Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

Oh ouch, that could be painful for Sainz. He's a pretty decent driver and he could end up finding himself without a decent seat or even one at all in this particular game of musical chairs.

I have seen an article claiming that the Strolls are looking into buying a stake in Force India and that Force India might become a Mercedes B team. I think that the good people at Force India don't deserve such travesty, they seem like nice people, hard working, the fact that such a team might have to look at people like the Strolls to go racing shows that F1 in this shape and form isn't a viable business and that there is something seriously flawed in its business model.

On the other hand this might be a new start for Williams, if only they could get rid of Claire (and possibly delist the company, but this is wishful thinking, having gone public has sealed their fate)

Last edited:
Publius Cornelius Scipio So you agree with the assessment that Claire Williams is the problem at Williams according to JV then?

:o:disappointed::facepalm::censored: if the Strolls buy into Force India to earn his seat. I can definitely see Force India become a Merc B team / junior team so that they can field two young drivers so basically mirror Red Bull/ Toro Rosso and Ferrari/ Sauber

I just hope Russell or Ocon absolutely wipes the floor off Stroll then

So you agree with the assessment that Claire Williams is the problem at Williams according to JV then?

Things have gone downhill since she got in charge it seems to me. Whether that is all down to her I don't know, but it seems likely. Clearly the Stroll family believe there are serious problems there, hence they're taking their money and moving on to another team who needs it.

I think if a new set of regulations come in again Williams will be back nearer the front but as more development goes in they keep falling behind . This has been the trend back in 2009, 2012 and 2014. Somehow this time they have got all so wrong and zoomed right to the back all under Claire's stewardship or is it Paddy's engineering lead?

I just Hope when things settle down that Lando Norris is sitting in an F1 seat for next season. If Mclaren screw him over and keep him in F2 next year after so many approaches by other teams I will be fizzing.

As for current F2 championship leader George Russell, not even a peep about F1 next year. Odd. Too many drivers not enough seats.

Last edited:
George Russell will be either driving for Force India or Williams pending Lance Stroll's situation, Ocon I think will move to Renault or stay at Force India which means Perez is probably going to Haas because I think he needs to move because he has missed the boat in getting a Ferrari drive

If Stroll takes his money to Force India, he could still partner Russell or Russell goes to Williams

Norris will only get into F1 at the expense of Vandoorne because it is clear Mclaren want one experienced driver at least in their line up so his teammate is either Alonso or Sainz potentially who could be pushed out of Renault because they want a French driver or possibly Alonso

I would be aghast if Latifi gets a seat at Force India or Mclaren next season as he is getting soundly thrashed by Albon in F2 who should get an opportunity in F1

Bottas signed so Mercedes sorted for 2019
Valtteri Bottas now signed up to Mercedes for F1 2019

So that leaves Ricciardo to confirm his position

Last edited:
depending on your views Claire Williams was the one that said that her drivers which is the weakest line up are there because of "talent". They are losing their title sponsor Martini as well

They made a decision to recall Massa out of retirement and then retire him the next season. Now the Strolls are ready to take their money and seek their fortunes with Force India so the rumour mill is going because they are unsure of Williams future direction

So the buck has to stop with someone because it is happening when she is in charge of the team

Il_leone I don't think that Claire Williams is the root of Williams' problems, that IMHO is the fact that they went public just to make some money, the problem is that Claire doesn't seem to have what it takes to either turn the situation around or at least make some reasonable contingency plan, she's there only because her father says so not because she's got any talent in running a complex organisation. I am stunned that she hasn't resigned yet

Interesting to note that Hamilton contract is through 2020. I gather that is going to be a case for a lot of drivers. With new engine regulations coming n 2021 along with who knows what other regulations, and the budget cap coming in 2021....then I think a lot of drivers are taking a wait and see attitude. Maybe we should already start a 2021 silly season thread.

Only Renault have signed to be in F1 beyond 2021... its all about bargain posturing but I just don;t see how either Mercedes or Ferrari seriously leaving F1 given their positions and status

Publius Cornelius Scipio Apparently picked because Frank did not believe either of his sons were ruthlessly enough to make the big decisions

She won;t resign given the interview she gave at Silverstone two weeks ago that she would take the team to the grave with her . The only person who can decide if she is not fit is Frank .. I don;t think the shareholders can force her out because Frank has the major stake 51%. So the spotlight then turns to Paddy Lowe who led the design of the car

I am just wondering Martini the title sponsor apparently only bought in about £10m as title sponsor and demanded a driver over 25 years old whereas Stroll and Sirotkin together bring in £65m. How much did Williams not placing an experienced driver at least sway Martini to leave F1 again

Paddy Lowe is saying he wants Stroll to stay - now is that because of the money or because he has genuine talent which the team can build the future around?

A wacky idea someone suggested on BBC during practice is get Grosjean to replace Stroll which to be fair is not something you would not rule out with Williams

If Williams become a Mercedes B Team as Lawrence Stroll suggests that would be an absolute insult to a great team

Force India claim they have an option on Ocon and not Renault and state that Ocon wants to stay with Force India and they are happy with their line up... well that is because the car is not as good because money is tight and they are not running into each other

So Perez might stay as well .. either driver are not really advancing their careers staying for Force India if they do stay

Sainz is only a safety net for red bull why he was at 4 yrs at toro rosso. In case verstappen or Riccardio leave or is poached. Because of closed shop. He wont beat them on talent because they are 2 of best drivers in f1 on their days as unbeatable as Hamilton or vettel can be.

But this bottleneck its a product of 2 tier f1 system. Because no longer like 10-15yrs ago down 4th/5th team could win a race if everything aligned with likes of ferrari mclaren renault bmw sauber & Williams or even earlier jordan & Stewart. Now if everything aligned might be a podium. So with only 4 Maybe 5 with haas competitive top 10 teams. 3 spots & yet we have 6 drivers

Il_leone the sherolders don't have to force Claire out, the can just sell (some of) their shares and she'd be out in minutes, the only popint is that she would have 2 choices: either she decides to take it on the chin and go home or she tries and reist and when she goes out it's to take the books to court because they have to file for bankruptcy.

I took a look at the price and volumes of trading in Williams, they don't look set to be the next Facebook :facepalm:

I think that what sums up the level at which Williams has fallen is the fact that they couldn't be bothered to sort out the seat for Sirotkin (and Kubica), they have a driver who after half an hour is in pain and can barely drive :o give him a chance to earn some points, Williams needs points, Sirotkin doesn't seem to be the next Lewis Hamilton but in qualy he's often ahead of Stroll (which is not much, I know), if he can't drive because his seat isn't right for him he will never be able to achieve anything during a race

Ive said before that i thought that 2014 2015 papered over quite a few cracks. With a dominant engine & chassis was never improved until the engine was parity

According to brundle. He's heard ocon is nailed at renault because hulkenburg is beating sainz comfortably but would be strange to dump him after a season considering the huge effort to sign him over 2 years efforts in 2016. Then releasing contract early in 2017

The noises about Ocon is that the deal between him and Renault is almost done
Advantage Vettel, Ocon on the move & Ferrari changes - all you need to know before German GP

Sainz as I have said is in Verstappen's shadow - unfairly you feel and he is going to be turfed out of Renault because Red Bull own his contract and might end up at Mclaren possibly with Alonso which might not be a bad thing if the car improves otherwise he is in danger of damaging his reputation

I still think he needs to decide to severe ties with Red Bull possibly for his future at some point down the line

Publius Cornelius Scipio I think Sirotkin if he has a decent car underneath him would do much better than Stroll. His most impressive quali was Monaco when he got it into Q2 being 0.5 seconds of a lap quicker than Stroll and he did it again today at Hockenheim. I would say at least he is doing he has gone through all the junior categories to get into F1.

Stroll who appears to be off to Force India despite what Paddy Lowe says the team are not keen to fight to keep him and about time they come to their senses,, firstly he has not bought anything to the team other than be a spoilt rich kid and taking them down the wrong end of the pitlane and its another team's problem having to listen to Lawrence Stroll telling them how they should run their team

I should add Marchionne has been replaced at the top at Ferrari due to ill health which might mean Leclerc may not get promoted and we will get another season of Vettel/ Raikkonen ... again Ferrari disappoint.. the only way I can see this partnership surviving is if Vettel is leading the championship comfortably to have that bargaining power

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom