Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Racking up the air miles now

Going into the third race of the 2012 season and it is still unclear where everyone lies in true race pace over a normal dry race without the intervention of a safety car apart from that McLaren have done the best job of the teams with Red Bull and Mercedes not too far apart but Mercedes seem to be struggling with higher levels of tyre degradation compared to the other front runners.

Despite all the highly publicised problems at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso currently leads the Championship after a 5th place in Australia and an against the odds victory in Malaysia where the rain early on managed to put Alonso in the lead when the others struggled. However this doesn't mean things are rosy in Maranello as when the track dried up Alonso started to fall back and was being hunted down by none other than Sergio Perez in the Sauber who was closing in rapidly on the Spaniard only to make a minor mistake with a couple of laps to go which ruined his chances of a maiden victory, but he was understandably delighted to finish in second place. Lewis Hamilton showed that he is a more rounded driver than he was in 2011 with a second consecutive third place showing he has the maturity to make the best of a bad job when circumstances were against him when he was caught out by the pit stops (like he was in Australia) to not make any mistakes and bring the car home in third place for 15 points which could be crucial at the end of the season.

On the other hand, team mate Jenson Button had a characteristically poor race after running second early on, but after outbraking himself he broke his front wing trying to overtake an HRT who was running there on position after an early gamble for wets paid off as when the red flag fell, Narain was running in 10th place which shocked fans worldwide. The red flag was also (im)famous for the introduction of gazebos all down the grid, something previously pioneered by Mercedes in Canada last season.

2012 has seen (so far) probably one of the most competitive midfields in many seasons with Force India, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso all pushing the top teams for points and Sauber have already claimed a podium through Perez and it could be said that on pure one lap pace, most of these teams are as quick as if not faster than Ferrari, certainly faster than Felipe Massa who is really coming under pressure for his seat after 2 mediocre performances so far while Alonso continued to drag the car to places where it shouldn't really be.

Looking ahead to China and it has been a track which has favoured McLaren in recent years with Lewis Hamilton winning in 2008 and 2011 and Jenson Button winning in the rain affected 2010 race. Hamilton should have won in 2007 but famously threw it away in the pitlane after running wide on very used tyres when he was in a position to win the Championship, something with now Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen took advantage of to win the race and eventually steal the Championship in Brazil.

China will also be an importunity to be the first true comparison of Sky and BBC as it is the first race that will be shown live on BBC and it will certainly be very interesting to see where the two broadcasters shape up over a full race weekend and it will show to people in their own minds which one is better and it is pretty clear that it certainly won't be a clear cut thing and will be down more to personal preference than the overall package compared to the other.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

....,he made one move. Initially moving left on the racing line, he then moves right to defend....

I know that it is a long time since I was at school but in those days 1+1=2. However, I do agree that it would be hard if Hamilton were to be penalised for that, it was hardly full-blooded.

Congratulations to Rosberg, a shame about Button's last pit stop but I think that Rosberg had him covered anyway. It will be interesting to see how well the Mercs do on the tighter tracks still to come ; on today's showing they could win both championships.

Ecstatic that Lewis after 3 races where a number of things did not go right for him, he leads the World Championship. :o Very mature drives to just get the points on the board. It shows that the mistake's that cost world championships are the ones like Jenson made in Malaysia and Lewis made a number of times last year. I also think we saw some of the old Lewis today. Every overtake seemed more confident than the next. Drove with his head.

I know that it is a long time since I was at school but in those days 1+1=2. However, I do agree that it would be hard if Hamilton were to be penalised for that, it was hardly full-blooded.

I forgot about that. I think the first move was the normal line he'd take through there and the 2nd was his move to defend. I fully expect him to get penalised though, which is a shame as it will overshadow a great race.

Well I've just had a huge piece of humble pie served to me by both Nico Rosberg and Mercedes who I've been very critical of for a while but I'm happy to gulp it down as they did a brilliant job today. Well done Britney!

I thought Button was a bit unlucky but glad to see he picked it up after a lackluster quali.

Dissapointed in Kobi a little but a double pass on Kimi and Perez at the end there makes me forgive him.

I thought Vettel had a great drive to get himself up into that 2nd place but I guess when the tyres run out the tyres run out.

Webber seemed to get himself on the right tyre at exactly the right tyre but was a bit hampered by traffic but nice to see him back on form.

Great result for Williams although it is noted that Senna nearly went out at first corner again and Maldonado nearly threw it off at the end! seems to be a theme with both but good drives.

Oh and a little mentione for Jean Eric Vergne who despite starting in the pit lane finished in front of his team-mate and was setting fastest lap times at one point!

When the BBC employee made a typical comment ie RBR..DavidCoulthard. best friend of JB, IMHO he is not a fair minded person & I will not be watching the BBC coverage again. He has made comments in the past & Lewis has ended up with a penalty, then at the next race has said & shown how LH was 100% NOT to blame..but too late... the penalty had been given.

Sorry but it's stupid to think DC (or any commentator) has any influence with the stewards at all.
That's all I've got to say on this stupid accusation which is getting thrown around time and time again.

A very commanding win for Rosberg, surely he is driver of the weekend. A shame for Schumacher who looked set for 2nd place, another missed opportunity for Mercedes.

Button and Hamilton made good starts, but Hamilton being held by Perez and Button by Vettel later (if Button didn't have the pit problem) really hurt them. Vettel also had a good race, 15th on the first lap to finish 5th, he nearly had 2nd too! Webber also had a decent race, but he benefited from Red Bull outmanouvering McLaren by using the under-cut twice. Grosjean finally delivered on his potential. Williams also gave an early birthday present to Frank with both cars in the points. Must say the only team to really miss their chance was Sauber, both cars qualified well but ended up starting quite poorly, yet Kobayashi stole a single point.

8/10 race for me.

Well I've just had a huge piece of humble pie served to me by both Nico Rosberg and Mercedes who I've been very critical of for a while but I'm happy to gulp it down as they did a brilliant job today. Well done Britney!

Ha. Why were you critical of Rosberg? I understand criticism of Mercedes, but Rosberg has been doing a great job in F1 for a long time. Great win on the back of a poor start to the season.

Mod Comment

Has Lewis Hamilton been given a penalty? No! Has anyone at the FIA been instructed to investigate his race? Not that we are aware of.

If, and only if, there is some action take to investigate Lewis is it worth even entertaining discussion on this. I, and many others, couldn't give a crap what David Coulthard said on the BBC commentary so any further post speculating about a penalty or discussing the comments of a numpty such as DC will be deleted.

Thank you

FB

Ha. Why were you critical of Rosberg? I understand criticism of Mercedes, but Rosberg has been doing a great job in F1 for a long time. Great win on the back of a poor start to the season.

I've never rated him. Always seen him as a Nick Heidfeld type who was comfy bringing the car home in 4th and 5th but usually cracked when he had any chance of winning a race. Was expecting him to go backwards today and he didn't!

Sometimes it nice to be proved wrong though so I doth my cap to Nico.

A race of two halves, the first half was dull compared to the second half but what a last few laps.
I suspect even if Lewis had not had a grid drop Nico was in a class of his own & would've edged it. The battle would've been great to watch though.
I'm also guessing Lewis is doubly happy - happy for his friend Nico to win & probably more happy that Jenson didn't so he retains the WDC table standing.
It's so nice to see a happy podium all round & some fantastic clean overtaking all down the field.
Must give a nod to Vettel who quietly worked his way through & nearly got a podium.

Another great grand prix, and a great drive from Rosberg. I doubted that he was a winning driver; clearly I was wrong. It was an awesome moment (particularly so for Mercedes fans) when the Mercs started to pull away at the front, and I always felt Nico would win it from there. What a pleasingly unpredictable season this has been so far.

A little sorry for Schumacher because although Nico had him covered, on a likely two-stop strategy he might well have taken second place. Still, the whole team must be pleased the result.

I thought the racing with fantastic, and the early laps a tense slow-burning prelude to the feast of action. Much as Tilke has created some very poor racetracks, particularly on the weight of the last three years it may be time to admit that Shanghai is a great circuit (perhaps diminished slightly by the grey scenery).

Hamilton's overtakes were quality today. Probably the second best driver this weekend after Rosberg, considering the grid drop.

Yeah. I think Jenson and Lewis were very close on pace today, but Lewis had a harder race being put back in traffic very early. Spent pretty much the whole race trying to get past someone and I don't think he failed with any of them.

How the hell did Mark not break his suspension when he nearly took off, doing more than 150mph he takes off at around 45 degrees and still lands and continues on? How does that work
Did anyone think it was a bit funny when Kimi lost around places in one lap?

What was surprising to me was the closeness of the field (excepting Rosberg). There were constantly streams of cars running closely nullifying the use of DRS except for the leading one in the stream, they seemed to be able to use the KERS in the right place. Some good overtaking in non-DRS zones as well, it's great to see cars running two or even three abreast round a series of turns.

If only they could get rid of those marbles we would have one of the most exciting seasons ever.

Hamilton has found the consistency that he had back in 2007 when he reeled off podium after podium, a 2011 Hamilton would have broken his nose on Massa or Perez today, encouraging to see.

He's spoken of this already this season. I think the key is consistency when things don't go his way. In none of these races so far has things gone perfectly, yet he has brought home a podium in every one. These will compliment the races in future that do go his way. There is no doubt Lewis will be coming home in first sometime soon, and these 45 points will look very good on top of that. Fingers crossed for next week.

Also, we seem to be seeing the back end of the Lewis healing process, and to be able to lead the world championship while rebuilding his confidence shows just how could he is.

Hamilton has found the consistency that he had back in 2007 when he reeled off podium after podium, a 2011 Hamilton would have broken his nose on Massa or Perez today, encouraging to see.

I agree but I think it has put a little bit of over caution in his head as there were a couple of times with Perez I thought he could have gone for it and didn't. Not criticsing him though as better safe than sorry - at the time though it seemed he was losing groud to Button when they were sything through the traffic.

Great drive though and on reflection that caution probably meant his tyres were in better shape when it came to getting Webber and Vettel.

Back
Top Bottom