Grand Prix 2012 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Slyboogy

World Champion
Contributor
Like this track, has some great corners, tricky ones aswell, the ting that kind of ruins it, is ye atmosphere like Turkey.

Turn 1/2 is a place where can lose time significantly, and can take various lines into aswell.

Turns 5/6 you have to take a real tight line to get the best speed out of, do they take it flat out these days? Not sure they do, take the wrong line and you have to lift.

Turns 7/8 are like the turns in Malaysia where Massa went off in 2008 and Petrov leaping like a frog, can easily spin going into 7.

And the last turn is great, it's similar to turn 4 in Hungary.

Edit: I might have got the turns mixed up in China since they have supposed turns that aren't actually turns :embarrassed:

downforce

Race Winner
Yeah its interesting to see without the use of a flexi wiing or a trick diffuser Red-Bull aren't getting 1-2 every saturday and sunday.

And Webber has outqualified his teammate twice.

If the whole race weekend is dry and Hamilton finally completes his practice programme and gets a good start and there are no safety cars, it should be his race.

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
And, of course, Turn 13 is one of the greatest corners for overtaking, because it is banked and thus allows drivers to get a better run out of there and down the long straight to the hairpin. Where now, of course, there is a Drag Reduction System in place.

The Artist.....

Champion Elect
And, of course, Turn 13 is one of the greatest corners for overtaking, because it is banked and thus allows drivers to get a better run out of there and down the long straight to the hairpin. Where now, of course, there is a Drag Reduction System in place.
And therein lies the formula for good overtaking- a banked turn onto a long straight- the key thing with the banked turn is that the cornering speed is no longer aero limited, but is instead aided by gravity!!!

riskitall

Points Scorer
hopefully lewis will win in china,but jenson outqualified him there in 2010 and 2011,so its going to be close.

Abnash24

Points Scorer
But Lewis almost got pole in 2011 but made a mistake in the last corner and had to wrestle the car into line, if not for that he would have been on pole

Il_leone

Champion Elect
interesting China is considered not a great Tilke circuit like Turkey or Sepang but with its long straights provide great overtaking opportunities

I am expecting the Red Bull to struggle as they will be sitting ducks down the straights again..this was one of the few races where Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes were on their pace

Westy

Pole Sitter
If the whole race weekend is dry and Hamilton finally completes his practice programme and gets a good start and there are no safety cars, it should be his race.
Bill Boddy hit the nail on the head. There seems to be an awful lot that has to go Hamilton's way for him to succeed. If he is as good as people say he is he should be able to overcome adversity. Button was the driver to beat in Australia, and the conditions in Malaysia played into the hands of Alonso and Perez. Hamilton didn't win either race, let's move on with our lives and look forward to what I hope will be an amazing GP.

Kewee

Race Winner
Bill Boddy hit the nail on the head. There seems to be an awful lot that has to go Hamilton's way for him to succeed. If he is as good as people say he is he should be able to overcome adversity. Button was the driver to beat in Australia, and the conditions in Malaysia played into the hands of Alonso and Perez. Hamilton didn't win either race, let's move on with our lives and look forward to what I hope will be an amazing GP.
The only way the weather played into the hands of Alonso or Perez was to even out the playing field a little, but there should have been enough skill knowledge and experience within the McLaren and Red Bull camps to keep Alonso back in 4th or 5th, but they both made mistakes. Alonso and Perez didn't.:)

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
The only way the weather played into the hands of Alonso or Perez was to even out the playing field a little, but there should have been enough skill knowledge and experience within the McLaren and Red Bull camps to keep Alonso back in 4th or 5th, but they both made mistakes. Alonso didn't and Perez made only a minor one.:)
Just for the record. :)

Kewee

Race Winner
Just for the record. :)
Thanks Bill. I thought about that when I typed it but didn't acknowledge the mistake Perez made as it didn't impact on his position with regard to Lewis or Webber. I stand corrected though. :cheers:

Bill you correct me in the nicest possible way, unlike some who love to try and tear me to shreds. LOL

J

johnnoble1990

The only way the weather played into the hands of Alonso or Perez was to even out the playing field a little, but there should have been enough skill knowledge and experience within the McLaren and Red Bull camps to keep Alonso back in 4th or 5th, but they both made mistakes. Alonso and Perez didn't.:)
I think that is a bit of an over-simplification. It is certainly true that wet weather makes skill more important, which is the main reason Alonso won, but it also resets what is fast. Although being fastest in the dry makes it more likely for a car to be fastest in the wet, it is not a certainty and it appears both Mclarens struggled with their tyres at the last race in the wet.

I also don't think Mclaren can be accused of making a mistake with Lewis. They cannot predict pit stop traffic, and Jenson's mistake was his own.

Kewee

Race Winner
I think that is a bit of an over-simplification. It is certainly true that wet weather makes skill more important, which is the main reason Alonso won, but it also resets what is fast. Although being fastest in the dry makes it more likely for a car to be fastest in the wet, it is not a certainty and it appears both Mclarens struggled with their tyres at the last race in the wet.

I also don't think Mclaren can be accused of making a mistake with Lewis. They cannot predict pit stop traffic, and Jenson's mistake was his own.
The tyre situation was probably compounded by the timing of pit stops more than anything. The point I was making was Alonso was flawless, the competition wasn't. Lewis's situation was difficult to figure, normally he would have hunted down lesser cars, especially in the wet, yet I haven't heard anything from the McLaren camp regarding problems with their wet weather set up or tyres.

Top Bottom