Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

They don't call it silly season for no reason FB. I do think it's worse this year than it has been for a while. The midfield teams are all pretty close to one another, that must make it harder to know who to sign with. The top seats seems to be signed up, so now it's a scramble for what is left. Too mant drivers for too few seats as per usual.

A few days ago it was just Verstappen and Vettel who were signed for next year. As of today Hamilton was added and (probably Bottas). 16 or 17 drivers have no job - formalities or not - secured yet next year.

I have seen reports suggesting that Force India will file for some sort of Chapter 11 protection, I presume England's Company Voluntary Arrangement, before the next even in Hungary. This might lead the way in the purchase of the team by Stroll snr.

Considering that Williams will lose (i) their main sponsor, (ii) their main source of funding and (iii) most of the TV money (due to the fact that they are dead last in the constructors' standings) I wonder how long Williams can survive, they don't seem to have massive buffer in financial terms

How is Liberty going to make sure that there are 10 teams next season? and how competitive can Force India and Williams be if they have no money?

I've read that MB will turn Williams into their B-team. I am not sure how that would go down with everyone. My unsolicited advise to Torger Wolff regarding such move - don't do that.

Sauber is curtailing development of their car, and resources are presumably redirected towards next year model.

The opener needs to be updated, Hamilton and Bottas signed their new contracts last weekend. Verstappen and Ricciardo aren't going anywhere either.

FB Well you then get another Mercedes driver - Russell into the car plus Ocon needs to develop moving forward if he is to be considered for 2020

Sauber will overtake Haas and become a fully Ferrari B team as it once was and I doubt Werhlein will get a seat there

Renault is a competitor but has a commercial partnership with Mercedes so might be on friendlier terms now that Red Bull have severed ties with Renault so Sainz' position is weaker than anticipated

No, not something silly for 2019, something ****ing stupid. This the revised front wing design for next year tested in Hungary by Williams.

38072004_2124280161173611_1550935337948151808_n.jpg

I swear the cars will eventually one day just be a giant wing with the driver strapped to it in a suit designed for the right airflow.

So it was pointed out by in F2 commentary that McLaren have appointed Torro Rosso's James Key to their staff but are at deadlock with then regarding a release date (he's technically contracted until 2020). There is a suggestion that the key to release is a swap or loan deal for Lando Norris.

I think Norris is ready. He had an awesome weekend just gone and people forget he is driving for Carlin who have not been a front running team in GP2. It's his first year in Pirelli tyres as well. I still think he'll beat George Russell to the title.

Not heard that Torro Rosso are interested in Vandorne anymore. Heard him linked with Sauber. I think Vandorne is an amazing driver but I think his purple patch was in his mid 20s and he waited far to long in the wings at McLaren. F1, like comedy, is about timing and Stoffels has been bad. Not many recover from being Alonso's team mate but maybe if he stays at McLaren and beats Carlos Sainz he might drag his career back.

Back
Top Bottom