each other. It was a 'here we go again, this is a close battle.'

Toto Wolff said:
Not all communication is being broadcast. "After the pit stop, the message was 'I think we should save the tyres on both cars and take it to the end and let them fight at the end'.
But we changed the opinion because there was clearly a possibility for the driver who was following to overtake at the beginning of the stint and the end of the stint.
So we came back with the message to the drivers that they were free to use whatever modes were available. It was according to plan.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115779

Brogan - That doesn't surprise me.

There was a huge shitstorm caused in Germany after the Euro 2012 (football (soccer)) semi-final when a German fan had been shown crying after Italy's 1st goal in that match. Bild did the tabloid and tracked down the young lady, who had been crying during the national anthem instead.

Isn't sport interesting enough without having to create new narratives from the ether by using non-chronological pictures?

The video coverage on the BBC web site is about 40 seconds behind that on BBC TV ; just how far behind real time the TV coverage is I do not know.

I would have to say that on the whole in reflection from what I may or may not have seen at a guess using my intuition probably maybe possibly taking all things into consideration ooohhh around about kinda near but not quite 5 seconds or so give or take an inch...

Back
Top Bottom