Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

How much time do you gain with 1 lap less of fuel? Is it 1 tenth per lap? Because Button says he was fueled to do 4 timed laps on the super-soft tyres in Q3 and set his time on the first lap. This would suggest even he could have possibly got pole, because Vettel went out, did one lap and then came back in.

"I made a bit of a mistake in Q2, but in Q3 I felt I did a very good lap and we were actually fuelled to do four timed laps, and it was on my first lap I did my best lap."

It's usually a tenth on a typical circuit but Monaco is such a short track, I suspect it's less.

Vettel came back in because Sergio had his accident, did he not? He and Lewis were both going for the one run with two timed laps, only Sebastian started just a little earlier than Lewis.

We were robbed in Qualifying, and robbed in the Race. As a spectator, a disappointing weekend. :(

I believe I'm entitled to my own opinion.
To call it the best race in Monaco is quite silly.

It was more like a Saturday afternoon on the high street with all the queueing than a race.

With nowhere to pass, it's not a race.

Vettel you lucky boy. Laughable how much everything worked against Button and for Vettel. It was clearly a matter of laps before at least Fernando Alonso got past him.

And what is with all these overtaking penalties. It is like they are sending out a clear message that driver are to follow the car in front. They may as well just wave yellow flags all race and have it a processional like they so clearly want. Paul Di Resta dives down the inside but is forced over the pavement by Alguersuari and obviously hits him because there is no space and then that is considered "avoidable" for Paul? It was avoidable for Jaime who should've given him more room than the pavement. Then, Lewis' on Massa was even worse. Clearly Massa turned in on him and where was Lewis suppose to go after that. The worse of all is the fact that they are investigating Lewis and Pastor. Sure, give the retired Pastor Maldonado a penalty, but not Lewis. He was side by side and Pastor sends him over the bollard. Just ridiculous encouragement for dangerous defending by the FIA and worse a discouragement of overtaking round Monaco.

Not happy at all. I can't see the difference between Schumacher's move on Lewis and Lewis' move on Schumacher against the ones i just spoke about. The only difference is Lewis and Michael didn't turn in on their counterparts because they knew it would end their race. Surely the driver on the inside has the inside line, otherwise you could turn in on anybody at any time and it would be the overtakers fault.

Just to clarify, i did think it was an interesting race, but it was equally frustrating.

It was more like a Saturday afternoon on the high street with all the queueing than a race.

There was places to pass, but F1 give so much advantage to the defender who is on the outside, that pretty much every overtake lead to one penalty and one DNF.

Before the red flag I could see it been the best Monaco race since '92! But we robbed of the classic. It will still go down as a classic due to the drama that unfolded right to the end.

The list of misfortunes for Lewis were endless this weekend:
- Perez's crash
- Having his only lap time deleted - fairly of course
- Being given a penalty for overtaking Massa
- Then that penalty being given after a safety car
- Being hit from behind by Alguesuari
- Getting alongside Maldonado at the end and being send into the bollard and Maldonado himself
- Possibly getting a penalty for it - based on consistency?
- Being stuck constantly in traffic
- Team not being ready for tyres when pitting - this was probably a big one
...you can add your own
Yet still he gets 8 points, as of now. 58 behind. :(

Right to the red flag, it looked a classic. Then on lap 72, the race was restarted with the new tyres and it was all pointless!

Yeah i have to say some of these rules are anti-racing. They should've restarted in the conditions they were, it was only fair, and Lewis would've had to unfortunately retire after Jaime hit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom