Pre-Season Winter testing : 2014 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were a team manager and were testing the car for a new season what I wouldn’t at some point during the 12 days of testing is point at a driver and say “Oi go out there on low fuel and we’ll turn the wick up to the max stick as fast a lap as you possibly can in, I really want you to give it the full beans.” And the reason I wouldn't do this is because it would be of very little benefit to the team and at the same time broadcast exactly what my car is capable of and another reason I would not do it is because it just is not necessary as the same information can be achieved much more efficiently by other means without giving anything away to the other teams.

This is my take on testing and how I think it is done this may not be true but it makes sense to me.

First Test

Just used for bedding in systems check and gradually putting some miles on the car collecting and collating that data with the results from the simulators wind tunnel and test rigs nothing to heavy just getting a feel for the car.

Second Test

I bit more intensive maybe putting in some race distances for reliability purposes also trying out different settings and aerodynamic body work for comparisons maybe putting in a few fast sector times but not a complete fast lap from this it can be deduced what the car is capable of without giving anything away.

Third Test

Assuming everything has gone to plan then this test will be about development and set up work towards the first race I would make sure that some quick sector times were put in to try and understand what the ultimate lap would be without actually doing one it would also be for more race simulation work and tyre analyses which would be a theme throughout the three tests at no time would I allow a driver to do an out and out fast lap because it just is not necessary.

This is a very simplistic view of what I’m trying to get at and every team apart from the ones who have had big problems will now have a pretty good idea at where their cars are without once taking that car to the limit and without trying to break an engine just to see where the breaking point is because for most of the teams they do not have control over that aspect of the car let the engine manufactures worry about that and let the teams get on with evaluating the rest of the chassis.

This is why I say none of us sitting in our rooms coming up with pet little theories can possibly derive any information about who is fastest simply by looking at testing, even the teams won’t know that all they will know is what their own package is capable of.

So you can shoot me down and spank my bum all you want for saying this but if any of you think you know what is going on up until now about who is in front, trust me you don’t and neither do I but it is fairly obvious how is struggling.

But like I said if I were doing the testing this is how I would go about it and Kewee it wouldn't make a jot of difference about the all new engines and the all new regs I would stick to the plan…

By the way this is a serious and unusually long winded post from me so give me a break..

Last edited:
Mephistopheles I'd also add that weight is one of those areas that is relatively easy to model the effect of- so even if teams don't decide to do an absolute minimum weight quali run, since they know how much fuel is in their car, they would also be able to interpolate what the absolute pace would be! Even teams that state they're doing qualifying type runs doesn't mean that they've pushed themselves down to the absolute limit- but I suppose the absolute thing is that we really don't know for sure what any team is doing- or where they are in terms of speed- but it's worth speculating!

Remember in 2013, Red bull were 2 seconds a lap off the Mercedes pace in testing!!!

Last edited:
Lap times aren't the issue here. Will Redbull get a car capable of finishing a race before Melbourne? I'm expecting the car to be looking like Swiss cheese after practise.

I'm just astonished that these beasties will push over 200mph with a 1.6 litre engine. Didn't someone suggest in China they could be topping 230 on the long straight there? Crazy.

It just occured to me that with Red Bull seemingly lacking pace and the 4 seemingly front running teams being 4 of the 5 have dominated F1 since the 70's (ok I know the Merc to Tyrell thing is a push!), have the new regs actually just restored the status quo in F1? Are we returning to the F1 norm after the Red Bull blip with just the team from Enstone letting the side down?

Probably not as I'd be silly to write off Red Bulls chances but its interesting that we'll probably hear the words 'shake up' used a lot when really its just what a lot of us are used too.

If you see Force India as the descendant of Jordan you even have the 6th team nibbling at their heels like they have since the early 90's.

What astonishes me is that anyone could believe that any of the teams have put in an out and out banzai qualifying lap in during testing! By that reckoning it would put Williams nearly 3 seconds per lap faster than McLaren...

All teams would want to do a fast qualy run at the end of testing if they've got through the rest of the schedule. With so many New components they would want to stress every part of that car in an many ways as possible and getting the maximum understanding of every characteristic. Going for a banzai lap would be part of it and with half the competition more concerned about making it to the first pit stop there's very little to lose.

Sure it wouldn't be the top priority buy it would be on the list. Teams that struggled early on and were always on the back foot might not get around to it and those that had a lot of problems on the last few days similarly might not but ideally teams would be doing so. In this atmosphere leaving testing with people talking about how fast you are is only a good thing.

What is the risk of showing your hand too early? All the teams have two weeks to get sorted, all will be looking to add performance to the cars in that time, other than thinking, shit, they are really quick, I'm not sure that not showing their hand is a consideration for the teams really.

Excellent!! A late-night disagreement to distract me from my impending essay crisis!! To be honest, if I were a team manager (god forbid!!!) I would see no harm in doing a foot-to-the-floor hell-for-leather run. I would want to put the new parts under the maximum stress of a low-fuel run as, after all, that is exactly what's going to happen on every Saturday of a race weekend. And if something went wrong, I would much rather it happened during testing than during Q1/Q2/Q3, or even during the practice sessions.

Last edited:
If that were the case then they would do it in FP1, FP2 or FP3 but the don't, I don't think you realize how secretive the teams really are they will not give anything away unless they have to not even something as simple as letting it be known what rubber they will be running if they finish out side the top 10 in Q2 they will remain mute on pitstop strategy and anything else you care to ask them even down to the smallest thing you can possibly think of, they will stand guard with a crew of people hiding a new aero part from the prying eyes of other teams and the cameras until the last possible minute on the grid, they will cover up their cars at the first possible opportunity after an accident, so what makes you think they will give anything away in testing even the smallest of things let alone how fast their car is over a single lap? Which quite frankly is not the smallest of things...

Last edited:
1) Surely FP1, FP2 and P3 are more used for acclimatizing to a circuit though? It can't hard to give yourself a general idea of how well a car performs during testing at full speed - giving you a chance to iron out problems during testing instead of eating into valuable practice time (especially at the early races).

2) There's no good in keeping secrets if you don't have one to keep (i.e. you don't know the car's full potential)?

2) There's a difference, though, between a laptime and close-up views of car bodywork after an accident.

Of course, if your car's shit, then no-one will ever know your full potential until the first race.

I would get my #1 driver to do a balls to the wall supersoft qually run ... with a full tank of gas and using the ERS intermittently ... pull in after and bemoan the lack of pace .... and then go and stroke Blofelds cat while talking into the video monitor about how disappointed I was with #4 after he failed to bring those extra parts the previous day ....just like every other team ... foxing around ...

It would not surprise me one jot if RBR turn up to Melbourne and bang it on pole or close to it ... not sure about longevity ... but that car is fast ... they be hoping for the winter season on one day over the race weekend to help cool it down ....

A cars full potential is judged over a race distance not on a single lap, (Just like a drivers is, Or should be, Trulli great in qualifying a road block in racing) look at Merc last year, great in qualifying shit in the race, and a team will know what the car can do on a single flying lap without actually doing one from other data so like I said there is no point in doing one..

Last edited:
I'm not saying that they should exclusively focus on flying laps, just do a few to get a general idea pre-season of how the cars perform under extreme stress.

And data is no substitute for reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom