Pre-Season Winter testing : 2014 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately it will take a full season to gather all the information they need to do this,
So why waste precious time on balls out qualifying runs on a track that will not be used until much later in the season and bears no resemblance to Melbourne when the cars will not be the same beasts when they eventually do go there and could damage the cars either in an accident or otherwise wasting even more practice time, for no good reason other than to say look how fast our car is?

And yes Williams have a history of doing precisely this, only to be nowhere near the pace when the season begins...

I said testing all aspects of there performance. I thought that statement would be enough for you to realize I wasn't just referring to qualifying runs, but obviously how a teams car behaves when pushed is important. If there are any nasty surprises better to find them during the last test than the day before qualifying.
Regarding Williams, I'm not about to criticize them, I'm old enough to remember when they were totally dominant.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjo
One other point worth remembering Mephistopheles, the teams that will arrive in Melbourne best prepared are the Mercedes powered teams that have put the miles in during testing, including an entire day of low fuel performance runs during the last couple of days. They clearly don't consider their performance testing a waste of time.

Last edited:
If you've completed your test plan and have an opportunity why wouldn't you do quali sims??? Seems a no brainer to me.
In fact it seems a no brainer that given you know your car has to put in a quali lap or three every race meet, that you want to know your masterpiece can handle the stress.
The last 20mins of fp3 are usually quali lap tests are they not?

Hamberg - that's not strictly true- in fp3 , usually the cars aren't going as fast as in q3- often the fastest lap is in q3...

I don't think anyone's denying that the teams are likely to turn their engines up to full bananas... But there's no guarantee that they'll have emptied out the fuel (after all, if you put in extra weight, surely you'll be genuinely testing whether the car has high enough tolerances for fast laps- as a heavier car will put extra stress on everything!)

Just because something may seem obvious, doesn't mean that it's necessarily what has happened!

This entire discussion started when Kewee stated that Williams was the only team that did qualifying type runs (and then also added in Williams). Now he's stating as a fact that everyone has done them; what is distasteful is this claim of "infinite knowledge". - I'm happy to admit I have infinite ignorance- I don't have any direct access to any of the teams, i don't have any special data, but I can ask questions of how you might collect data to give a proper modelling base!

Finally,even if a team states that they've thrown the full beans at a lap in testing doesn't mean they actually have; disinformation can be very useful!!!

Exactly Hamberg though quite a few on here disagree with me. Glad you agree. :friends: The statement you'll read above from The Artist..... regarding what I've supposedly said is wrong.
I have stated that all the teams have thrown everything at these tests but the only two I've quoted as doing qualifying runs are Williams and Mercedes. Williams specifically stated themselves they were doing low fuel performance laps and Mercedes started trading laps with them.
Despite Williams stating they were doing low fuel qualifying runs The Artist..... insists that I'm making this up, suggesting I think I have infinite knowledge. I have no idea why. All I've done on this topic is quote the in house comments from Williams, published for all to see.

Last edited:
The Artist..... There's nothing in the three examples you've posted where I've said all the teams were on qualifying laps. only Williams and Mercedes. Both were on low fuel runs. I have no idea what fuel levels any of the other teams are on so although they may well have been throwing everything at their testing that doesn't mean they were on qualifying runs and I never suggested they were.

Read my postings more carefully and don't add meaning that's not there.

Last edited by a moderator:
given the unknown variables with the rule shake up why not do a banzai run?

Also I should allude to ferrari in their Schumacher days were so dominant because of the amount of time they could testing on their own track and anywhere else available with Schumacher, Barrichello , Massa and Badoer usually

the driver's feedback counted a lot .. their problems the last few years have only been magnified because their wind tunnel results were only 50% correlation and out of date because of the lack of testing time and only now have they had a chance to use a more updated windtunnel - the one used formerly by Toyota to resurrect this issue

You can allude to that being the reason Ferrari were so dominant but I'll alude to the fact that every bugger else could test as much as they like too so what you are actually saying is Ferrari and Schumacher were BETTER at it than every one else.

So basically what your saying is Schumacher and Ferrari were dominant because they were the best. Which was pretty obvious to all concerned really.

I don't think people understand what I mean when I say balls out qualifying (Except for The Artist..... ) I mean leaving nothing on the table, I mean engine turned up to the max, fuel cells running on fumes, I mean optimized one lap performance set up, brand spanking new rubber with zero laps on them (Would they even have any brand new tyres left come the end of testing? And supersofts are not necessarily the fastest in certain conditions.) and ERS fully charged and at full output and if every team has done that then come Melbourne and Williams and Merc are 3 seconds ahead of their nearest rival and seven or eight seconds ahead of some of the others at the end of qualifying then I can tell you that I am going to be one flatulently pissed off puppy, I will most probably switch off the telly go to bed and not bother waking up until next season...

Last edited:
Mephistopheles
Based on some of the rumours that have been going around, even Mercedes were keeping their powder dry- now if that's true, we would be in for a dull season- in terms of the quality of racing that is!

So, what do we know? Williams and Mercedes can go to within a second of the pace of the 2013 cars, under certain conditions. Red Bulls really do give you wings... Seem intent on setting fire every time they run. Caterham and Marussia are still slow.

Force India may be very fast, but may have shot their load. Sauber don't seem to have shown much form yet.

Will it be Merc vs Williams at Melbourne? JB thinks so. Could McLaren get their update package to work? Could they repeat their trick when they had the octo-exhaust in 2011(12?).

Less than 7 days to go!

If it is Merc v Williams then the season is Mercs to loose as they have the better driver line up in which case congrat's to Lewis on his 2014 and second WDC, g'da' g'da' g' that's all folks....

Last edited:
I dunno, we've glimpses of the old Massa and I think Bottas is very promising indeed. Give a driver a competitive car, who knows what could happen.

I still think Williams are flattering to deceive, truth be told, but only because it is one of their trademarks I could be wrong, that is not to say I believe that they did an out and out qualifying lap but I reckon they came closest to it..

Last edited:
I dunno, we've glimpses of the old Massa and I think Bottas is very promising indeed. Give a driver a competitive car, who knows what could happen.
2008 all over again? Really, do you enjoy a crying Felipe? #Schadenfreude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom