Grand Prix 2014 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As Mark Webber kindly pointed out on the podium interviews Nico Rosberg won last years British GP. On the back of a win in Austria I'm sure Nico will be hoping for the same again and to have the chance to further extend his lead in the drivers title race. But this is the British Grand Prix and Lewis Hamilton is bound to be pumped up to put on a good show for his home crowd.

I have a vague recollection of problems with tyres at this race last year. Somehow I don't think there will be a repeat even with the "sharp kerbs" which Pirelli tried to lay the blame on still in place.

Behind the Mercs Williams are clearly the best of the rest or did Austria flatter to deceive? Force India are also there or there abouts and both of the FI drivers seem to be enjoying having the most powerful engine on the grid as they stack others cars up behind them, wearing their tyres down to the canvas.

Red Bull must be getting close to some grid penalties for Vettel with another technical failure in Austria so it looks, once again, like it will be down to Ricciardo to up hold Red Bull and Renault honours in Northamptonshire. Unless they are pushed close again by their junior team, who have shown great pace compared to the Newey cars.

In the middle of all these will be Fernando Alonso who doesn't seem to realise that the Ferrari is crap. Perhaps he should have a chat with Kimi who is making every effort to show just how bad the car is.

There will be some other teams there and of them McLaren might score some points but that's about it. So, after a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen this little island will give us a couple of hours of intense excitement or teeth grinding tedium. I'm sure most that will be there will be hoping for a Lewis win, after all there aren't any other British drivers with a hope in hell of getting in the top 6.

I'm hoping for great things from the Williams. But when I hope for great things from a team they fall flat on their face. So I won't put money on it.
Not that I'm a pessimist or anything.

We've just come off the 3 GP with the shortest circuits on the calendar, which automatically closes the gap to Mercedes for everybody. I believe this fact has flattered the competition a bit. Silverstone is the 2nd longest circuit now and Mercedes should be able to lock out the front row fairly comfortably. I won't even venture a guess as to how this race pans out. I'm sure it will be enthralling though. July 4th cannot come soon enough.

Forecasts for rain on Saturday afternoon and showers on Sunday afternoon. We all know that the circuit has its own microclimate, so who can tell? If rain does intervene it could be a deciding factor!

We've just come off the 3 GP with the shortest circuits on the calendar, which automatically closes the gap to Mercedes for everybody. I believe this fact has flattered the competition a bit. Silverstone is the 2nd longest circuit now and Mercedes should be able to lock out the front row fairly comfortably. I won't even venture a guess as to how this race pans out. I'm sure it will be enthralling though. July 4th cannot come soon enough.

Because of the law of large numbers?

Anyway, a (partially) wet race would be GREAT!

Regarding brakes, Silverstone is among the easiest track, while some of the recent races have been among the hardest.

The Silverstone campsite toilet facilities look like a big improvement on last year.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 10.25.54.png

P1 today will be the first time in 22 years that a woman has taken part in an F1 race weekend.

Go Susie.

don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash don't crash

Back
Top Bottom