Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

he is not performing

Actually I think that he is performing, certainly in the last few races he's really pulled off some top notch race saving performances. I think what's exasperating him is that he is performing but the results won't come and he doesn't know what to do.

FIA wrong on two counts with Vettel, says Herbert

Johnny Herbert thanks Vettel got off lightly. I wonder if it was Max Verstappen or Lewis Hamilton whether they would have been dealt with more severely

Vettel rage due to Ferrari frustration, say rivals

Both Ricciardo and Alonso suggests that Vettel's rant was out of frustration because of the situation at Ferrari

I missed the bit where Vettel called Alonso an idiot in practice. Any reason why?

His former team boss was not complimentary of his behaviour either

Formula 1: Sebastian Vettel outburst should prompt sanction - Horner

I saw the SKy F1 review on Wednesday and it was suggested that this could be the start of the decline his relationship with Ferrari

and Red Bull have closed the door on him on returning even if either Verstappen or Ricciardo were to go to Ferrari ... they simply will promote Sainz you'd think

Last edited:
Fernando Alonso names Daniel Ricciardo as best current driver

Don't know if this is the full article but Alonso praises Ricciardo as the best driver and cites his comparison to Vettel where he dominated him in 2014 as the reason

Lol. I love that Alonso is still doing this. The game of naming a driver who Isn't in the title race as main rival/best driver in order to annoy the drivers who are is classic Fernando.

I think I do too but I Don't believe Fernando said it without an air of mischief.

Remember when Kimi was his team mate and he went to great pains to tell the media how Massa was the quickest team mate he ever had? or when the title was down to him and Seb and he said Lewis Hamilton was his main competitor in F1? Or when it was a 5 way title in 2010 and he said Schumacher was the quickest in F1? He's a cheeky boy. it amuses me though (and him I think).

Hard to disagree, as much as I'd like to. Ric is certainly very shiny.

That Ferrari better be useful next year grumble grumble...

I must confess that I am amazed at the uproar that Vettel's childish outburst has caused. I remember Senna punched Irvine and didn't have anything like the current reaction. I just think it is yet another indicator of how thin-skinned and PC people have become in the last 20 years.

Il_leone

According to Verstappen, Hamilton is getting away with things that HE can't!

It is all a matter of perception.

I also suspect that Horner's reaction might have been rather different of Seb were still driving for him!

Last edited:
I must confess that I am amazed at the uproar that Vettel's childish outburst has caused. I remember Senna punched Irvine and didn't have anything like the current reaction.
--------------------------

There was no internet back then... :) And no on-air pit-radio communications either. Can you imagine how blue the air would have turned if we'd had live radio feeds during the Senna/Prost wars?!! :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom