Grand Prix 2014 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The races are now coming thick and fast and the Drivers Championship is warming up nicely after Nico Rosberg's first DNF of the season gave a relatively easy win to Lewis Hamilton. The circus moves on now to Germany, at the emasculated Hockenheim circuit.

Last year Vettel won the first home race of his career. This year I'm sure another German driver, in the shape of Nico Rosberg, will be hoping this will be his turn. After Lewis won his home race maybe Mercedes will have something predetermined (oops, I've just started the first conspiracy theory).

Outside of both Mercedes cars failing it's hard to see any other team winning. Should the Silver Arrows falter Williams are looking best placed to pick something up but I suspect it's more likely to be a podium for either Massa or Bottas. McLaren appeared to find some pace at Silverstone, maybe their technical team have finally realised they have the best engine on the grid and should, perhaps, take advantage of it. Red Bull will also be looking to pick up the crumbs and, as appears to be the pattern, Ricciardo is more likely benefit than Vettel.

The Force India cars were off the pace in Silverstone, perhaps Hockenheim will better suit them. I'm sure the other Nico will want to put on a good show for his home crowd. It will be interesting to see which German midfield runner Fernando Alonso chooses to have a fight with. His preference most races has been Nico Hulkenberg but at Silverstone he decided to have a fight with Sebastian Vettel, which was quite entertaining.

Toro Rosso will be just behind the Ferrari's and Red Bull's, maybe collecting point or two. Of the other teams Lotus will just ahead of Sauber, the biggest question will be who will crash into whom during the race. Marussia and Caterham will fighting to be last, with Caterham almost certain to win that battle.

I forgot to mention Kimi Raikkonen. Hopefully he will be fully recovered for the German race but, on current form, Ferrari might look to stick someone else in the car.

Did I mention I'll be there? Well I will. Look out for a fat bloke with two kids waving like a tit at the camera. Maybe I'll put some Union Jack underpants on my head, that should please the German TV director :D Bring on the frites and wurst!

Not really.

Had Hamilton not stopped 3 times, he wouldn't have been able to go as quickly! Had he stopped twice, i would put money on that he would have finished 30-40 seconds behind.....

But after first Hamilton's stint which was significantly longer than Rosberg one
there was may predict that Hamilton has less pits tactic.

olegg

Hamilton started on the soft tyres, Rosberg on the super softs. Hamilton's tyres were new, Rosberg's were used. As such, of course Rosberg stopped first...
Rosberg didn't need to stop three times, as he had a fast enough car, even without fresh tyres!

Kimi Raikkonen out of the points and 30 seconds behind Alonso again - oh dear do you really want to keep him Ferrari?

Vettel beats Ricciardo - for once he has the luck as Daniel had to jink past Massa and lost all those positions

Massa - what does this guy have to do to get lucky break in the Williams?

Mephistopheles

Given his accident yesterday I still think he deserves merit as a good recovery drive..the only other driver I see deserving any credit is Bottas for getting another podium

Rosberg pretty much strolled it

Button and Ricciardo were unlucky

Alonso was his usual fighting best out of an average car

Next race Hungary could a lottery as sheer horsepower aint going to help

I agree with Ted Kravitz; Magnussen made an excellent recovery to 9th after ending up 10 seconds behind the back of the field after the first lap incident (and his best lap was 1.1 seconds faster than that of his team mate).

And Ricciardo did well after oh, so nearly getting caught in the shunt, dropping from 5th down to 14th at the end of lap 1 (a couple of places ahead of Hamilton) and fighting back to finish 6th (3 places behind Hamilton).

Oh, and I suppose that means Hamilton did quite well too.

In truth Hamberg I thought Hamilton's race was a bit messy there seemed to be carbon fiber flying everywhere each time he made a pass and on one occasion he was completely out of control and nearly took out two other drivers and he was lucky not to end his own and somebody else's race on at least two other occasions, he assumed that Jenson was letting him past, he or his team also assumed there was going to be a safety car you know what they say about assumptions don't you? They are the mother of all **** ups, so no I saw nothing special about it and yes all things considered it was a very scruffy race from him and one he was lucky to get away with.

Still you've got to give points for trying..

Last edited:
I have to say, if he tried that lot in a McLaren of previous years it would have crumbled, but.... It was a spirited drive and I'm not sure 'half the grid' would have made a good few of those critical moves. Maybe another two or three would but deffo not half.

For me Ricciardo and Alonso were the stars of the show once again Alonso showed he isn't the geriatric old fossil who should retire the sooner the better to let the young guns have a go as someone said on another thread.

And while I'm on the subject why do some people say certain drivers should be thinking about retiring in the early 30's and others are suggest that a women namely Susie Wolff should be starting an F1 career at 32 years old?

Last edited:
For me Ricciardo and Alonso were the stars of the show once again Alonso showed he isn't the geriatric old fossil who should retire the sooner the better to let the young guns have a go as someone said on another thread.

Agree with that! Lovely racing! I still think Alonso is frickin (nowt to do with FRIC) brilliant and Ricciardo impressive a more and more each race! The relaxation of rules is really helping the spectacle I think.

Back
Top Bottom