Le Mans 2011 Le Mans 24 Hours

This month's Motor Sport magazine has an excellent Le Mans preview (odd timing...perhaps they've something big planned for next month) which I'd recommend to everyone (obviously easier for UK-based members...!).

In it they interview Audi's engine chief Ulrich Baretzky, who is forthright on the subject of Aston Martin's prototype contender, describing their choice of powerplant as "incomprehensible" and going on: "They made an open car with the wrong engine. A straight-six engine with a turbo - sorry, but this is one of the worst combinations I have ever seen." :(

Heh-heh......

2011-Audi-R18-TDI-2.jpg

Those damnable "shark fins" on the Audi and Aston make them look like bread vans from the side. However, they DO provide acres of space for adverts!

Ha! Surely you jest Matthew...

;)
No, I honestly think if Peugeot hadn't run their 908's into the ground last year, they would've beaten the boys from Ingolstadt........ :o:o

Then again, Axle......I would love to see about 15 or so Daytona Prototypes' blasting down the Mulsanne Straight at full song......... :givemestrength::givemestrength::givemestrength:LOL 8-)

Found a few more LeMans videos on the Youtube to whet the appetite, now that LeMans is only about a month or so down the road............

Speaking of the 1991 edition......here were the class winners at La Sarthe that year:
---C2 Class: #55 MazdaSpeed Mazda 787B(Johnny Herbert, Bertrand Gachot, Volker Weidler)
---C1 Class: #41 Euro Racing/Team Fedco Spice SE90C/Ford-Cosworth DFZ(Kiyoshi Misaki, Hisashi Yokoshima, Naoki Nagasaka)

Speed Channel: ACO Makes Pre-LeMans 24 Preformance Adjustments

Officials with the ACO released their list of technical adjustments this week; here are the highlights..........
~~~LMP1: Gas-powered prototypes were given a fuel-flow restrictor increase; in addition, most received air intake restrictor increases as well. In addition, teams can choose whether they wish to either, (a)use the larger air intake restrictor or (b)be allowed to take 10kg of ballast off the cars(however, teams that go this route must decide one or the other; they cannot use both AND they cannot switch options during the remainder of either the ILMC or LeMans Series seasons
~~~LMP1: Diesel-powered entries were given smaller fuel-flow restrictors; however, Team ORECA Matmut received a 15kg weight break for their 2010-spec Peugeot 908 HDi prototypes
~~~LMP2: All LMP2 entrants were given fuel-flow restrictor increases; in addition, any LMP2 teams utilizing Judd & HPD engines received a larger air intake restrictor
~~~GTE: (1)all GTE entrants received a 50kg weight break, (2)the Lotus Evora GTE received a 1.4mm air intake restrictor increase, (3)the Aston Martin Vantage can run with a 10mm smaller gurney, and (4)the Ford GT will be allowed to run with a 1.3mm air intake restrictor increase

Le Mans is always worth going to, if for no other reason than to watch Kristensen in action! How he never went into Formula 1 escapes me. His control in the wet is incredible!

Speed Channel's probably going to have its' usual 18+ hours of LeMans coverage(they'll start around 8:30am Saturday morning, run straight through Saturday except for a few hours mid/late-afternoon and then run straight through to the end Sunday morning)...........better start firing up the coffee machines for the 24. ;)

Back
Top Bottom