Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Racking up the air miles now

Going into the third race of the 2012 season and it is still unclear where everyone lies in true race pace over a normal dry race without the intervention of a safety car apart from that McLaren have done the best job of the teams with Red Bull and Mercedes not too far apart but Mercedes seem to be struggling with higher levels of tyre degradation compared to the other front runners.

Despite all the highly publicised problems at Ferrari, Fernando Alonso currently leads the Championship after a 5th place in Australia and an against the odds victory in Malaysia where the rain early on managed to put Alonso in the lead when the others struggled. However this doesn't mean things are rosy in Maranello as when the track dried up Alonso started to fall back and was being hunted down by none other than Sergio Perez in the Sauber who was closing in rapidly on the Spaniard only to make a minor mistake with a couple of laps to go which ruined his chances of a maiden victory, but he was understandably delighted to finish in second place. Lewis Hamilton showed that he is a more rounded driver than he was in 2011 with a second consecutive third place showing he has the maturity to make the best of a bad job when circumstances were against him when he was caught out by the pit stops (like he was in Australia) to not make any mistakes and bring the car home in third place for 15 points which could be crucial at the end of the season.

On the other hand, team mate Jenson Button had a characteristically poor race after running second early on, but after outbraking himself he broke his front wing trying to overtake an HRT who was running there on position after an early gamble for wets paid off as when the red flag fell, Narain was running in 10th place which shocked fans worldwide. The red flag was also (im)famous for the introduction of gazebos all down the grid, something previously pioneered by Mercedes in Canada last season.

2012 has seen (so far) probably one of the most competitive midfields in many seasons with Force India, Sauber, Williams and Toro Rosso all pushing the top teams for points and Sauber have already claimed a podium through Perez and it could be said that on pure one lap pace, most of these teams are as quick as if not faster than Ferrari, certainly faster than Felipe Massa who is really coming under pressure for his seat after 2 mediocre performances so far while Alonso continued to drag the car to places where it shouldn't really be.

Looking ahead to China and it has been a track which has favoured McLaren in recent years with Lewis Hamilton winning in 2008 and 2011 and Jenson Button winning in the rain affected 2010 race. Hamilton should have won in 2007 but famously threw it away in the pitlane after running wide on very used tyres when he was in a position to win the Championship, something with now Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen took advantage of to win the race and eventually steal the Championship in Brazil.

China will also be an importunity to be the first true comparison of Sky and BBC as it is the first race that will be shown live on BBC and it will certainly be very interesting to see where the two broadcasters shape up over a full race weekend and it will show to people in their own minds which one is better and it is pretty clear that it certainly won't be a clear cut thing and will be down more to personal preference than the overall package compared to the other.

For Galahad's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

If Lewis gets a fair chance yes i think in the dry or wet he could get a good win in China ,but looking at the first race i am incline to think Lewis"s car is not as fast as his team mate,s in race trim.I wonder why?

Because they have different driving styles and Lewis chose a different front wing setup in Australia.

Welcome to CTA :cheers:

Welcome to CTA :cheers::moustache:
Also, there could be a potential that, over a longer run (ie in a race) Hamilton harms his tyres more than Button. That's one area he needs to improve on for today's F1, preserving his tyres.
BTW, chance of rain on raceday.

Lewis manages his tyres just fine. It's when he is in a lesser performing car or qualifies out of position and has to put in a fighting race that sometimes he can over cook it - exactly as Jenson did in Malaysia.

Lewis manages his tyres just fine. It's when he is in a lesser performing car or qualifies out of position and has to put in a fighting race that sometimes he can over cook it
... By taking too much out of his tyres, this being slower than the leaders in terms of laptime when he is in these sort of positions.

... By taking too much out of his tyres, this being slower than the leaders in terms of laptime when he is in these sort of positions.

Sorry mjo, ExtremeNinja's right. When a driver is out of position he has to push hard to make passes and also take lines he wouldn't normally take, both of which are harder on tyres. Also, driving in dirty air affects downforce which also uses up rubber. :popcorn:

People don't overcook it by taking too much out of their tyres, they take too much out of their tyres by overcooking it. ;)

Sorry mjo, ExtremeNinja's right. When a driver is out of position he has to push hard to make passes and also take lines he wouldn't normally take, both of which are harder on tyres. Also, driving in dirty air affects downforce which also uses up rubber. :popcorn:

Thanks Kewee. Spot on.

Welcome to CTA :cheers::moustache:
Also, there could be a potential that, over a longer run (ie in a race) Hamilton harms his tyres more than Button. That's one area he needs to improve on for today's F1, preserving his tyres.
BTW, chance of rain on raceday.
Thanks for the welcome mjo also Extreme ninja.Guys i am not as technical on the F1 topic as you guys i just love the sport,but mjo, i think Lewis learnt a bit about tyre management from last season i think he has improved. Anyway we"ll have plenty of opportunities to see over the season.

Because they have different driving styles and Lewis chose a different front wing setup in Australia.

Welcome to CTA :cheers:
Thank you for the welcome ExtremeNinja.Ninja i mean no disrespect but from past F1 seasons Lewis have shown he is well able to choose the right wing set up for racing,not saying that you are saying that he can"t but even after the Malaysian GP Lewis rightly states he needs more pace....Even though he got 2 poles,,, during the race his car seems to lack pace..I find that strange..For me its hard to pinpoint but i wait and watch with hope that he gets a fair chance throughout the season.

Thanks for the welcome mjo also Extreme ninja.Guys i am not as technical on the F1 topic as you guys i just love the sport,but mjo, i think Lewis learnt a bit about tyre management from last season i think he has improved. Anyway we"ll have plenty of opportunities to see over the season.
No doubting that he has improved, however, his pace (or lack of it) in the race surely can partly be attributed to his stints with the tyres in the race ie. the decrease in tyre performance?

No doubt over time Lewis' tyre management will improve, but as a fan of the Lewis who was always on the limit, pushing the tyres to the max, I am sad that this has become a negative.

How much of a reaction do we expect from Red Bull in China. It has been a while since the pressure to develop fast was on themselves, rather than putting it on the opponent.

No doubting that he has improved, however, his pace (or lack of it) in the race surely can partly be attributed to his stints with the tyres in the race ie. the decrease in tyre performance?

Not in Australia, it was his first few laps that were slow.

Ferrari say they have some medium upgrades
McLaren say they have a big upgrade
And this is a spy shot of HRT's new wheels:
1.1308949613.wierd-spikes-on-semi-wheels-in-canada.jpg

Are HRT using my old racing game strategy. If you can't beat them, take them all out and cruise for the win. Much easier when you have a tank cheat.

Nope. We have been through the tyre analysis on the Hamilton vs Button thread in incredible detail and all the data and graphs show that in Aus they had pretty much identical tyre wear. Jenson had more race pace which was attributed to more traction out of the corners, which could in turn, and admittedly by Lewis, be attributed to a more aggressive front wing set-up more suited to quali.

That analysis has been done, though, so best to continue discussion on that point over there.

Nope. We have been through the tyre analysis on the Jenson vs Button thread in incredible detail and all the data and graphs show that in Aus they had pretty much identical tyre wear.

I'm sure Jenson and Button had identical tyre wear :D

I'm really looking forward to this race if last year is anything to go by. If it is dry we will have a real indication of where everyone stands and especially in the case of Lotus who have not had a clean weekend yet. Can't see Mercedes doing anything other than going backwards in the race again as their tyre wear seems to be a very big problem. Hopefully Mclaren's upgrade won't put them too far ahead of Red Bull. And what will happen when/if Vettel comes up to lap Karthikeyan :whistle:

And it's on the Beeb as well!

I'm not sure we've seen Hamiltons race pace in the dry yet.

There was the front wing set up in Melbourne and the lack of fuel for both cars. Then there was a Sauber in front of him.

In Malaysia he was leading until the red flag. Then Button got the better strategy, McLaren gave Hamilton 2 very slow pitstops. Apparently McLarens stiffer suspension worked against them in the wet.

Then there is the fact he hasn't completed a practice programme yet.

Back
Top Bottom