Grand Prix 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Formula One season hosts its greatest irony every August; that its race in Belgium is famous and successful partly because it is built into the side of a hill. And while the supposed difficulty of naming 5 famous Belgians is a cliché, naming 5 famous corners at Spa is easy. Pouhon, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop and La Source, for example. There's a lot of debate about that other corner's difficulty in 2014's F1 cars, but Eau Rouge is and always will be an inspiring sight.

The battle at the front is, as always likely to involve Mercedes cars. Lewis Hamilton has won the Belgian Grand Prix a number of times more than 0 and less than 3 in the past, but will surely hope to actually be in with a sniff of victory after Saturday's qualifying session. Rosberg's run of poles has been rather unchallenged more recently, but his last few opposed sessions have also resulted in starts from the front. He has an 11 point lead to defend, which makes this rather more fun than certain other teams dominating.

Who is most likely to challenge? Or, even more likely, finish third? Well, on a high-speed circuit such as this, Mercedes customers surely must stand a massive advantage, meaning Williams in particular look likely to take out that second row, unless more poor prime tyre work as they did in Hungary. It is traditionally Force India's best chance to take the good points at Spa and Monza too, so watch out for them.

Red Bull and Ferrari are, as usual, most likely to lead the charges for their respective engines. Ferrari seem to have decided to coincide their perennial bloodletting with their best result of the season, which is an odd choice, while Seb Vettel will be hoping to come good on the promise of the last two weeks and finally start to beat Ricciardo. It is a better circuit for the Bulls than Christian Horner would have you believe.

With the chance of rain never zero and a range of corners guaranteed to entertain, the Belgian Grand Prix is a perennial highlight, long may it reign, and lets hope 2014 will be as good as some of the great moments of Spas gone by.

And my bloody friend in Spain is getting married on Spaday meaning I'll be travelling over qualifying and missing the lot! I told off her Fiancé for allowing it, but he's already in trouble with his amigos as Spaday also the first day of Liga.

Spa is the start of the countdown towards, well, towards what. More of the same, Rosberg as the champ, Lewis as the champ. Or will we get a surge from Ferrari?
What will Bernie do next? Will Raikkonen make it to the end of the season, (Or Button for that matter)
So many questions!
:snigger:

I can certainly see Raikkonen not making it to the end of the season, but if Button doesn't I will be thoroughly surprised. If that were to happen it certainly wouldn't be because of his performance but more of McLaren wishing to move on.

Mephistopheles
I see your point when drivers suddenly cut across the pit lane after going wide at the bus stop to go in. Previously the pit entry was before you arrived at the bus stop

I think someone had a nasty accident one year - can't remember who which started before the bus stop and the car was heading towards the start and finish straight and thankfully did not cause a big accident

Back
Top Bottom