2014 driver line up market

Does the FIA know something we don't? :D

BUbWFsGCIAAdspu.jpg:large

Interesting factoid that might have bearing on next seasons driver line ups is that Grosjean and Hulkenberg have been team-mates before. They were both part of a 4 man team for Mercedes powered ASM in the F3 Euro Series in 2007 - the other drivers were Kamui Kobayashi and GP2's Tom Dillman - they both raced all 20 races in the series and it was Grosjean who came out on top winning the championship with 6 races and 6 podiums. Hulkenberg finished 3rd with 4 wins and 4 podiums and it marks his only year pre-F1 in single seater racing without winning a title. Just to round off the interesting they were both split by none other than the Moose, Sebastian Buemi, who came in second just 11 points behind Grosjean. Kobayashi was 4th (quality field that year).

Not sure what that means for the future but maybe Grosjean has a slight physiological edge? We've only ever seen him up against Alonso and Kimi - could big jean shock us all and stick it to the Hulk? Stranger things have happened.

RasputinLives

They raced against each other in GP2 and before the Hulk walked over the title - he actually had a very poor start whilst Grosjean made a flying start finishing 1st or 2nd until the distractions of Renault caused him to tail off and quit the programme

Grosjean and Buemi for Lotus with Hulkenberg as a reserve driver? :D

In all seriousness though, I think Hulkenberg is the best out of them all (apart from Buemi of course), and I also think Grosjean seriously needs to be replaced.

I would go with a Massa and Hulkenberg line up, rather than a Grosjean and Hulkenberg. But with Grosjean bringing the sponsors of Total, and him being managed by Eric Boullier, I don't think he'll get dropped.

Il_leone I had forgot RoGro would have beat Hulkenberg to the GP2 title if he hadn't been pulled into F1! Another good point. I wonder if Hulkenberg came in those little facts just might make him nervous.

People keep saying about Grosjean not getting results but to be honest I think he's been pretty much where the car is and his results haven't been that far down on Kimi recentlt. I think he had a very nervous start to the season with some pretty average results but if you had the whole world telling you that you were a walking accident you'd probably be a bit cautious too. I still think he pulled off one of the best moves of the season in Hungary whatever the stewards say.

I think its very easy to forget the boy has had such a great junior career and has only had experienced world champion team mates to go up against. I'd like to see what he could do if he wasn't automaticly the number 2 driver who got all the updates second so another season for RoGro please.

Grosjean definitely warrants another season in my opinion. He had a sluggish start (that he blamed on a chassis issue, and changing the chassis did seem to help) and Raikkonen has well and truly beaten him but they seem to be getting closer as the season goes on and any mistakes Grosjean has made this year have been marginal as opposed to obvious like last season. Also, replacing both your drivers going in to 2014 sounds like a bit of a death sentence.

On a different note, McLaren are consistently making noises about their drivers being replaceable, which seems strange to me. First they were praising Raikkonen, this week they're saying driver continuity is not a priority. I'm almost 100% sure that Button and Perez will continue in to 2014 so I'm not really sure what they're playing at.

EDIT: Toying with Alonso seems to be what they're playing at... fat chance of that happening I think. Ferrari would feel like right idiots if it does though.

Last edited:
I understand keeping Button because he's performing where the car is with the occasional good performance such as Spa and China

Perez has not demonstrated the qualities to be a top driver yet and seems to rub people's noses the wrong way

the rumour of Alonso today as they say in F1 you never say never

Mclaren are offering an olive branch to Alonso... looks like EJ's prediction that Nando could be tempted by Mclaren Honda may become fruitful . Now Mclaren needs to do is to tempt Marlboro back Santander jumping back to Mclaren would not surprise either me.

Would Ferrari accept Perez in return then a driver Luca did not rate and has been justified

The timing is a bit odd though with both drivers saying their deal is nearly done before this news came out and it appears to suggest Perez is the one they really would like to dispense with if given the opportunity

There was never any possibility of Alonso moving to McLaren next season. What is there that would attract a top driver? The overwhelming success of the 2013 McLaren chassis? The exclusivity of the 2014 engine that will be in the McLaren? The return of Ferrari's best ever designer?

Ferrari know how to design/build engines, there could well be a shakeup, Ferrari could finish up with the power advantage, we won't know until at least after the first race. If Alonso were to move a gamble with Honda, if Ferrari cannot produce a car with winning potential yet again, could be worth a punt.

It's gonna be fascinating to see who ends up at Lotus. For me Grosjean hasn't done enough to warrant a seat at the team again next season. I believe in the next 2 races or so we'll hear confirmation that Nico Hulkenberg is to drive for them with Massa, Di Resta and Grosjean going for that final seat :). For me I'd give the seats to both Hulkenberg and Di Resta, both did fabulous for Force India in 2012 and If I was Lotus i'd certainly be looking back at past seasons and to see just how well Paul started the season. If it wasn't for the tyre's been changed half way through the season Paul could be sitting on more points than he currently is on now IMHO. Plus Hulks showed in the past what he is capable of, IMO these two would score points on a regular bases for the team and in general would be the third best paired teammates of 2014 after Ferrari and Mercedes. However, if they decided on Massa i'd be 8-) with that as well as he's a proven race winner in the past. However, if Grosjean stays with the team I'd literally say WTF 100 times cause he's done bugger all to deserve that seat for a third season.

Sutil looks set to stay at Force India next season, from my understanding his sponsorship money is needed. Should Di Resta join Lotus, the rumour is Massa is the only name in the frame to replace him. Force India want experienced men in the car to guide them to points and will not look at rookies. However, if Di Resta doesn't join Lotus it'll be a fourth season with the team and from my understanding Di Resta might welcome a status quo with new regs.

Sauber look set to sign that Russian kid if he gets his super license, with Gutierrez likely to keep his seat. If Russian kid can't get in Bianchi is likely to be in a Sauber seat.

On to Toro Rosso, from what the lads on Sky F1 were saying it could be a choice between Mitch Evans and Alex Felix da Costa for the seat alongside JEV.

Williams will remain status quo I reckon.

Caterham and Marussia might end up with the same maybe Pic dropped for Kovalainen but Bianchi and Chilton are likely to stay with Marussia :thumbsup:.

That's my two cents worth on it all :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't Enstone all but confirmed Grosjean?

I think Caledo is in the mix for Force India.

Be surprised if Mitch Evans got the nod at Toro Rosso over all the boys on the junior programme although he does look pretty quick on his day so it would be good.

Nasr will land a drive somewhere I imagine.

Last edited:
I think Eric Boullier has said he wants to keep Roman because team continuity will help

This is also going to be one of the last seats announced as Bouillier says the team needs to sort out its finances first - not as late as Force India I suspect

If Hulkenberg doesn't get the Lotus seat, which he bloody well should do, I'm not sure he ever will. He has the reputation of being a very talented driver but he's already missed out on top drives at McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.

I'm more intrigued by the McLaren seats at the moment I wonder if they are delaying announcing Button until they decide what to do with Perez, because if they announce Button and do not confirm Perez the rumour mill will go into melt down...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom