Grand Prix 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Someone other than Vettel is leading the Championship!

It may be strange to see, but for the first time since Abu Dhabi 2010 someone other than Sebastian Vettel is top of the Championship after Jenson Button won the Australian Grand Prix in commanding fashion with Vettel second and a folorn Hamilton falling foul of a safety car which allowed the German through.

Going into Malaysia it seems apparent that Mclaren have the strongest car as they were far and away the strongest team in Australia and it was only after having to fuel save for 90% of the race that let Red Bull get within distance, when Button and Hamilton were at full throttle for the first 8 laps, they pulled away at over a second a lap which provided a comfortable cushion even though it was wiped out by a safety car due to Vitaly Petrov breaking down on the main straight.

But the Australian Grand Prix raised more questions than it did provide answers, the only thing that we learned was that the not quite so new teams are still as bad as they were last season and Mclaren and Red Bull are the two fastest teams. Ferrari had a shocking qualifying but Fernando Alonso managed to drag it kicking and screaming into 5th place which suggests a better race pace compared to qualifying pace while beleaguered Felipe Massa trundled around in midfield like he was on a Sunday drive in the Australian parks.

lotus are the only team where a question mark still remains about the general competitiveness. Roman Grosjean qualified a remarkable third but was taken out early on by Maldando while returning champion Kimi Raikkonnen failed to get out of first qualifying but managed to fight through the field to finish a very strong seventh which suggests that they do have a strong car but need to ally qualifying with race pace if they are to take the fight to the top teams.

In 2011 Malaysia was a race full of pit stops due to the high degradation of the Pirelli tyres, and while the tyres this year are more conservative and stable, high degradation is still to be expecting and several pit stops are going to be the norm with an unpredictable weekend to come. The only thing to expect is the likelihood of a massive shower at some point during the weekend which would no doubt spice things up.

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/sepang-international-circuit/

The tyres were a huge unknown at this point last year and pretty much everyone struggled with them to some extent. From the next race onwards everyone started to get to grips with them. Hamilton as well as anyone.

Grips... Hee hee

...Hamilton hit tire trouble last year :blink:
Hamilton had a complete nightmare with the tyres here last year and had to do more than half the race on primes. The second set of which were used primes :oops:

It all started for him when he pitted too early on his first stint. Last year you needed to take some pain in the last two laps of a run and he didnt... Surely he learned from that?

That's a pity, I was hoping to see what Kimi could do given a clean run. The Lotus looks not-bad on its tyres, too.

Over to you Romain!

Räikkönen has a 5-place grid penalty for a gearbox change: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/...gpupdate&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=news

Let's hope he qualifies a liiitle bit better than in Australia :p

I'm little more worried about the set-up of that car rather than the grid penalty. From what I've read, Kimi wasn't wery happy with the car today and the steering issue is still there. You can take those five places on the first lap, or if your car is fast, on the long DRS-zone.

Shame about Kimi's penalty:disappointed: Picture looks more or less the same as last weekend though Ferrari look to have great race pace. Should be a good one all in all :)

...Hamilton hit tire trouble last year :blink:

lewis doesnt have a good record in malaysia for the following reasons.In 2008 he was demoted five places on the grid for blocking Nick Heidfeld in qualifying; in 2010 the team made a woeful tyre decision and he
finished an almost unfeasible P20 on the grid. Last year he was given a 20-second penalty for blocking Fernando Alonso.

hopefully he'll avoid any penalties and poor decisions by his team and have a good race.

Last year he was given a 20-second penalty for blocking Fernando Alonso.

He was given that penalty for weaving while trying to stop Fernando taking advantage of his tyre woes. The only reason he had to weave was because his tyres were dead. When he had life, he was blindingly quick.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2011-formula-one-pirelli-tyre-analysis.4315/#post-98823

He stopped too early and then had to defend as his grip faded at the ends of the next stints. He had made 3 pit stops by 45% race distance already. Then they put used prime tyres on by mistake at his fourth stop when they had a new set available

That high tyre wear will really give the pit stop advantage to the leading team-mates. I expect Red Bull and LOtus to come to the fore in the race, passing both Mercedes. As for Mac I'm guessing Button will come out on top with all the tyre wear.

Unless Lewis dose a qualli special and saves up some fresh rubber. I think he's got the car to afford it and he certainly has the pace. I'm pretty sure he's got the balls too. Does anyone else think that he will employ this tactic?

Unless Lewis dose a qualli special and saves up some fresh rubber. I think he's got the car to afford it and he certainly has the pace. I'm pretty sure he's got the balls too. Does anyone else think that he will employ this tactic?

I think everyone will try to save as many tyre sets as they can.

Back
Top Bottom