Grand Prix 2014 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As Mark Webber kindly pointed out on the podium interviews Nico Rosberg won last years British GP. On the back of a win in Austria I'm sure Nico will be hoping for the same again and to have the chance to further extend his lead in the drivers title race. But this is the British Grand Prix and Lewis Hamilton is bound to be pumped up to put on a good show for his home crowd.

I have a vague recollection of problems with tyres at this race last year. Somehow I don't think there will be a repeat even with the "sharp kerbs" which Pirelli tried to lay the blame on still in place.

Behind the Mercs Williams are clearly the best of the rest or did Austria flatter to deceive? Force India are also there or there abouts and both of the FI drivers seem to be enjoying having the most powerful engine on the grid as they stack others cars up behind them, wearing their tyres down to the canvas.

Red Bull must be getting close to some grid penalties for Vettel with another technical failure in Austria so it looks, once again, like it will be down to Ricciardo to up hold Red Bull and Renault honours in Northamptonshire. Unless they are pushed close again by their junior team, who have shown great pace compared to the Newey cars.

In the middle of all these will be Fernando Alonso who doesn't seem to realise that the Ferrari is crap. Perhaps he should have a chat with Kimi who is making every effort to show just how bad the car is.

There will be some other teams there and of them McLaren might score some points but that's about it. So, after a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen this little island will give us a couple of hours of intense excitement or teeth grinding tedium. I'm sure most that will be there will be hoping for a Lewis win, after all there aren't any other British drivers with a hope in hell of getting in the top 6.

Hamilton gave pole himself.
Rejection of the last attempt was a mistake.
Maybe he was afraid to risk the car on a wet track with the best time in the asset and seeing that no one in the first two sectors did not improve.
But now he will have to correct his mistake in the race.
In Austria, there was a similar situation.

I reckon Hamilton tried to prevent Nico getting over the line in time to start his last lap, got flustered when it didn't work and gave up on that lap...

certainly he could have been trying to play games.... but I reckon he genuinely thought the lap would be slow....

But he should know by now it ain't over till the fat lady sings....what do you lose by doing one more lap with your only realistic threat behind you.... nothing...what do you lose if you give him a free shot at your pole time....well Pole Position obviously!

If roles had been reversed Ham would have done exactly what Ros did and had a last shot at it...he'd never have pulled out of the lap so he should not have expected Ros to pull out either...

There isn't a single driver out there that hasn't had an error in judgement at some point in time. People just like to relish in it more when it's Hamilton.

I reckon Hamilton tried to prevent Nico getting over the line in time to start his last lap, got flustered when it didn't work and gave up on that lap...

Utterly absurd. If his intent was to truly hamper Rosberg then he would have just stayed in front of him for the entire lap. Not to mention that it would have been obvious to the team if he somehow prevented Rosberg from starting his lap.

There isn't a single driver out there that hasn't had an error in judgement at some point in time. People just like to relish in it more when it's Hamilton.

I think that is because of the fervor of his hyperfans. Some of his quotes (although it is impossible to say how accurate they are ,as they could be carefully chosen snippets or taken out of context) such as "being hungrier than Rosberg" DO come off as supremely arrogant. I would assume that everyone in F1 is equally hungry for the title, otherwise they wouldn't BE in F1.

Last edited:
I think that is because of the fervor of his hyperfans.

Again, just ridiculous.

People don't like the way some of his supporters act, so what do they do, decide to act more like them of course! You see the problem there? One group is reacting to the driver and the sport, the other is reacting to the people supporting the driver and the sport. The irony is regularly lost by most offenders though.

It was when I posted, now it's overcast and cold. Bloody country. Can't see any rain clouds though.

England, the only place you can where t-shirt gloves, suntan lotion and fleece in the space of an hour!

As storied as Silverstone is, I wish the British GP would alternate with Brands Hatch, which I personally prefer, although it is a bit short. Maybe letting letting Brands have one British GP in three would work.

Brands is nowhere near modern F1 standards. There's a reason they haven't raced there since 86.

The real tragedy was that Silverstone was left off the calendar every other year for decades as it usually produced a better GP than BH.

Hamilton fans out in force
image.jpg

I'm sat in village with the Mercedes cap if you want to look out for me!

Please be more specific! I'm sure you're not the only young lady supporting the Mercs - row and seat number will do!! :D

I agree with what Lauda said. There is almost no chance that someone will hit that barrier again in that place.

Back
Top Bottom