Grand Prix 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Anyone fancy a protest?

Controversially it was announced that the Bahrain Grand Prix would go ahead despite opposition from almost everyone and the events that were happening in Bahrain both last year and again recently haven't seen the postponement of the 2012 race like the 2011 event. Reaction to the news has been mixed but it seems that the decision is final and there will once again be F1 cars in the Gulf state. The last race was held at the start of the 2010 season and by all accounts was the dullest race of the season with durable tyres and little overtaking with the only action at the front being a problem with Sebastian Vettel dropping him from first to fourth giving Fernando Alonso a win on his Ferrari debut with Felipe Massa finishing second, how that must feel a long time ago now for both the drivers and the team. Thankfully the painful extended modifications on the track have been abandoned for this year and the 'old' spec layout used from 2004-9 will be used which wasn't actually to bad and with DRS, KERS and the Pirelli tyres should provide for close racing and numerous overtakes.

Nico Rosberg will go into the Grand Prix weekend on the back of his best weekend in the sport. After taking his maiden pole by a margin on Saturday he successfully converted this into a maiden victory by winning by over 20 seconds from the Mclaren pair of Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton. The Mclarens battled various traffic issues and pit stop problems to claim the podium places in a titanic scrap where, at one point, only a handful of seconds seperated 2nd-10th. It is surprising that with so many cars in very close proximity for over half of the race that there was no crashes and barely any contact but there were cars flying about (in Webber's case literally) as cars hit the cliff with Kimi Raikkonnen being the primary case has he slipped from second to 14th as the tyres gave up on him and he even lost 8 places on one lap and that was without any spins or damage.

Over at Red Bull it is a complete contrast to 12 months ago as Sebastian Vettel struggles to get on the podium let alone win races while Mark Webber currently holds the upper hand in the team by leading 3-0 in qualifying and being higher in the drivers championship. This current superiority was emphasised late on in the Chinese Grand Prix when he drove around the outside of Vettel down at turn 14. Without the EBD the Red Bull has lost it's superiority over the rest of the field and this season is a true test of Vettel's racecraft and a true evaluation of where he stacks up as one of the great world champions and at the moment I would say he was a 6-7/10 as he has made some good overtaking moves and apart from a puncture in Malaysia has always moved forward on the grid from his starting position, but then that wasn't hard to do in China considering he started 11th on the grid, his lowest qualifying position since 2009 when Brawn were running riot.

The problems continue at Ferrari as Fernando Alonso fought the car to finish in 9th which could have been higher but for a combination of tyre of degradation and traffic at the wrong times that cost him time, but this is still a lot stronger than Massa in the sister Ferrari who continues to show that he shouldn't be a Ferrari driver after a mediocre race to 13th, he is showing almost no signs of improvement and he is rarely threatening the points these days let alone the podium and the championship challenging days of 2007 and 2008 must feel like a long time ago, if there isn't any improvement surely this will be his final year in a Ferrari seat.

So far 2012 has seen 3 different race winners in 3 races with Lewis Hamilton leading the championship from team mate Jenson Button despite Button winning the Australian Grand Prix which shows that Hamilton is getting back his consistency which won him the 2008 championship and shows that he has got over the demons of 2011 which is only a good thing for the championship fight with numerous people already showing that they are capable of fighting for the championship and today perhaps Rosberg threw his hat into the ring as a possible contender, it is certainly has the potential to be one of the closest championships in recent years and makes a change from the Red Bull dominated 2011 with Vettel steamrollering the field.

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/bahrain-international-circuit/

Sorry I'm late to this. Had to dodge the race till I could watch the full coverage. Didn't want just BBC highlights.

Firstly, I personally think it is ludicrous that neither Lewis or Nico were punished today. One of the two did something wrong, and I just feel that the stewards were focused on rule 1.01 today: "make it up as you go along". You can't overtake outside the boundaries of the track, but also, you can't make dangerous manouveres across the the length of the track ala Schumacher-Barrichello. That said, what an exciting overtake it was. Perhaps if this is a new F1 precedent, it isn't such a bad one for exciting, as Alonso has alluded to. LOL

Was another good race today. Seb-Kimi battle was interesting, if a little anti-climatic. It seems F1 is now in a position where anyone can turn up and be quick. Don't think this means Red Bull domination by any means. I expect Mclaren should still be slightly ahead in Quali and Red Bull slightly ahead in race pace.

As for Mclaren today, well could it have got worse? Lewis' stops between 6-11 seconds, costing him god know how much time in the race. Martin didn't add in the time he lost stuck behind cars he should've been nowhere near. Think Lewis had the pace to get 4th this weekend. Then to have the misfortune of Button's puncture, but more worrying was his lack of pace. I don't know what they spent their race setup work doing, which they spent the weekend bragging about.

Another exciting race. Unpredictable season so far, and after 4 races: 4 different winners, 5 drivers within 10 points, 7 within a race win. I think any of those 7 could win the title.

Well you could argue that in Hamilton's case you can't say that was penalised by Rosberg's move, seeing as though he got past anyway (albeit by exceeding the track's limit) whereas in Alonso's case it did change the outcome seeing it prevented him completing a possible overtake.
Anyway I haven't seen anything about the stewards being more concerned with the latter than the former? All I know is that they were both investigated and both cleared.

I hope this is not considered too off-topic, but regarding steward's decisions it was not only in the GP that there was controversy.

In the first GP2 race Felipe Nasr was bizarrely given a five place grid drop for race 2 after contact with Johnny Cecotto which everyone else seemed to believe was Cecotto's fault. Nasr then drove a superb 2nd race from a pitlane start to finish 6th.

And in race two itself, Fabio Leimer was upset to receive a drive-through for a yellow flag infringement. He was leading and on his own at the time, and claims that he had pushed in the other sectors (knowing where the yellow flag was) so that he could lift as he passed that sector. He wished that the stewards had decided to let him drive on and investigate after the race, in which case he believes that his team's telemetry information would have vindicated him. This, interestingly, directly contradicts a view I expressed earlier in this thread complaining about the increasing use of post-race rather than in-race investigations. Just goes to show that you can't please everybody...

I have to agree with Mephisopheles--we only view stewards decisions through the prism of our own prejudicies and desires regarding outcomes. They are not allowed to let their prejudices enter into their decisions and must make judgements based solely on the available evidence. Being human, I don't think they are right all of the time, but 99% of the time or thereabouts.

Thank God none of us are in their position, as I think the decisions most of us would render would border on the farcical

Apol's for the late posting re. race...

* RBR / SV fires gentle warning shot across the bows of the field... but capitalizes on some extremely shoddy McLaren work...
* McLaren implodes...maybe they took several races of bad execution all in one shot (though not following the rest of the field on wheel nut design might look a little silly if we see a similar incident over the next few races)...
* Mercedes hangs tough... Schumacher can't buy a trick... oh well...
* Something about a black and gold Lotus (even with the red TOTAL wing end plates) that does it for me...
* Kimi... love his work... and his post race press conference... "I had one chance to pass, braked the wrong side, that is all"... SV could learn that we don't need a lap by lap breakdown of his race...
* Grosjean... looked like he had just had a shot of pethidine in the post race interview... well done son...
* Stewards... maybe the ghost of Jean-Marie Balestre is rolling over in a German grave somewhere...but if both Hammie and Fernando had checked back to the racing line after Rosberg made his move, Britney would have screwed up and not left a car length or made a second move and earned himself a drive through...

Roll on Barca...

McLaren pit crew woes explained... the chief mechanic for the Bahrain weekend...

benny-hill-0.jpg

Disappointing race for me.
1. Don't like the tyres shredding visibly, leaving their debris all over the track and cars alike, and degradation so high that it forces drivers to cruise rather than race. For the first time in a long time I find myself agreeing with Michael Schumacher.

Take that back. I just read this nice little piece from Gary Anderson on the BBC F1 site, which restores my faith in my previously held prejudices against Mr Schumacher:

"It was also interesting to hear Mercedes' Michael Schumacher complain about the Pirelli tyres.
He is a professional racing driver, and it's all about looking after your tyres. You do that by getting the right balance on the car.
When I was involved with Bridgestone tyres with Jaguar in the early 2000s, in the middle of the tyre war with Michelin, Schumacher and Ferrari had tyres we were not even allowed to look at.
They cost so much money that Bridgestone could not afford to supply them to everyone. And whenever we did have an opportunity to run a derivative of those tyres, our lap times were much, much better.
It's a bit sad that Michael now sees things the other way around, because a lot of his competitiveness in those days was down to the working relationship he and Ferrari had with Bridgestone, one to which nobody else had access.
Now there's a standard tyre, it's down to him and Mercedes to get it working properly, not point the finger at the supplier."

Here's a link to the full article, which began with another nice piece on how Raikkonen could have beaten Vettel:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17816565

Just managed to watch the race this morning, as I was at work yesterday (how I hate working on sundays :(), managed to go a full day without knowing the results!

Anyhow, that was a great race! As a Raikkonen fan I'm a bit gutted that he didn't win, if Lotus let him past Grosjean a few laps earlier then I think he would have won. And yet, their pitstops were slow, and they should have really used the undercut, but everyone becomes a strategist after the race, so maybe I should apply for the Lotus strategist job LOL

Vettel drove a good race too, from start to finish.

Grosjean drove a great race just like his team-mate! I thought he was going to win, as my dad yesterday told me "someone new one", I thought he was joking at the time, but he was right. And Grosjean was "on a charge!!!" right at the start of the grand prix, so I was thinking at the time maybe he was the winner. That was a well deserved podium, but his smile is as annoying as the 'finger' :(

Webber was just on his own...seems to be the norm.

Rosberg was just a dangerous buffoon on the track.

Alonso was unspectacular.

Hamilton was just plain unlucky, but I do think he should have been the one who got the penalty with the Rosberg situation. Rosberg was taking his line, and Hamilton followed him until he ran out of road, then had all four wheels off the track when he passed Rosberg, it was a great move, but surely that was illegal, and yes I have seen the footage several times, and that's how I came to my opinion.

But with the Alonso one, I thought Rosberg might have deserved one as I thought Alonso had his front wing at least, alongside Rosberg's tyre, didn't seem to be the case though, think it was marginal. Although Alonso's reaction after the incident and after the race was quite comical.

I expected di Resta to fall back, but somehow he managed to make the 2 stopper work, and credit to him. Maybe teams where a bit too cautious with the tyres?

Massa finally got some points! Waaaaaay!!! However, I did notice one thing, when he was on the soft tyres and faster than Alonso who was on the mediums, Alonso didn't move over, but in China when they were on different strategies there, Massa had to move over. Meh.

Daniel Ricciardo from hero to zero. There were several people (none from here I think) that were calling for Vergne to be sacked after his poor qualifying on Saturday and that dropping both Toro Rosso drivers was a mistake, yet despite Vergne being much slower in qualifying, he is ahead of Ricciardo in the championship, and for three races running, has finished ahead of Ricciardo, despite not having the same level of experience as Ricciardo. If Vergne should be dropped then so should Ricciardo, and Buemi should get brought back in along with Algasuarus!

Also, I think it's good that Red Bull got a good result here, it's good for the championship, as before it just looked as if it would be between the two McLaren drivers, now the Red Bull's are up there, Alonso is close by, and if Ferrari move forward with the major upgrade that's coming, then we could have 5 drivers going for the title. Raikkonen could be in it two, but with Lotus having average weekends due to several reasons he's a bit behind right now.

Here's hoping for an exciting championship :)

Back
Top Bottom