Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Racking up the air miles now

Going into the third race of the 2012 season and it is still unclear where everyone lies in true race pace over a normal dry race without the intervention of a safety car apart from that McLaren have done the best job of the teams with Red Bull and Mercedes not too far apart but Mercedes seem to be struggling with higher levels of tyre degradation compared to the other front runners.

Despite all the highly publicised problems at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso currently leads the Championship after a 5th place in Australia and an against the odds victory in Malaysia where the rain early on managed to put Alonso in the lead when the others struggled. However this doesn't mean things are rosy in Maranello as when the track dried up Alonso started to fall back and was being hunted down by none other than Sergio Perez in the Sauber who was closing in rapidly on the Spaniard only to make a minor mistake with a couple of laps to go which ruined his chances of a maiden victory, but he was understandably delighted to finish in second place. Lewis Hamilton showed that he is a more rounded driver than he was in 2011 with a second consecutive third place showing he has the maturity to make the best of a bad job when circumstances were against him when he was caught out by the pit stops (like he was in Australia) to not make any mistakes and bring the car home in third place for 15 points which could be crucial at the end of the season.

On the other hand, team mate Jenson Button had a characteristically poor race after running second early on, but after outbraking himself he broke his front wing trying to overtake an HRT who was running there on position after an early gamble for wets paid off as when the red flag fell, Narain was running in 10th place which shocked fans worldwide. The red flag was also (im)famous for the introduction of gazebos all down the grid, something previously pioneered by Mercedes in Canada last season.

2012 has seen (so far) probably one of the most competitive midfields in many seasons with Force India, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso all pushing the top teams for points and Sauber have already claimed a podium through Perez and it could be said that on pure one lap pace, most of these teams are as quick as if not faster than Ferrari, certainly faster than Felipe Massa who is really coming under pressure for his seat after 2 mediocre performances so far while Alonso continued to drag the car to places where it shouldn't really be.

Looking ahead to China and it has been a track which has favoured McLaren in recent years with Lewis Hamilton winning in 2008 and 2011 and Jenson Button winning in the rain affected 2010 race. Hamilton should have won in 2007 but famously threw it away in the pitlane after running wide on very used tyres when he was in a position to win the Championship, something with now Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen took advantage of to win the race and eventually steal the Championship in Brazil.

China will also be an importunity to be the first true comparison of Sky and BBC as it is the first race that will be shown live on BBC and it will certainly be very interesting to see where the two broadcasters shape up over a full race weekend and it will show to people in their own minds which one is better and it is pretty clear that it certainly won't be a clear cut thing and will be down more to personal preference than the overall package compared to the other.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Interesting that Hamilton pitted first today even though Button was leading on the track. Change of policy at Mclaren?

Second driver pitted first again, it happened at Malaysia as well when Button pitted first

Interesting that Hamilton pitted first today even though Button was leading on the track. Change of policy at Mclaren?

Without turning this into a Hamilton conspiracy, I don't think LH gained any advantage by pitting first, in fact I think he would have been better pitting second both times.

Ironic that it was detrimental to his challenge for first. This is nothing new though. Jenson pitted first twice in Malaysia, with Lewis ahead. I don't think it is a right to pit first; it is the right to pit on the lap of your choice. If Jenson chose to pit later, I don't see anything wrong with Lewis pitting whenever he wants and vice versa.

We
Well McLaren have had 'talks' about Lewis' pitstops, so maybe. Button referred to Lewis coming in first in an interview. (actually it put Lewis in traffic so didnt work out too well) If McLaren are looking at the pitstop issues with an open mind , that can only be good.

Why was Kimi not given a unsafe release penalty? I think with this 2 lane pit lane we seem to have now, I don't think releasing into another driver is unsafe, but it is dangerous if they pick and chose when to apply it.

I made the comment as much was made of Jenson pitting first in Malaysia and many of us, myself included, thought the rule of thumb at Mclaren was that the driver leading on the road got to pit first. Maybe they just get first choice? Without the benefit of all pit to car radio comms I suppose we will never know. I don't think either really gained or lost anything from the timing of the pit stops - the only real issue for Mclaren was Jenson's sticky wheel, still think Nico would have won even without this.

I agree but I think it has put a little bit of over caution in his head as there were a couple of times with Perez I thought he could have gone for it and didn't.

I don't think there was any moves he chose not to go for that anyone else on the grid wouldn't have. The caution is good. It allows him to make smart, but aggressive overtakes, rather than just aggressive.

I made the comment as much was made of Jenson pitting first in Malaysia and many of us, myself included, thought the rule of thumb at Mclaren was that the driver leading on the road got to pit first. Maybe they just get first choice?

I would imagine so.

If only they could get rid of those marbles we would have one of the most exciting seasons ever.

The amount of rubbish off line was quite astonishing. Whenever a car took the inside line going into the hairpin there was a halo of dirt behind them akin to the wash thrown up by inters on a damp track.

Big change around at Williams - they are using those Renault engines really well and both drivers are exceeding my expectations.

Why was Kimi not given a unsafe release penalty? I think with this 2 lane pit lane we seem to have now, I don't think releasing into another driver is unsafe, but it is dangerous if they pick and chose when to apply it.
The same reason Hamilton didn't get a penalty there in 2010. There's room to go two-wide there.

The same reason Hamilton didn't get a penalty there in 2010. There's room to go two-wide there.

I'm all for that; it is just confusing how and when they apply the rule. I thought the Lewis-Seb one was different as the pit boxes were next to each other. :thinking:

Big change around at Williams - they are using those Renault engines really well and both drivers are exceeding my expectations.
Not mine. They need to improve their qualifying performance so they can start from further up the grid, but nevertheless to get 7th & 8th from where they started, with only one retirement ahead of them, was a pretty solid job. They and Grosjean provided some good entertainment too along with the Saubers.

Felipe Massa is now the only driver of the top 9 teams to not have scored a point. An improvement this weekend, but still a long way from where he needs to be. :thinking:

Back
Top Bottom