Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

The crowd there today was tiny what's the race going to be like?

Probably a lot less than the organisers will claim, are they boosting attendance by virtually giving tickets away to Malaysians again?

Three years ago I was in the stand at the end of the start/finish straight. It is in two halves, the right hand one was pretty full for the race (but nearly empty for qualy) whilst the left hand side seemed to be a few Malaysians and no-one else. There was no difficulty moving into the left hand one when the rains came. For Friday the only part that was open was the concourse, the stands on the start/finish straight had a fair number of people, but there was still plenty of space, the stands on the straight on the other side were empty. I mean that literally, I went to see what the viewing was like there and I got lonely, not a single person in sight.

What I did find was that if you put your food and drink at the bottom of the rucksack, then on top you put waterproofs, camera bag and binoculars you could get through the search with no problem. The worst part of the circuit was that you were not allowed to take in food and drink in a country where it is hot, the hotels we stayed in we free had water supplied by the room cleaners. The food inside the circuit cost five times that charged by eating places in KL.

Looking at the practice times, if it is dry, tyres are going to be a real problem. All the cars are showing 1.5+ secs a lap drop off, quite suddenly around lap 11 or 12. Red Bull look to be in best shape tho.

Lotus are the next best and even they are complaining. Merc and McLaren are the worst but they are the ones switching the tyres on the best.

I hope it doesn't rain, I don't think we are going to need that to make for a really topsy turvy race. I think Pirelli will do that for us!

Both compounds, Jez?
I don't know who used what I'm afraid, but there are no runs of 12+ laps without the 1.5s drop off. We've not seen the hards obviously, but I am not expecting them to be that different from the mediums, yes a little slower and longer but at Sepang that still means a 12 lap cliff it seems.

I should add that this is 1.5s not fuel adjusted. 12 laps at this track is around 1.2s, so really the fall off is pushing 3 secs.

It's going to be McLaren again, isn't it? Lewis was looking very keen to explore the limits on heavy fuel and looked a lot more comfortable than anyone on low fuel. I think we'll have a battle on Sunday, even if it is just between the two McLarens.

It's going to be McLaren again, isn't it? Lewis was looking very keen to explore the limits on heavy fuel and looked a lot more comfortable than anyone on low fuel. I think we'll have a battle on Sunday, even if it is just between the two McLarens.

Yeah, it's gonna be a two guy race again.

If it helps anyone, it's 25 past 4 here in the south of Malaysia and it's pissing down with rain. A genuine monsoon with thunder and lightning. In fact, I've been here 3 days and every day at about 4pm it's pissed with rain. And I don't mean a shower I'm talking full tropical storm. Remind me what time the GP starts? That's it, about 4pm. Get your waders on boys, it's gonna be a wet one.

p.s. I'm not here to see the race. Silly sod that I am didn't even check when the GP was on before flying out and I get back Saturday evening to watch it on the TV at home on Sunday. :(
Thats interesting given the general theory is

changing conditions: Button
Full on rain and full wet tyres: Hamilton

And I think the general expectation is that Hamilton will get pole position again, so if the race does start with monsoon conditions, they will start on full wet tyres and with a safety car start instead of a standing start.

In which case Hamilton is a good bet for the win - that is untill the track starts drying up and everyone has to guess when to change tyres.

Over 1 lap Lewis looks very strong again. He was at the top of the sheets for a while having not even run the Options.

But the question is how long can he make those Pirelli's last.

Toro Rosso looking good too.

Back
Top Bottom