Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Do you think I was doubting that Senna punched Irvine?

On the article, anybody that ever says a sport is run poorly should be referred to Jean-Marie Balestre's tenure at the helm. Pretty much the definition of a Kangaroo Court.

Well...

Looking at Twitter, it would appear that the rumour mill is showing strong indications of a Vettel move to Mercedes. Not sure how true this is, only time (or Eddie Jordan) will tell, but if it is true, this asks a number of other questsions.

Would he move if Ferrari continue current form, and he has a sniff at the WDC?
Who would he partner? would he replace or partner Lewis (juicy!)

And who would fill his shoes at Maranello? Lewis? Fernando? Daniel?

Looks like this silly season could be quite silly indeed!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fernando leave F1 after he gets bored / dropped by McLaren.
He's burnt his briidges at Ferrari (and probably Renault); I doubt Mercedes or Red Bull want the hassle he brings.
There are too many credible and much younger alternatives out there.

I can see Hammy swapping places with Vettel, especially if Vettel is in the hot-seat for the WDC by the time he has to sign. I think Hammy would love to win a WDC with a third constructor, and Vettel the same.

And two huge salaries would be a bit unwelcome for any team, however rich.

Hamilton won't go to Ferrari ever.

All these Vettel rumours are designed to destabilise Ferrari now they are winning. Seb went to Ferrari knowing it was a long term project. Why would he leave now they've come good.

Lauda did not deny that Vettel would be one driver they consider next year but Hamilton will not go to Ferrari because his lifestyle and persona just does not fit in with Ferrari's politics

The only reason he would be good for Ferrari is if they want to use him to promote the brand in the US where he is very much loved.

Should Vettel join , Hamilton will either stay or consider retirement. Hamilton burnt his bridges with Mclaren and the only thing to tempt him back would be if Mclaren - HOnda were suddenly really competitive so he could emulate Senna

Its funny how things are turning out for Vettel because the season it turned out last year it did look as though he might not have options after this year

Now the silly season has started he is somewhat trumped the whole paddock in playing poker with which team he will drive for next season. By the way this is the first season Mercedes have not got a German driver and they did not have the opportunity to promote that the current world champion is German and driving their car given Rosberg's shock retirement

The boy didn't do too bad considering. It's a shame the incident happened as we could have actually seen a battle for the lead in Canada.

So Don't shoot me down but I've taken another look at the incident in Azerbaijan and I Don't think Vettel deliberately took a swipe at Hamilton.

If you look at the steering there is no quick turn to the right you would expect if he was meaning to take a swipe. I think he is just so angry and busy waving his arms around that he doesn't correct his steering quick enough. I think he nudged it to the right when he lifted his arms out the car. If you look he seems shocked by the impact and grabs the wheel again.

He shouldn't have been alongside him in the first place, he should control his temper and there is no place really (even if it's funny) in F1 for that sort of thing but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on intending to hit Hamilton.

Back
Top Bottom