Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Vettel is at the right place at Ferrari, although Ferrari is often... welll.... Ferrari. Must be frustrating at times.

And although I like Kimi a lot, it sure is time for some new blood next to Vettel.

I'd like to give him driver of the day. If he'd completed that lap he was on he would have been 17th. All this with broken rear suspension and a front wheel off the ground for most of the lap. It won't get him any points but blimey that's skillful.

The odd thing was that the team seemed to want him to stay out there. Do they have no respect for what their drivers report back to them?

I guess the engineers could see precisely what was wrong with the car, and knew that there was noway they would be able to get it back on track on time if he came in. Their only hope would be for Vettel to stay out and get into Q2 with a crippled car (and maybe the break would be enough time to get it going again).

That at least is the only way that decision could potentially make any sense.

Is it ridiculous to think Seb should be sat down for a race after that absurd outburst? Publicly telling the Race Director to "**** Off" twice is about insulting as it gets.

I didn't think it could get much worse for Vettel this year.

It was an outburst in the heat of the moment when he thought that he had finally got a podium for Ferrari as the stewards were not going to give Verstappen a punishment for an infringement of the rules. However, I do think that he would have been well advised to wait and see what happened, especially if the team had told him that it was to be investigated after the race. But then, the way Ferrari are going on this season it may be that the team never thought to tell him that.

Regardless of his radio outbursts, it was a brilliant drive. His defensive move against Ricciardo was in my view just within the rules / spirit / call it what you want of the sport. Only just.

He's regularly shown a disdain for others on the radio, and I agree it's entertaining. Fortunately it seems to be only when he's in the heat of the moment in the car, and not part of his 'out of the car' personality.

Is there anyone Seb hasn't berated this year? And did he really think Checo was gonna just pull over and wave him through in Mexico?

If Ferrari struggles next year Vettel may implode.

I'm starting to find Vettel's constant outbursts quite annoying really, not in the least entertaining. I know we only get to hear a selection of them but whenever Vettel goes on air these days it always seems to be about him berating someone or other.

It doesn't say much for races when radio messages are seen as the most entertaining thing about them. I'd quite happily do away with them altogether.

I think he is under more pressure than he has ever felt. The team is not performing, he is not performing, and he is losing it during races likely out of frustration and exasperation.

He needs to sort his head out pretty soon. I would expect some further action from his latest outburst, and rightly so.

It doesn't say much for races when radio messages are seen as the most entertaining thing about them. I'd quite happily do away with them altogether.

The start of a Grand Prix is more exciting than any possible multitude of radio messages - even if it turns out to be a dull GP. I see radio messages as an added bonus.

Back
Top Bottom