The 2013 Season

Actually it was more Hamilton's use of the KERS and his assessment of when Vettel would come upon the HRT, so the DRS was really less of a factor although it did make finalising the pass easier to do.

teabagyokel I tend to agree with you generally about 2013 v 2006, but Alonso v Schumacher at Imola (part 2) was a bit of a classic. Pity it ended up being the last GP at Imola. Not quite as thrilling as part 1 in 2005 maybe, but some great racing nevertheless which showed that overtaking per se is not necessarily everything.

The issue I have is one of expectation.

In the days pre-DRS, one driver following another would not be expected to pass. If he did, woo hoo!!

Now, mostly, there is almost an inevitability about one driver coming up behind another that he will get past.

All I ask, is that the expectation is lessened. Last years race in Austin was one such race, the overtake followed a period where it looked like Vettel would be able to keep Hamilton at bay, then it turned out he couldn't. The expectations were not executed, and the race was the better for it.

I believe that this is what people really want, it is not about overtaking, simply that it is not largely inevitable that the overtake will or will not happen. As such, there are some races where DRS has been a revelation, and allowed for exciting racing, notably where the DRS zone allowed the following driver to close (Bahrain) and some where it has been less of a success, and any driver closing in the DRS zone would be expected to pass, which dampened down the spectacle.

So, I think that DRS is not a bad thing, however, some of the application of the DRS zones this season has been poor.

The FIA are sending observers.

The teams are prohibited from testing new parts when race drivers are in the cars.

The same can't be said for Mercedes' test.
Don't know why they're sending observers, they should just log on to CTA. There are always at least twenty or so of us online here at any given time to help them out. ROFL

Today was the first reasonably hot race where racing was possible since Barcelona. What it showed was that Mercedes still have severe problems in the heat and that Red Bull are not as quick in the heat. Lotus handle it well, Ferrari nearly as well.

The next few races are Hungary where it is usually either pouring with rain or boiling hot, Spa where the weather depends on which part of the circuit you are, Monza where once a decade it is wet, otherwise it tends to be sweltering then Singapore, hot and humid. If Red Bull are any less quick due to the heat at these they could end up being the third highest points scorers in four races and having a real fight on their hands. Or is this being too hopeful?

Edit: whoops, I meant to put this in the2013 season thread, but due to an excess of mixtures of alcohol the target got missed. Could it be moved, pretty please.

Defensive driving is a skill, just like impending lockup braking and provoking a controlled oversteer. DRS largely deprives the fans of the opportunity to see this skill displayed. If Raikkonen had had a couple more laps at the 'Ring to close on Vettel, it would have been a tragic loss, because the Loti with DRS activated were enough faster than the RB9s to suck the Red Bull stickers off them. So Kimi would have been de-motivated to do anything as risky as fighting for position, when all he needed do was wait for the DRS activation zone and "push to pass."

...I agree with Jenson Button's 'after you sir' comment. It would be a lot cheaper to ditch all the expense of DRS and just wave a blue flag at any driver with someone behind them going a bit faster, lapped or not....
My idea was to equip the cars with front/rear proximity sensors. Whenever a car is in trail by, say, 20 feet or less, one of the sparking plugs in the leading car is deactivated for 10 seconds, and the trailing car's deactivator gets deactivated for 30 seconds. And all deactivators are deactivated for the first two laps of the race.

I am neither for nor against DRS. It's a technology, that on the surface, is actually pretty cool. Jim Hall put it on his Chapparral 2C and manufacturors are taking that same idea to a few of their road cars with spoilers that pop up when they hit 70mph, etc.

It's pretty cool stuff and it could be pretty cool in F1 with a few tweaks. Instead of throwing the DRS activation zones on the longest straight and gifting many "overtakes", put them on the short shoots that lead up to those long straights. Example: Montreal. DRS zone prior to the hairpin, not after. Just an idea.

Bill Boddy - I think it's wishful thinking, I'm afraid. The problem we have this year is that whatever the weather, Red Bull are there or thereabouts. If it's hot, Mercedes disappear, if it's cold Lotus and Ferrari can't keep up. That means that the points keep just getting racked up by car #1.

And when he can win races like Nurburgring ahead of two clearly faster Lotus machines, then everyone else looks in serious trouble.

I think teabagyokel sums it up nicely. Red Bull are being challenged by different teams at different races but no one team or driver is mounting a consistent challenge which play very nicely into Red Bull and Vettel's hands for title No.4. Not Red Bull's fault if the other teams can't get their shit together though is it?

sushifiesta - Whether or not Vettel wins a hot race seems to depend on if he finds himself at Turn Two with cars between himself and Alonso or Raikkonen. When he hasn't had Mercedes or Webber or Force India giving him breathing space, he hasn't had the pace. I don't think he'd beat a Lotus or Ferrari if they were in a fair fight, but credit to Red Bull, they scarcely require one.

I think teabagyokel sums it up nicely. Red Bull are being challenged by different teams at different races but no one team or driver is mounting a consistent challenge which play very nicely into Red Bull and Vettel's hands for title No.4. Not Red Bull's fault if the other teams can't get their shit together though is it?
Which is to say, the key to Red Bull's success is its superior consistency.

A bit like 2010 really, but this time Vettel isn't being plagued by as many mechanical problems and errors this season like he was then

MCLS - Not really, in 2010 they were clearly fastest but made so many errors that Alonso's consistency was nearly enough to nick it.

That's almost the opposite of this year.

Back
Top Bottom