Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Seb needs a bigger trophy cabinet.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96751 Sebastian Vettel has added yet another accolade at the end of his remarkable 2011 campaign - by being voted as the best Formula 1 driver of the year in AUTOSPORT's exclusive team principals' top 10 rankings
In the now annual poll, Vettel emerged as a clear winner ahead of Jenson Button - with last year's winner Fernando Alonso dropping two places down to third.
The annual team principals' verdict is compiled by getting the top ten driver rankings of every boss, which are kept secret, and then converting their rankings into the F1 points' system (25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1).

Ferrari want Vettel and so to do Mercedes!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/12/ferrari-eyes-vettel-and-makes-peace-with-ecclestone/

Ferrari want to take Vettel away from Red Bull for the 2014 season to partner Alonso and then when Alonso leaves them in 2016, Vettel will continue with the team. Could be interesting this rumour and one i can see going right to the wire like the Kimi Raikkonen saga.

Also Mercedes have they heart set on Vettel replacing Schumacher for 2013, but i can't see this happening unless Merc can produce an awesome car in 2012 the Ferrari rumour looks the more likely.

Found this very interesting article on another forum translated from a finnish newspaper. Its recollections of the now ex trainer, Tommy.

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/293970.html

The F1-world doesn't know about these funny moments

Turun Sanomat 30.12.2011 11:30:22

293999_400h.jpg

Sebastian Vettel is nowadays one of the most famous sportsmen. Being the all time youngest double F1-champion almost all possible about him has been written and told.

Turun Sanomat was offered a chance to ask his trainer Tommi Pärmäkoski what fun comes to his mind about something that hasn't yet been written in the media or told on any dinners.

Four laughters.

Here are Vettel's special fun moments remembered by Pärmäkoski:

1. Singapore

– Sebastian won the GP on Sunday night and we stayed there to the next evening. We decided to go for a dinner and waited normally in the taxi-line. When we got in to a taxi the driver asked if we have been there to watch F1. Sebastian said that yeah, we were a bit involved.

– Sebastian asked if the taxi-driver has any favorite driver and he said he was a Vettel-fan. Sebastian downplayed Vettel saying that he is not any good driver, he isn't even goodlooking. The driver defended that he is good and also goodlooking, since he had seen him in the disco dancing with beautiful women.

– Sebastian said that 'that's cool' and asked the driver if he would recognise Vettel if he saw him again. The driver assured that he would recognise Vettel but Vettel wouldn't recognise him. Sebastian replied that he bets on Vettel recognising the driver but the driver laughed how on earth a WDC could even recognise him since he had never even seen him.

– We arrived to our destination, got up from the car and Sebastian shook hands with the driver and presented himself in a bimbo-way: Hi, I'm Vettel, Sebastian Vettel.

2. Germany

– Germany GP was ahead. Sebastian was driving. We were on our way to some PR-event. We were out of gas and in a hurry so we curved to a pretty busy gas station.

– Sebastian drove in the middle of the cars and drove ahead of someone else since an angry German jumped out of the car showing his big fist. The dude was screaming do you think that you are some damn Schumacher or what!

– Sebastian got out the car without losing his cool, looked the dude in the eyes and said 'sorry, I did a stupid thing because I'm in such a hurry'. That's when the dude recognised Sebastian, ran back to his car and returned with pen and paper asking for his autograph. That argument was settled by that.

3. China

– This happened in China. We came late to the hotel back from the track and wondered how three young girls still had the energy to wait for him. They jumped up and down excited when our car came to the parking lot.

– Sebastian sighed 'okay, lets give the girls autographs and take the joint photos because they had waited for so long. It was a huge surprise when the girls ran past Sebastian and attacked me. I asked why on earth they had chosen me. They replied that I have such cute blond hair. That was a moment when Sebastian couldn't do anything else than just watch with envy.

4. Austria

– We ended the season by going to a Finnish sauna in Austria. Sebastian acts like a Finn in the sauna, he threw water on the stones and shouted in Finnish 'löylyä lissää' (more steam). There was also a German couple in the sauna and they cursed and bashed us in German. They thought we were American tourists who don't know how to behave in a sauna. We understood everything they said but we didn't care. The couple left the sauna cursing us.

– When we came out from the sauna a small boy recognised Sebastian immediately and asked for his autograph. At that moment the German couple silently walked elsewhere.

Turun Sanomat

HEIKKI KULTA

One correction to the article posted by the original translator on another forum (it did seem a bit odd when I read it first time too)

"so in Singapore Vettel said 'Hi, I'm Vettel, Sebastian Vettel' in a Bond-way"

Ferrari want Vettel and so to do Mercedes!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/12/ferrari-eyes-vettel-and-makes-peace-with-ecclestone/

Ferrari want to take Vettel away from Red Bull for the 2014 season to partner Alonso and then when Alonso leaves them in 2016, Vettel will continue with the team. Could be interesting this rumour and one i can see going right to the wire like the Kimi Raikkonen saga.

Also Mercedes have they heart set on Vettel replacing Schumacher for 2013, but i can't see this happening unless Merc can produce an awesome car in 2012 the Ferrari rumour looks the more likely.

How about Di Resta and Vettel at Mercedes 2013 and settle some old scores? Not likely though with Adrian NEwey at Red Bull it will take a serious fall out for him to leave

Bernie Ecclestone is hoping this season will not be a Vettel walkover and wants to see a title fight until the last race although Seb disagrees

I have to agree with Sir Stirling's assessment of Vettel. I also find his assessement of the McLaren duo very interesting.

Having seen both Moss and Fangio race live I have the greatest respect for Sir Stirlings opinions.I can't fault his comments on any of the drivers he mentions.

Back
Top Bottom