Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

It is good to see Felipe battling up the front, i expect him to do well in Turkey as that is one of his favorite tracks. It seems he has got over the crash and is competitive again

I wouldn't mind if that was the consistent case TBY and you may have a point, but he doesn't apply that to Jenson when he does well. I'll wait to see if he gives him any in the selected quotes. I was just a bit taken aback that he couldn't bring himself to talk about him separately. He won for goodness sake and not from pole either.
I agree totally Hamberg; I too have resisted the cries on 606 of JB 'favouritism' from Whitmarsh, but I was actually quite taken aback by his very deadpan congratulations for Lewis today, especially given the nature of it, compared to how he reacts when Jenson wins.

That was a staggering performance from Lewis today to come back so strongly from the disappointment of Malaysia, and especially after the drama of nearly not even making it to the grid. You could see what it meant to him as he prepared for the podium ceremony. On the same tyre strategy as his teammate, even after having been compromised by that teammate pitting a lap later than he should on his first stop, he blew him and everyone else away. Great fightback drive by Mark Webber too, mustn't forget to give him a mention for that. What a race!

I agree totally Hamberg; I too have resisted the cries on 606 of JB 'favouritism' from Whitmarsh, but I was actually quite taken aback by his very deadpan congratulations for Lewis today, especially given the nature of it, compared to how he reacts when Jenson wins.

It is a year since Button won!

I suppose JB is Whitmarsh's signing, but I don't think there is much more to it than that!

I think it's also worth pointing out that Mark's fastest lap was a massive 1.5 seconds faster than Lewis who had the second fastest lap time.

It is a year since Button won!
I suppose JB is Whitmarsh's signing, but I don't think there is much more to it than that!
And Spa 2010 was the last race won by either Mclaren driver. And Vettel had won five out of the last six races. So all the more reason for the Mclaren team principal to be ecstatic with such a dramatic and important win. And yet Whitmarsh seemed strangely flat about the whole thing.

Whitmarsh was more upbeat about Jenson's second last week than Hamilton's first today.

Lewis and Jenson had both finished 2 in previous races, tell me there is not a difference in reaction...

After Oz

“Early on, Lewis was more or less able to stay in touch with Sebastian, but once his car’s undertray had been damaged he was no longer able to keep the leading Red Bull in sight. Even so, he drove a great race, in difficult circumstances, to finish second today. Jenson drove hard and well all afternoon too, but was thwarted by two separate pieces of bad luck... Had he not been given that penalty, he’d have been spraying champagne on the podium with Sebastian and Lewis this afternoon"

After Malaysia
"Jenson drove a truly excellent race today, pushing hard when it was appropriate to do so but also conserving his tyres when necessary, and the result was a very well deserved second place. Lewis had a difficult afternoon..."

What about the Ferraris? There still doesn't seem to be anything coming from the stewards about investigating either Massa's crossing of the pit exit white line or Alonso's DRS activating outside of the eligible zone. I know I made a comment earlier in response to Brogan, referring to the colour of their cars, but have they both got away with it?

Edit: come to think of it, well before Massa crossed the line I thought I saw Vettel do the same thing (or at least touch the line, anyway). So did he get away with the same thing?

I think it's also worth pointing out that Mark's fastest lap was a massive 1.5 seconds faster than Lewis who had the second fastest lap time.

To be honest, the fastest lap doesn't tell us anything that we didn't know from qualifying. In the race, Webber was the only one to properly push on the options as most other people had them at the start of the race. If anything we've seen that one lap pace and extended race pace are completely different things this year. If Webber hadn't have started at the back, he wouldn't have had the options for the last stint.

Jenson's missing his pit stop window cost Lewis 2+ seconds and 3 places on track! :o
Lewis		Jenson
10 1:44.762 10 1:44.719
11 1:45.029 11 1:45.118
12 1:45.047 12 1:45.341
13 1:45.697 13 1:45.974
14 1:47.762 14 P 1:50.890
15 P 1:52.046 15 2:04.610
16 2:01.036 16 1:43.959
17 1:43.416 17 1:43.816
18 1:42.881 18 1:43.254

To be honest, the fastest lap doesn't tell us anything that we didn't know from qualifying. In the race, Webber was the only one to properly push on the options as most other people had them at the start of the race. If anything we've seen that one lap pace and extended race pace are completely different things this year. If Webber hadn't have started at the back, he wouldn't have had the options for the last stint.

Mark		Lewis
38 1:42.613 38 P 1:45Hard
39 1:41.354 39 1:57.724
40 P 1:45Soft 40 1:42.132
41 1:56.169 41 1:41.488
42 [B][U]1:38.993[/U][/B] 42 1:42.030
43 1:39.232 43 1:41.034
44 1:41.222 44 1:41.850
45 1:40.328 45 1:40.899
46 1:39.462 46 1:40.957
47 1:39.830 47 1:40.923
48 1:39.553 48 [B][U]1:40.415[/U][/B]
49 1:39.619 49 1:40.939
50 1:39.502 50 1:42.050

Pit stop summary – 2011 Chinese Grand Prix
Hamilton: S S (15) S (25) H (38) 3
Vettel: S S (14) H (31) 2
Webber: H S (10) S (25) S (40) 3
Button: S S (14) S (24) H (39) 3
Rosberg: S S (12) S (25) H (38) 3
Massa: S S (15) H (33) 2
Alonso: S S (16) H (33) 2
Schumacher: S S (10) S (26) H (39) 3
Petrov: S S (17) H (37) 2
Kobayashi: S S (14) H (30) 2
Di Resta: S S (11) H (32) 2
Heidfeld: S S (18) H (30) 2
Barrichello: S S (16) H (35) 2
Buemi: S S (12) H (16) H (33) 3
Sutil: S S (15) H (30) S (47) 3
Kovalainen: S S (19) H (40) 2
Perez: S S (16) H (36) DT* (48) DT* (50) 4
Maldonado: S S (10) H (25) H (40) 3
Trulli: S S (20) H (42) 2
D’Ambrosio: S S (20) H (34) 2
Glock: S S (16) S (28) H (39) 3
Liuzzi: S DT* (9) H (21) S (45) 3
Karthikeyan: S H (23) 1
Alguersuari: S S (9) 1

The first column denotes the tyres the driver started the race on.
S = Soft compound
H = Hard compound
The last column gives the total amount of pit stops.
* Drive through

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/n...ing-battles-in-china-as-tyre-strategy-is-key/

What about the Ferraris? There still doesn't seem to be anything coming from the stewards about investigating either Massa's crossing of the pit exit white line or Alonso's DRS activating outside of the eligible zone. I know I made a comment earlier in response to Brogan, referring to the colour of their cars, but have they both got away with it?

Edit: come to think of it, well before Massa crossed the line I thought I saw Vettel do the same thing (or at least touch the line, anyway). So did he get away with the same thing?

Drivers are allowed to cross that white line if it's still technically in the pitlane i.e before the white line that cuts across the track.

Snowy, I reckon that if Hamilton, (or Button) had fresh options right at the end of the race, they would have been capable of 1:39s as much as Webber.

Back
Top Bottom