Second United States GP - New Jersey

What's up with Bernie making all these street circuits by water! It's not necessary!

There needs to be somewhere for Flavio to park his Yacht. Red Bull can bring along their energy station too.

Don't street circuits have a smaller spectator capacity compared to permanent circuits? Less seats to fill will make it seem more popular than it actually is!

less 'general admission' seats, something tracks like Silverstone and Spa get a lot of ticket numbers from.

One race right now in USA is enough, if it's very successful why not bring in another one in a few years time? Texas race has not even taken place and yet they are planning for another race. I can see this backfiring...

I was about to say exactly the same thing. Americans are very fickle regarding sports, especially with series/sports they don't 'own' (see football/soccer). Personally I would have let Texas do all the leg work to build up interest and then have New York leverage that interest. One positive aspect of NY would be that there would be plenty of accommodation available, another is that I could persuade the wife to come with me and go shopping while I watch the GP, Austin is going to be a more challenging argument! :whistle:

By the way, if Wikipedia is to be trusted the race in Austin will be the United States Grand Prix and NJ will be the Grand Prix of America. Does that mean NJ is the continental GP and Austin the national one. And, how ironic that it is Texas where the Circuit of the Americas is, if the Grand Prix of America is in NJ!

Personally I would have let Texas do all the leg work to build up interest and then have New York leverage that interest. One positive aspect of NY would be that there would be plenty of accommodation available...

Maybe (according to your very sound logic, Mezzer) it would have been better to build up the interest using the New Jersey Circuit, and then bring in Austin to further it?

But then again - perhaps his Eccleship has a few doubts that Austin will be able to fulfil their promises, which is why the New Jersey slot seems to have been green-lit so swiftly? :whistle:

I am a little concerned over this. Another new circuit.With Sochi in 2014 the calender begins to look very crowded.
Is Bernie ensuring that he has enough races to fill the calender if any of the European circuits (Spa is reputedly struggling to make the race fee each season) drop out and I have read reports that some current venues are hoping to renegotiate their fees.

But then again - perhaps his Eccleship has a few doubts that Austin will be able to fulfil their promises

That would be my guess. One of the key differences between a custom built facility and a road circuit is that with a road circuit you can easily say ":censored: this, we're not doing it next year", whereas with a "real" circuit you need to fight for ongoing existence, so Bernie's likely hedging his bets that the readies from Austin are in the bag and anything from NY is a bonus. I really question 2 GPs, though, Americans do love their motorsport but I've never perceived them being in love with F1. I can see having 2 GPs diluting the fans to the detriment of both races.

Another (3D) image of the circuit:
AcnziGQCAAAr3v2.jpg:large

Interesting to see where the start line and the direction is (it goes clockwise). I personally felt that it would have been better anti-clockwise, but, ah well.

Actually look a few decent chances to overtake using slipstreaming, and DRS unless they put it in a crap place. Turn 12, 15 & 15 (looks like the Parabolica) and maybe turn 5. I do though think I've seen the track before on Grand Turismo 3?

I'd love for the speed bump to remain.

Glad he got the first corner wrong, it did look like he was taking us through the car park of an apartment block.

That is going to be some racing when they take the downhill section.

But the worrying this is the drag up the hill, did he say the only thing between the road and a 200ft drop was that concrete block.......just you hit someones rear tyre and go airborne it's going to be airborne........

Back
Top Bottom