Grand Prix 2014 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The Formula One season hosts its greatest irony every August; that its race in Belgium is famous and successful partly because it is built into the side of a hill. And while the supposed difficulty of naming 5 famous Belgians is a cliché, naming 5 famous corners at Spa is easy. Pouhon, Stavelot, Blanchimont, Bus Stop and La Source, for example. There's a lot of debate about that other corner's difficulty in 2014's F1 cars, but Eau Rouge is and always will be an inspiring sight.

The battle at the front is, as always likely to involve Mercedes cars. Lewis Hamilton has won the Belgian Grand Prix a number of times more than 0 and less than 3 in the past, but will surely hope to actually be in with a sniff of victory after Saturday's qualifying session. Rosberg's run of poles has been rather unchallenged more recently, but his last few opposed sessions have also resulted in starts from the front. He has an 11 point lead to defend, which makes this rather more fun than certain other teams dominating.

Who is most likely to challenge? Or, even more likely, finish third? Well, on a high-speed circuit such as this, Mercedes customers surely must stand a massive advantage, meaning Williams in particular look likely to take out that second row, unless more poor prime tyre work as they did in Hungary. It is traditionally Force India's best chance to take the good points at Spa and Monza too, so watch out for them.

Red Bull and Ferrari are, as usual, most likely to lead the charges for their respective engines. Ferrari seem to have decided to coincide their perennial bloodletting with their best result of the season, which is an odd choice, while Seb Vettel will be hoping to come good on the promise of the last two weeks and finally start to beat Ricciardo. It is a better circuit for the Bulls than Christian Horner would have you believe.

With the chance of rain never zero and a range of corners guaranteed to entertain, the Belgian Grand Prix is a perennial highlight, long may it reign, and lets hope 2014 will be as good as some of the great moments of Spas gone by.

Vettel has left Europe behind an Australian team-mate who'd won a couple of races before...

The Vettel circuits of the east approach!

in order to make up for the power deficit which is costing Renault cars 15mph the cars will have to run less wing which means they will sacrifice downforce so they are not going to be effective in the mid sector

I always thought Hungary would their best chance of winning a race and probably only Singapore

Ninja.....Vettel was able to win last year at Spa, with his ability to exploit the use of his EBD better than any other driver in the field. Soooo.....now that system no longer exists...no...if the race remains dry, and if Lewis, Nico, Daniel. Valtteri, and maybe even Felipe are still running during the race.
Can we not include Force India into the mix, always seem to do well at Spa?

Williams reckon they have a shout at victory at Spa and Monza, and I can get onboard with that. Fantastic low-drag package on that car means they will at least challenge. Mercs up front as usual. I reckon the Renault cars are going to struggle more than ever in these next two races but you never know. Alonso's probably got another shot at a podium, top 5 at least

Their usual mid-season development surge will make Red Bull much more competitive in the second half, but Spa and Monza are not their favorite tracks. In Singapore mechanical grip is most important, so they may do better, but I still doubt it'll be enough to threaten Mercedes. They'll probably need some help from the safety car.

Monkeyhead they are no long straights so Singapore is a possibility plus its a track Vettel excels on

I think people are also forgetting 2 of Vettel's favourite tracks are not on this year's calendar - India and Korea which are very similar in layout

Last edited:
Seeing as Renault are just an engine supplier does that mean they do not have to stop working for two weeks whereas the others build there own engines and do have to stop working for two weeks...

Mephistopheles I think so because then Ferrari and Mercedes would start protesting. I believe Renault lagging behind at the start of the season means they are going to find it difficult to catch because of the engine freeze

Monkeyhead they are no long straights so Singapore is a possibility plus its a track Vettel excels on

Still I think engine power will be very important on those short straights. On longer straights aerodynamic efficiency becomes more important, so that may actually be in Red Bull's favor (compared to all other cars except for Mercedes probably). The Red Bull Ring is actually comparable to Singapore and Red Bull performed badly at their home circuit. In the past, the exhaust-blown diffuser was a major asset for tracks with many low-speed corners, and that was partly why Vettel has been so strong in Singapore.

Monkeyhead Interesting theory but I always fought the medium speed corners and short straights would play to the Red Bull's strengths like in Hungary

More downforce enhances acceleration and braking, so the Red Bulls should be in good shape, but still I doubt the can beat the Mercedes'. However, if the Mercedes' somehow get stuck in traffic, things can be much different. A Williams front row will be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom