2012 was epic, but something is still missing...

I would only award a couple of points for it so in essence it just becomes a tiebreaker. With 2pts for pole Vettel would have an extra 12pts, Alonso an extra 6pts and Hamilton an extra 14pts. Alonso would still have been in contention in Brazil this year using this, just about.

Having a point for fastest lap would be bad for the sport. It would simply mean that someone running in say 14th after a poor race would simply pit with a couple of laps to go and get an undeserved point. There's a reason they got rid of it in the first place.

Just for clarity's sake, I also wouldn't like to see points for fastest laps and what I posted above is the extra points gained by Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel if 2pts were awarded for pole.

With as important as qualifying is in today's Formula 1, why not reward the drivers (and teams) that put their car in the best starting position? I'm not a Vettel fan at all, but it's not easy to take 15 poles in 19 races...unless you're the only car on the grid with an exhaust blown diffuser

I am totally against points for qualifying. Since its become televised Quali seems to have been ballooned in stature to where I hear people say its the true judge of a driver. Its not. F1 is about racing and therefore the race. The whole idea is about which driver car package can complete the race distance quickest. Therefore if a car doesn't complete that distance then why does it deserve points?

Quali is a lot of fun to watch and its nice to see them compete on a time trial basis but its only done to decide who starts where. If the FIA could find a safe way of starting all 22 cars lined up alongside each other I'm pretty sure they. It would be silly to reward Quali with points. You start on pole if you're fastest in quali thats your reward.

What next? points for best pitstop? Most interesting interview? F1is and always be about the race and those drivers who ace qualifying but dissapear in the race have it round their necks.

As you say RasputinLives, what next after points for pole? How about:

Points for fastest lap,
points for leading a lap (as exemplified in the BTCC by the likes of Neal and Shedden swapping places for one lap then swapping back again because it gets an extra point for the one in second place having 'led' one lap),
points for number of overtakes,
points for number of cars lapped,
points for lapping your team mate,
points for best helmet design,
points for number of different helmet designs in a season,
points for number of different helmet designs in a weekend,
points for donuts after the race,
points for donuts during the race...

I'm not against points for poles like I've said but they probably add complication without gaining much. However, giving 2pts for pole means that if a driver gets pole and the race win the ratio of points between 1st and 2nd is the same as the old 9-6 system, whereas if the pole driver finishes 2nd the ratio of points between 1st and 2nd is the same as the old 10-8 system. That does seem quite nice.

I don't buy the theory that points for pole would mean that all of a sudden we get people rushing to give points for putting wheels on and putting fuel in. McLaren wouldn't be very happy about that, for example ;).

So, what was this thread about again?

I've been wrestling with the OP question for two weeks but at last the answer has been triggered thanks to Bushi in the "Technical Regulations 2014 thread ( http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2014-technical-regulations.3311/ ).

It occurred to me when having a look for a piece I wrote about EBD's some time back that I've written precious little about anything technical this season. Maybe it's just my imagination or maybe a lack of TV coverage of anything remotely remarkable, but on a technical innovation front this season has been as dull as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom