Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

While some expect the Italian team to confirm Kimi Raikkonen for 2019, Finland’s Turun Sanomat says “reliable sources” report that is not the case.
Surprise...
TS is a serious paper, thus this might be bigger than assumed. I've taken for granted than Kimi has signed papers already.

Last edited:
Perez has matured since 2013, which was only his 3rd year in F1, therefore I don’t see why he wouldn’t deserve another chance at McLaren plus he’s going to be only 29 next year.

While some expect the Italian team to confirm Kimi Raikkonen for 2019, Finland’s Turun Sanomat says “reliable sources” report that is not the case.
Surprise...
TS is a serious paper, thus this might be bigger than assumed. I've taken for granted than Kimi has signed papers already.

Well more for me i know ferrari are most risk averse team in paddock but maybe they are thinking along the lines of verstappen joining red bull & how Riccardio admitted Kyvat > Verstappen pushed him to find another level.

Vettel is comfortable with Raikkonen. If Leclerc comes in, worries vettel he could find more speed which will only benefit ferrari in drivers and constructors championship

And if Vettel doesn't find speed (from some competition) then Ferrari can justify ditching him.

Never have understood teams acting on driver's opinions: they're selfish. They only want someone who makes them look good.

Well more for me i know ferrari are most risk averse team in paddock but maybe they are thinking along the lines of verstappen joining red bull & how Riccardio admitted Kyvat > Verstappen pushed him to find another level.

Vettel is comfortable with Raikkonen. If Leclerc comes in, worries vettel he could find more speed which will only benefit ferrari in drivers and constructors championship
True, however someone who is "pushing" Vettel more than anyone at the moment is Hamilton and desire to lift Ferrari to glory. Competition between top teams is the reason why I am watching F1 style racing. Some phony "fight" between teammates proves nothing to me, and no WDC is ever awarded based on internal rivalry. MB and Ferrari are about on the par with respect to equipment, and no amount of whining from Hamilton's car changes history of travesty perpetrated in past several years on regulatory side in protecting MB from competition. True fight came to light this year. Life is good.

Last edited:
Revised scenario (at the start of this weekend):

Confirmed:
1. Mercedes (Hamilton, Bottas)
2. Vettel at Ferrari
3. Red Bull (Verstappen, Sainz)
4. Renault (Hulkenberg, Ricciardo)
5. Sainz to McLaren

Pretty certain:
1. Kimi stays at Ferrari
2. Force India (Perez, Stroll)
3. Ericson at Sauber
4. Sirotkin stays at Williams

Available seats:
1. One McLaren seat: Ocon? Norris? Vandoorne?
2. Haas #1 seat: Ocon?, Leclerc? or Grosjean?
3. Haas #2 seat: Magnussen? (option for 2019, has not been exercised yet)
4. Williams #1 seat: Another paying Russian driver?, Kubica?, Ocon?
5. Sauber #1 seat: Giovinazzi or Leclerc
6. Toro Rosso #1: Hartley or someone in the Red Bull system?, Kvyat?
7. Toro Rosso #2: Ticktum?

Adrift:
1. Ocon
2. Grosjean?
3. Vandoorne?

I gather Leclerc is going to have a seat at either Sauber or Haas, so is in no danger. That leaves only the one McLaren seat and one or two Haas seats for Ocon, Grosjean, Vandoorne, Norris and Magnussen. Almost certainly Vandoorne is out. I gather the other Williams seat needs to come with at least $8 million or more. As it is a Mercedes team, it could be a place to store Ocon for a season.

Anyhow, Haas is in a pretty good situation as I gather they may be able to choose between Ocon, Leclerc, Grosjean and Magnussen.

Revised scenario (at the start of this weekend):

Confirmed:
1. Mercedes (Hamilton, Bottas)
2. Vettel at Ferrari
3. Red Bull (Verstappen, Sainz)
4. Renault (Hulkenberg, Ricciardo)
5. Sainz to McLaren

what is Sainz situation? Is he going to Red Bull or McLaren?

Ruslan You meant Gasly with Verstappen at Red Bull, not Sainz, you put him in twice ;)

I did also read Toro Rosso might be inviting Kvyat back to drive for them. I was like :o

Last edited:
Sauber will retain both current drivers, if Kimi gets a drive with Ferrari next year. Leclerc is going nowhere in that case.

Haas sounds like they aren't hurry to change their line up as well.

Ocon is in trouble not of his making.

I've been saying it for a while but Leclerc/Magnusen at Haas and Giovanzzi/Ericsson at Sauber. People forget that Leclerc has been testing and working with Haas since 2016 and is well liked at the team.

Ferrari if they give Kimi a contract then the least they want is to win the constructors in 2019 and then the drivers championship by 2020 otherwise Vettel could well be fired as well

Haas - Steiner has said they are not pressured to field a Ferrari backed driver. Interestingly Haas have kept bad boy Ferrucci after all his misdemeanours at Silverstone - me thinks sponsorship pressure to attract a US audience has something to do with it

Haas is getting a lot of queries about their two seats seeing it is the best of the rest with Renault and benefitting no doubt from Ferrari assistance

Perez at Mclaren makes no sense at all apart from the fact that he will bring in sponsors which Mclaren are lacking

At least with Vandoorne, Sainz and Norris they are looking to make a world champion out of those guys

RasputinLives No Ferrari No 1 driver has lasted that long without delivering the drivers title and Vettel might be tempted by Mercedes should Hamilton retire

So when all the excuses and scape goats run out then they finally realise its the drivers that need to change

These are all true facts. But that is two years away. If Lewis Hamilton doesn't win another title by 2020 then be might get sacked. If Max Verstappen doesn't win a title by 2020 he might be sacked. If I don't win a title by 2020 I might be sacked.

You've being suggesting Vettel has been on the verge of being 'fired' all season, and the season before that, and the season before that. As he has led Ferrari to the best position it's been in for over a decade I'm not really sure why his employment is currently under question.

Back
Top Bottom