Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

Jenson had a GOLDEN opportunity to win a race that the RBR pit crew handed to him...but Jenson ate up his tyres. Jenson couldn't manage the Super-Softs and had to pit THREE times!

Vettel was awsome, over-coming his team's cock-up.

Vettel - at 23 - is now dictating strategy and pulling it off.

It can all be summed up to just how much a team RBR are atm, everything is like perfect and mistakes are easily remedied. I think the team and Vettel are maturing into a very powerful unit that is very ominous for the chasers.

Button had a chance for about 16 laps then it was all over after lap 30+ odd.

My opinion is this, he would never have taken Alonso, let alone Vettel so third was actually a very good race for Button and McLaren.

Ray, I usually wouldn't bother replying to you, but just think your justification os Webber is so far off the ball that a reply is required.

If a certain mcLaren driver, or nearly any other driver except the Red Bull and possibly Ferrari drivers pulled this move, there would have been a definite penalty. It is one of the most dangerous things you can do in a race car. What if there were marshalls running onto the track just in front of the SC? Webber had no idea there wasn't, hell, he didn't even know the Sc car was there until he'd passed it..

Jenson is good with a clear track in front of him. He is not as brave as some when it comes to the sheer WILL to pass the guy in front. In my humble opinion, of course... :)

I'm not sure that Alonso's tyres would've lasted 'til the end either. That was the impression that I got from how much his car was sliding about in the last lap before the red flag.

That's why Button was holding a watching brief I reckon.

That was the impression that I got from how much his car was sliding about in the last lap before the red flag.
Agreed.
He was definitely starting to look a bit ragged on that last lap before the SC.

I think Brundle even commented as much.

Jenson is good with a clear track in front of him. He is not as brave as some when it comes to the sheer WILL to pass the guy in front. In my humble opinion, of course... :)

Funny, I don't see many of the other drivers being as good at overtaking a rival as Jenson is, I can't see any that are better at it, maybe a few more aggressive, but they end up getting penalties or taking themselves/ their rivals out..

Jenson makes it an art..

I really don't get all this lambasting of Alonso & Button for not overtaking. For all of those doubters, go back and take a look at the onboard footage from Jenson’s car as the three of them tear through the tunnel. They were all totally 'on-it' and the driving skill, speed and proximity to one another was a site to behold.

Jenson himself said at the end of the race that chasing down Alonso and watching him push Vettel all the way was very impressive and great fun.

First people complain that overtaking is too easy and then when they get into a position on a track where it's virtually impossible, they complain that they don't make a move. Add the fact that when some drivers do attempt to overtake and it goes wrong, they are criticised and receive penalties. :crazy:

I guess my problem (or one of them :) ) is I expect all races to be as mad as BTCC, Isle of Man TT or WRC even. I like to see drivers REALLY pushing all the time. 100% commitment is required and they don't all show it in my view.

I guess my problem (or one of them :) ) is I expect all races to be as mad as BTCC, Isle of Man TT or WRC even. I like to see drivers REALLY pushing all the time. 100% commitment is required and they don't all show it in my view.

Well, go watch BTCC, TT or WRC then..

Although I don't see much overtaking in the WRC and not a massive amount at the TT..

BTCC isn't overtaking, it is fun to watch, but trying to overtake in F1 like they do in BTCC would result in a fatality.. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that Alonso's tyres would've lasted 'til the end either. That was the impression that I got from how much his car was sliding about in the last lap before the red flag.
That's why Button was holding a watching brief I reckon.

And why wasn't Vettel reaching the edge of the cliff? his were 16 odd laps older?

Agreed. He was definitely starting to look a bit ragged on that last lap before the SC.

I did notice that, I think he flat spotted locking up on the attempted pass on Vettel.

Well, go watch BTCC, TT or WRC then..

Although I don't see much overtaking in the WRC and not a massive amount at the TT..

BTCC isn't overtaking, it is fun to watch, but trying to overtake in F1 like they do in BTCC would result in a fatality.. :rolleyes:

You misunderstand. It's about the attitude. Win or bust. Never say die. Remembering you are in a race where the sole object is to beat everybody else to the finish, or post the best time.

The driving skill. The car handling, even when the machine is damaged or not performing as well as it might.

And as you quite rightly say - it must be FUN TO WATCH.

Funny, I don't see many of the other drivers being as good at overtaking a rival as Jenson is, I can't see any that are better at it, maybe a few more aggressive, but they end up getting penalties or taking themselves/ their rivals out..
Jenson makes it an art..

I think people are overlooking that a lot of passes "said to be amazing" are him on new tyres and other drivers on older tyres.

Especially the fronts, he was understeering badly...

...and I disagree with Ray that Button screwed up. As I said before, I think he would have had a pistop in his pocket by lap 40 if it wasn't for the SC, which he lost due to chance (not some massive mistake by him or his team). Luck plays a part in any sport - that is what makes it unpredictable and therefore entertaining - on Sunday, the luck was flowing towards SV when his team's mistake went unpunished. He used his skill to make sure he made the most of it. but he was still lucky.

Especially the fronts, he was understeering badly...

...and I disagree with Ray that Button screwed up. As I said before, I think he would have had a pistop in his pocket by lap 40 if it wasn't for the SC, which he lost due to chance (not some massive mistake by him or his team). Luck plays a part in any sport - that is what makes it unpredictable and therefore entertaining - on Sunday, the luck was flowing towards SV when his team's mistake went unpunished. He used his skill to make sure he made the most of it. but he was still lucky.

I was wondering whether the tyres acted like the supersofts whereby you could get more laps out of them if you took it easy for a bit. Maybe this is the reason Vettel still had any tyres left at thast point, simply due to the safety car?:thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom