Poll Should McLaren abandon 2013 development for 2014 car?

Should McLaren abandon 2013 development for 2014 car?

• Yes

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Yes but No but Yes but No but Yes but No but Yes but No but

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Who cares

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
I don't think Ron can get rid of Whitmarsh because his stake in the company is less than the middle eastern backers - he only has 15% share

Compare the records of Mclaren under Ron and Whitmarsh first 4 years

1980 - no wins - Project 4 led by Dennis buy Mclaren
1981 - 1 win
1982 - 3 wins
1983 - 1 win
1984 - 12 wins - Tag deal
= 17 wins

MW
2009 - 2 wins
2010 - 5 wins
2011- 6 wins
2012 - 7 wins
= 20 wins
so I am not sure it is a justifiable sacking

All teams without exception has it's ebbs and flows, McLaren is no exception to this. If I thought that RedBull were going to stay at the top forever I would stop watching F1 immediately....

if it was not for Newey at Red Bull Mclaren probably would have won a couple of drivers titles you'd think

Kamui-FastestChefInTheWorld

I think you will find the only team that has bettered Whitmarsh's record since 2009 is Horner - Red Bull which the credit is about 70% down to Newey , Horner is probably only 5% despite his MBE status

Ferrari have had

2009 1 win
2010 5 wins
2011 1 win
2012 3 wins

so that is 10 wins

Martin Whitmarsh has just said on Sky that Mclaren have now stopped developement on the 2013 car.

He did say some parts being developed for the 2014 car will be transferable to the 2013 car so its not the end of the updates as such, but all development work is now focused on 2014.

In other words: "Don't expect any podiums this year"...:disappointed: (should that be "podia"? :thinking:)

I did find it interesting in Ted's Silverstone Notebook, when he mentioned that the problem may be a result of aero imbalance created by the pull-rod suspension members - if the wake coming off these is disturbing the airflow around the rest of the bodywork, then it clearly is a difficult thing to fix - the entire front bodywork probably needs a rethink, or they need to revert to push-rod (neither of which can be done overnight). I believe the rules have been altered to lower the front of the chassis for next season (to eliminate the stepped-noses), so they may revert to push-rod suspension for the 2014 car anyway.

:dunno:

Road of Bones

I've always interpreted that with pull rod suspension, it's actually advantageous if you have a low nose... - my interpretation was that with the reversion to low noses, it would make teams more likely to have pull-rod suspension.... - it just shows how 2 people can read exactly the same information, and gain completely opposite conclusions!

I did some brief checking based on the Spanish GP, and even though Button was having issues at the time, he was still faster last year than he was this year, by around 6/10ths. Also, the pole time (Lewis') was a second slower than this seasons, which indicates that relatively, McLaren have lost 1.6 seconds, with last years car it would only be 1 second off the pace, notwithstanding any developments that could have been made.

Back
Top Bottom