Grand Prix 2014 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The races are now coming thick and fast and the Drivers Championship is warming up nicely after Nico Rosberg's first DNF of the season gave a relatively easy win to Lewis Hamilton. The circus moves on now to Germany, at the emasculated Hockenheim circuit.

Last year Vettel won the first home race of his career. This year I'm sure another German driver, in the shape of Nico Rosberg, will be hoping this will be his turn. After Lewis won his home race maybe Mercedes will have something predetermined (oops, I've just started the first conspiracy theory).

Outside of both Mercedes cars failing it's hard to see any other team winning. Should the Silver Arrows falter Williams are looking best placed to pick something up but I suspect it's more likely to be a podium for either Massa or Bottas. McLaren appeared to find some pace at Silverstone, maybe their technical team have finally realised they have the best engine on the grid and should, perhaps, take advantage of it. Red Bull will also be looking to pick up the crumbs and, as appears to be the pattern, Ricciardo is more likely benefit than Vettel.

The Force India cars were off the pace in Silverstone, perhaps Hockenheim will better suit them. I'm sure the other Nico will want to put on a good show for his home crowd. It will be interesting to see which German midfield runner Fernando Alonso chooses to have a fight with. His preference most races has been Nico Hulkenberg but at Silverstone he decided to have a fight with Sebastian Vettel, which was quite entertaining.

Toro Rosso will be just behind the Ferrari's and Red Bull's, maybe collecting point or two. Of the other teams Lotus will just ahead of Sauber, the biggest question will be who will crash into whom during the race. Marussia and Caterham will fighting to be last, with Caterham almost certain to win that battle.

I forgot to mention Kimi Raikkonen. Hopefully he will be fully recovered for the German race but, on current form, Ferrari might look to stick someone else in the car.

Did I mention I'll be there? Well I will. Look out for a fat bloke with two kids waving like a tit at the camera. Maybe I'll put some Union Jack underpants on my head, that should please the German TV director :D Bring on the frites and wurst!

Who said Hamilton assumed Button was letting him through? The way I saw it, Hamilton thought Button was letting him through (or perhaps under-steering wide) from his line round the hairpin, and immediately put his hand up afterwards to admit his error of judgement. Anyone can say in hindsight that caution would have been b

And Mercedes anticipated that a safety car might well be on the way, as did the commentators, so it was a quick-thinking gamble that didn't quite come off rather than an assumption. The safety car certainly should have been deployed; I haven't seen marshals having to run across a track like that while racing continued, and a stationary car in the middle of the track, for a long time - but hey-ho, it would have disadvantaged the home driver at the front).

Who said Hamilton assumed Button was letting him through? The way I saw it, Hamilton thought Button was letting him through (or perhaps under-steering wide) from his line round the hairpin, and immediately put his hand up afterwards to admit his error of judgement. Anyone can say in hindsight that caution would have been b

And Mercedes anticipated that a safety car might well be on the way, as did the commentators, so it was a quick-thinking gamble that didn't quite come off rather than an assumption. The safety car certainly should have been deployed; I haven't seen marshals having to run across a track like that while racing continued, and a stationary car in the middle of the track, for a long time - but hey-ho, it would have disadvantaged the home driver at the front).

Ahh the German conspiracy indeed by not getting the safety car out and putting Rosberg under pressure:whistle:

And while I'm on the subject why do some people say certain drivers should be thinking about retiring in the early 30's and others are suggest that a women namely Susie Wolff should be starting an F1 career at 32 years old?

Just to be clear, I'm not one of the ones who thinks Alonso should be considering quitting.

Nor am I, in my defences of Susie Wolff, necessarily advocating that she be handed a race seat (though if she were, I don't see anything wrong with that if a team wanted her). After all, Damon Hill didn't start in F1 until the age of 32 and became world champion when he was 36. I just dislike the disparaging remarks about 'women drivers' that always accompanies her forays onto the track.

Mephistopheles

By 'thought' I meant that Hamilton made a judgement (as far as I saw it) as to what Button was doing from his position on the track and angle of attack going into the hairpin.

To use the word 'Assumed' to me would suggest that he took it for granted out of some sort of arrogance that Button was making way for him (I'm Lewis Hamilton in a Mercedes and I'm fighting for the championship - of course you'll be getting out of my way).

It seemed from the post race analysis it would have been reasonable for Hamilton to have thoughtassumed that Button would have given him the room.

To be fair to button I don't think even he knew his car was that slow!

Chad Stewarthill - From what Hamilton said on the podium, Button had been not fighting Mercedes overtakes in previous rounds of the championship; he certainly did not fight too much at Silverstone.

I think it is utterly reasonable for Hamilton, with prior experience of Button not fighting and knowledge of Button's modus operandi of only fighting battles he can win and not losing time on the others (borne of Button's tactical acuity), should be ready for Button to give him room.

It is a racing incident, but no real harm done to anyone.

Button said this about it.

When I felt the hit from Lewis [Hamilton, on lap 30], I was a bit surprised. A lot of drivers take a wider entry line into Turn Six in order to get a better exit - perhaps Lewis expected me to let him past, but why would I let anybody through? We were racing.
He's got a point.

But anyway Lewis admitted he was wrong held his hand up and apologized on the podium in front of everyone so all's well that ends well, there's no point in making a big fuss about it.

Last edited:
He's being slightly disingenuous though, because he (sensibly) has not fought too hard against clearly superior cars - including against Hamilton two weeks ago.

Button is maximising his own race result, and he knows he's not racing with Hamilton.

They were on the same lap but yeah there is no way he could race that Merc, but teams don't take to kindly to a driver just jumping out of the way unless it is a blue flag situation...

Mephistopheles

Given his accident yesterday I still think he deserves merit as a good recovery drive..the only other driver I see deserving any credit is Bottas for getting another podium

It was good to see the accident yesterday and coming from 20th place, didn't have a negative effect on his good performance today, which resulted in a podium finish.

I don't understand why Mercedes took a gamble (on a safety car for Sutil?) on pulling Lewis in early to go to a second set of super softs. I think this cost him second place. There was no way he could race to the end competitively unless there'd been 5 or more laps under safety car conditions. They had a good strategy to go 2 stints on super softs, and even going onto softs for the final stint could've resulted in overtaking Bottas. IMHO.
It was quite odd not to see the safety car though, and rather refreshing in a way,

Back
Top Bottom