Grand Prix 2011 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's a long summer and the key discussions aren't about the F1.

As we are in the middle of the summer break, the SKY/BBC deal continues to take precedence over any on track action we saw at Hungary, which is a shame as we saw a cracker of a race where Jenson Button eventually won his second race of the season ahead of Sebastian Vettel who extended his lead at the top of the championship yet again and surely it takes a miracle for anyone to overtake him now with less than half the races to go.

However with Belgium coming closer on the calender, it seems as if Red Bull has lost the dominance it held over the first half of the season with McLaren appearing to have the best all round package with 4 wins now this year with 2 for Button and 2 for Hamilton. Ferrari aren't far behind and are perhaps the best team in warm conditions but that remains to be seen after a series of damp and cold races. However it would still be a foolish person to bet against Red Bull going into the Belgian Grand Prix where the fast sweeping corners and technical hairpins will no doubt play to their advantage.

Spa Francorchamps is regarded (quite rightly) as the best driver circuit on the calendar with the famous circuit having many variations from its original form to the current version which was last changed in 2006 to incorporate the new pit area and final chicane, the final chicane wasn't popular as both fans and drivers miss the challenging bus stop chicane and the 'new' pit lane which can cause problems.

The grand prix has been famous for it's unpredictable weather with violent storms and half the track being dry and the other wet at the same time and completely random showers, the big example was 2008 where a late shower caught out the entire field and cost Kimi Raikkonen (and eventually Hamilton) the win. In 1998 torrential rain caused one of the worst starts in F1 history where half the field was wiped out on turn 1, eventually (after a restart) Damon Hill won for Jordan in a 1-2 with Ralf Schumacher second, Michael Schumacher famously nearly started a fight with David Coulthard after crashing into him trying to lap him.

Michael Schumacher has an impressive record at this track, winning his first race at the track in 1992 and taking several wins at the track with his last coming in 2002 where he took his seventh world championship. However at the moment it is unlikely that he will add to his list of wins with the Mercedes well off the pace of the leading trio of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

Mercedes might find themselves behind Force India at the race as the track suits them down to a tee, in 2009 Fisichella took a surprise pole position and then took second place just finishing behind Raikkonen in the Ferrari (who always seemed to win at Spa when he was driving there)
Sutil and Di Resta have shown impressive pace recently, with both achieving season bests at the last few races and are closing the gap to the flagging Renault team who have really lost performance since the start of the season with Heidfeld and Petrov dissapointing.

On a personal level I am really looking forward to this race as I have weekend tickets and will be at Pouhon all weekend to bring you the best coverage from the track, (better than these Sky lot anyway)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

I think Spa all depends on DRS / Rear wings. McLaren are behind both Ferrari and Red Bull in this area and their DRS does not reduce much drag. It's better for the race than for qualifying, but they'll be miles behind in qualifying unless they get a new, lower downforce rear wing / DRS working. Their qualifying loss in this area has been hidden in the past few races due to there not being many long straights, but Spa is covered with huge long straights and in qualifying, if you can reduce drag you will gain a significant amount of time. Look at what happened to McLaren in Canda, they admitted they got it wrong by not bringing a lower drag rear wing and more powerful DRS.

They were trialing 2 new rear wing / DRS options at Hungary in practice, both had the central support pillar removed and were lower drag with smaller planes and a larger DRS opening. One was activated in a similar way to Red Bull's whilst the other was activated through the rear wing end-plates, similar to Mercedes (I think). Hopefully they'll get one working. If they do, I think they will be on pole and probably win the race. If they do not, they won't be on pole but still could challenge for victory.

Friday weather: 0700- Patchy rain 1300- patchy light rain with thinder
Saturday: 0100- Torrential rain showers 0700- Sunny skies 1300- patchy rain possible
Sunday- Unavailable.
I'll update sunday tomorrow as i get it

Friday weather: 0700- Patchy rain 1300- patchy light rain with thinder
Saturday: 0100- Torrential rain showers 0700- Sunny skies 1300- patchy rain possible
Sunday- Unavailable.
I'll update sunday tomorrow as i get it

I'm gona need an umbrella then...........

Hmm with the Kemmel Straight already being a viable overtaking opportunity maybe they will place it on the run towards the Bus Stop chicane.

Blanchimont would send the cars into the wall if they went through there in DRS mode though

Ha! it might make it exciting though.
iching for this GP to come along, why does the mid season break have to come before it. It just makes the wait worse.

sounds like you people are writing off RedBull here though. I think they've still got a fairly good chance, although they don't exactly need thw wins.

I am sort of hoping for a vettel DNf though just to make things a little more tasty in the WDC.

Its banned through eau rouge. Don't see why the FIA don't let the drivers work out if its safe or not. The two best spots are already good overtaking places. This will be like Monza, and DRS will have little effect.

I thought he meant either detection through eau rouge, for kemmel after it but that is just my thought.

Last time I went it didn't rain at all for the entire weekend and there wasn't a cloud to be seen :D

I seem to remember that 2007 was dry but it was horrendously cold at night. The forecast for one of the nights (Saturday or Sunday?) was 0 degrees C, I wore everything and used two sleeping bags. That's what comes of having cloudless conditions.

I hope they show the hghlights of Europeans falling down mudbanks if it does rain :D Memories of 2010!

Spa has some pretty high speed corners too that usually suit the Bulls, I think the top three teams will be razor close throughout the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom