Grand Prix 2010 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after what has seemed like an age, F1 resumes and it is to arguably one of the most liked circuits on the calendar, by both drivers and fans.

With Spa being a relatively high speed circuit, low downforce is the order of the day. Renault will be introducing yet more upgrades, including their version of the F-Duct. It will be interesting to see how the relative performance of the car compares to the McLaren.

The FIA announced earlier that they would be changing the bodywork flexi tests after all the controversy surrounding the Red Bull front wings. So it remains to be seen whether Red Bull will have a legal car and if so, whether they will retain the significant advantage they have enjoyed of late.

There have also been some circuit changes with extra run off areas and more artificial grass. In addition, a control loop has been installed at Radillion (the left hand turn after Eau Rouge) which will inform race control if all 4 wheels of a car are off the circuit. It's a good job Kimi's not racing this weekend...

Things are still very tight in the WDC with just 20 points separating the top 5, which is about 8 points in "old money", so any one of 5 drivers could be leading come Sunday.
A lot will hinge on the FIA tests though as to who will have an advantage, if anyone.

Will Force India be able to repeat their nearly-success from last year?
Michael Schumacher will be hoping that his experience and knowledge of the circuit will give him an advantage.

Throw in some inclement weather and a safety car and it could be anyone's race.

All the circuit related data including a simulation video and weather foreacast is here: Belgium - Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps

Re: 2010 Belgian GP Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Massa is ahead of Alonso, a (un)coded message at somepoint during the race?

The driver in third seems to spin, avoid the wall and subsequently take the lead! LOL Omen for Massa? :whistle:

jaime alguersuari has been penalised for cutting a corner and gaining an unfair advantage, he loses 10th place and 1 point and Tonio Luizzi claims 10th

Although I'm not a fan of wet races as I find they become too much of a lottery and don't necessarily reward driver skill, today's race wasn't too bad.

It had a bit of everything and more than made up for the 4 week break.

Red Bull clearly had less (no?) of an advantage here but that could be mainly down to the circuit.
Monza will be similar so it won't be until Singapore where we find out what the relative performance of the top 3/4 teams is.

I would be interested to see the overtaking stats for the race, but G might be a long time doing them ;)

At last, footage which proves that Massa was well past his grid slot.
It seems strange that he escaped punishment for this considering Brundle noticed it straight away.

That mans eagled eyed!! Maybe Charlie/the stewards should sit in the commentary box?? :D

Here's a wide-eyed mad conspiracy theory for you!

What if Massa was there deliberately, so he'd be behind Alonso after the penalty? If Charlie Whiting knew this, then it may have been wiser to not penalise Ferrari, since Ferrari wanted to be penalised.

That's madder than a wheely bin full of cats but the alternative is that at the next race everyone is going to start the race 2mtrs ahead of where they should!

Is it possible they forgot about it due to the rain, chicane, crash and safety car? I thought Martin Brundle was shocked at some point saying something along the lines of "surely they can't investigate everyone who cut the chicane?!" It isn't good enough but at least there may be some reason for them not investigating.
The stewards clearly need to listen to the TV feed LOL

I remember Martin mentioning it at the time but as no sanction was given though he must have been mistaken but there's the proof.

Don't all the cars have a transponder in the so that race control can check for jump starts? The one that springs to mind is Fernando Alonso in China this year but I recall seeing Charlie Whiting pointing out of the window at him for that one.

The FIA has launched an investigation into why Felipe Massa was able to start the Belgian Grand Prix slightly ahead of his grid slot without the error getting picked up at the time.

Amateur video footage that appeared on the Internet in the days after the race showed that Massa came to a stop on the grid slightly in front of where he should have been.

Eh?

They had to rely on amateur video footage to see the transgression?
Brundle noticed it immediately so presumably so did many other people, including some officials.

How very odd.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86327

There are sensors to detect jump starts but they only respond to movement, I think.

There should certainly be enough observers around to notice that, though. Poor show really.

Galahad said:
There are sensors to detect jump starts but they only respond to movement, I think.

There should certainly be enough observers around to notice that, though. Poor show really.

There is a steward right on his line?

I suppose I should be able to say "c'est la vie" but when I try to speak French it comes out all wrong.
So instead I will say what I think... What a bunch of ****ing arseholes. >:(

I hope the censor edit doesn't mask my true feelings. :whistle:

teabagyokel said:
Here's a wide-eyed mad conspiracy theory for you!

What if Massa was there deliberately, so he'd be behind Alonso after the penalty? If Charlie Whiting knew this, then it may have been wiser to not penalise Ferrari, since Ferrari wanted to be penalised.
It seems you're not the only one tby who thought of this...

http://www.planetf1.com/editorial/6357086/The-Mystery-of-Gridgate-Deepens

Back
Top Bottom