Grand Prix 2011 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Who was saying 2011 was boring?

It's amazing how a few non Red Bull dominated races can change the complexion of F1 and suddenly it's exciting again. However before we get too carried away, Vettel still holds a massive points lead and despite a poor (by his standards) race in Germany, he is still hot favourite as the F1 circus rolls into Hungary.

Hungary isn't known for it's exciting races (apart from 2006 possibly thanks to the weather) due to the dust bowl and lack of overtaking oppurtunities, but if 2011 is anything to go by, the phrase 'no overtaking' has been thrown out of the dictionary.

Despite recent set backs Red Bull will be favourites to bounce back at a circuit which suits them to a tee with weather conditions that will be beneficial to Vettel who struggled with grip at the chilly Nurburgring. However Ferrari and Mclaren have shown that they won't just stand still and let Red Bull walk to the championship with Hamilton and Alonso winning in the last 2 grand prix.

Indeed Mclaren seemed to be in trouble going into the German GP as they were off the pace of the Red Bulls and Ferraris, but in Hamiltons hands the car made a miracle recovery to not only take a front row position ahead of Vettel, but take the teams third win of the season after very stiff competition from Alonso and Webber. Is this the start of the established teams fightback?

Even beleagured Ferrari driver Massa has showed improved form recently with two 5th placed positions in the last 2 races but they could have easily been 2 fourth places had it not been for a strong defensive rearguard from Hamilton in Silverstone and a pit stop mess up in Germany which enabled Vettel to get past on the last lap. As Ferrari plan to take the fight to Red Bull, they will need Massa to take points off Vettel and Webber if Alonso is to have any chance of a miracle fightback.

Mercedes are in a league of their own at the moment, but not in a good way. They are faster than the likes of Renault and Force India, but slower than Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren and the 7th/8th place almost has a Mercedes name penned in if there aren't any incidents, (which knowing Schumacher is rare)

Renault have dropped off badly after a strong start to the season and after a crash from Heidfeld and a poor race from Petrov, they now find themselves picking up the scraps in the midfield for 5th place in the championship as Mercedes start to pull away from the black and gold outfit, maybe a tweak of the exhaust might bring them better fortunes in Hungary.

One person who drove a great race in Germany but hardly got any recognition was Adrian Sutil who drove probably the best race of the German drivers. 6th place after a strong qualifying will no doubt relieve the pressure that had been building on him and will show to Di Resta that he won't have things his own way at Force India and that Hulkenberg might have to wait a while for a race seat.

No doubt that there won't be any uncertainties about the weather this weekend as more often than not Hungary provides a race weekend with 30 degree sunshine with not a cloud to be seen, apart from the 2006 race which was notable for Jenson Buttons first win in the Honda.

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/hungaroring/

Pop Quiz - Who won the first Hungarian GP and in what car?

Nuvolari in an Alfa Romeo in 1936

Nuvalori in an Alfa in 1936.
Mind you I only know that because I posted an article on that race in 1936 a few wees ago. That helped.

CTA.jpg

Seb has scored twice as many points as JB in the Championship this season. JB is as Close to Seb as he is to PDR in the Championship.

Also Seb has scored at least one-and-a-half points for every point scored by someone else thus far. Anyone wanting to overturn that has to do the same again (and more!)

It is over.

View attachment 2127

Seb has scored twice as many points as JB in the Championship this season. JB is as Close to Seb as he is to PDR in the Championship.

Also Seb has scored at least one-and-a-half points for every point scored by someone else thus far. Anyone wanting to overturn that has to do the same again (and more!)

It is over.
Surely you mean Di Resta? :whistle:

I keep on getting confused with this as well because in the past PDR = Pedro de la Rosa, but now it is more likely to mean Paul di Resta.

Thats a shortening rather than an acronym. OK, I should have thought about that one.

I'll change my statement. It is over if Vettel starts every race until the end of the season.

Aren't all acronyms shortenings?

acronym
ak-ruh-nim
–noun
a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation

I'd say that DIR counts as an acronym.

Vettel could start every race till the end of the season and DNF or finish out of the points in every race. Unlikely perhaps, but he doesn't actually need to do quite that badly to still be overtaken if one other driver has a strong second half. Therefore it is not yet over.

Thats a shortening rather than an acronym. OK, I should have thought about that one.

I'll change my statement. It is over if Vettel starts every race until the end of the season.

and completes every race

2 dnfs in a season is highly probable

its impossible to predict the 2nd half by looking at the first half, its no way over yet

Back
Top Bottom