Grand Prix 2011 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Who was saying 2011 was boring?

It's amazing how a few non Red Bull dominated races can change the complexion of F1 and suddenly it's exciting again. However before we get too carried away, Vettel still holds a massive points lead and despite a poor (by his standards) race in Germany, he is still hot favourite as the F1 circus rolls into Hungary.

Hungary isn't known for it's exciting races (apart from 2006 possibly thanks to the weather) due to the dust bowl and lack of overtaking oppurtunities, but if 2011 is anything to go by, the phrase 'no overtaking' has been thrown out of the dictionary.

Despite recent set backs Red Bull will be favourites to bounce back at a circuit which suits them to a tee with weather conditions that will be beneficial to Vettel who struggled with grip at the chilly Nurburgring. However Ferrari and Mclaren have shown that they won't just stand still and let Red Bull walk to the championship with Hamilton and Alonso winning in the last 2 grand prix.

Indeed Mclaren seemed to be in trouble going into the German GP as they were off the pace of the Red Bulls and Ferraris, but in Hamiltons hands the car made a miracle recovery to not only take a front row position ahead of Vettel, but take the teams third win of the season after very stiff competition from Alonso and Webber. Is this the start of the established teams fightback?

Even beleagured Ferrari driver Massa has showed improved form recently with two 5th placed positions in the last 2 races but they could have easily been 2 fourth places had it not been for a strong defensive rearguard from Hamilton in Silverstone and a pit stop mess up in Germany which enabled Vettel to get past on the last lap. As Ferrari plan to take the fight to Red Bull, they will need Massa to take points off Vettel and Webber if Alonso is to have any chance of a miracle fightback.

Mercedes are in a league of their own at the moment, but not in a good way. They are faster than the likes of Renault and Force India, but slower than Ferrari, Red Bull and Mclaren and the 7th/8th place almost has a Mercedes name penned in if there aren't any incidents, (which knowing Schumacher is rare)

Renault have dropped off badly after a strong start to the season and after a crash from Heidfeld and a poor race from Petrov, they now find themselves picking up the scraps in the midfield for 5th place in the championship as Mercedes start to pull away from the black and gold outfit, maybe a tweak of the exhaust might bring them better fortunes in Hungary.

One person who drove a great race in Germany but hardly got any recognition was Adrian Sutil who drove probably the best race of the German drivers. 6th place after a strong qualifying will no doubt relieve the pressure that had been building on him and will show to Di Resta that he won't have things his own way at Force India and that Hulkenberg might have to wait a while for a race seat.

No doubt that there won't be any uncertainties about the weather this weekend as more often than not Hungary provides a race weekend with 30 degree sunshine with not a cloud to be seen, apart from the 2006 race which was notable for Jenson Buttons first win in the Honda.

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/hungaroring/

The Last Five Years:

CTA.jpg

Kovalainen to score his second win. Any takers?

I think if Germany has taught us anything it's that we have no longre have any idea who's gonna be quickest come Saturday. Given the Mclaren's pace in sector 1 yesterday I think they'll go well here so long as it's not too hot for Hamilton's tyres and Button doesn't have another weekend like his past two.

On paper this is RBRs to lose (like every other race this season), the good thing is that the gap has closed meaning pressure and mistakes being made by drivers and teams.

If the season is won, at least we are now getting exciting races for 1st place, not just 2nd.

In terms of speed it's one of Alonsos better tracks (2003/2004) but he seems to have rotten luck here,(2006/2009)

That doesn't surprise me, it's the only straight really and they would have been stupid to have placed it between turn 3 and 4. You never know though, DRS might actually work this weekend.

In terms of speed it's one of Alonsos better tracks (2003/2004) but he seems to have rotten luck here,(2006/2009)

But as a Ferrari and Nando fan I will watch nevertheless, mostly because it is not like the first 6 odd races which were like razorblades to the soul, I think the mods and general attitude around Ferrari is better, even Massa has been punchy of late.

It makes for better viewing at least. Ferrari do seem in better spirits and like you said recently Massa has been more competetive which is what this year badly needs.

If it is a warm race with better track temps, then the race for me will be interesting and whether the said downforce improvement significantly helps Ferrari on the dreaded Primes.

Well the forecast says rain, but I know a lot better than to trust the weather forecasts, I hope its sunny because it'll give a clear picture of where everyone is, in terms of pace.

The only wet race in Hungarian GP history was in 2006. Alonso lost a wheel nut, Raikkonen hit a Toro Rosso, Schumacher cut the chicane repeatedly (without punishment), Kubica was disqualified on début and Pedro de la Rosa scored his only podium.

And Jenson Button won it.

As long as it is not 2010 all over......for a race interest perspective, watching Mark Webber drive forever on worn out options and still knock off fastest times, was just too painfull.

I don't think it takes a betting man to assume that the bungfight will be the usual suspects; Seb, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton. Though I think Massa and Button will happily love to throw a spanner in the works, and most people, fans or neutrals will love to see Massa, Button and possibly Rosberg find something.

I did rather naively continue my predictions of races which I think have been bad so I haven't gone back to see how it panned out, that said I will on theory alone assume that Vettel and/or Webber will be the drivers with bullseyes on them, Lewis will be feeling a lot better again, and judging from the media Alonso seems to be very keen to rangle some bull.

We can never know, a bad result starts to put the butterflies back into Vettels stomach, particularly when he knows that Mark Webber has himself been a bit chirpy about his chances at RB. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we can extend this season to Abu Dhabi.

The only wet race in Hungarian GP history was in 2006. Alonso lost a wheel nut, Raikkonen hit a Toro Rosso, Schumacher cut the chicane repeatedly (without punishment), Kubica was disqualified on début and Pedro de la Rosa scored his only podium.

And Jenson Button won it.

Event-full much?

Event-full much?

It was. By the way, it has to be the only event I can remember when qualifying time penalties were used. Both Alonso and Schumacher had 2 seconds added to their times for quali, rather than the standard grid drop. One for the FIA to try on Moose soon, I think.

Schumi nearly made Q3 with an awesome lap by the way.

Back
Top Bottom