Romain Grosjean

Was drafted into F1 with not an ounce of testing and replaced Nelson Piquet Jr in the middle of 2009 when he was possibly on route to becoming the GP2 Champion that season, which went to Nico Hulkenburg.

In his 7 races in F1 he failed to impress and the no in-season testing rule didn't help his course. Plus having Fernando Alonso as his teammate couldn't have helped either.

In 2010 Grosjean went to do Auto GP, before returning back to GP2 on July 20th for a few guess appearances for DAM'S. But in 2011 Grosjean was given a full-time drive by DAM'S for the 2011 GP2 series and went on to become the 2011 GP2 Champion.

My question is will Grosjean get a drive for 2012? Plus how far can this guy go if he gets into F1?

Am I the only one who thinks that the accident on Sunday wasn't that bad? Romain held his line and was accelerating down the inside - Webber moved across at a much slower speed and Grosjean didn't react on the brakes quick enough. Kind of think if it had been De La Rosa running into Petrov we'd have hardly heard anything about it.

Why we have Mark Webber and Niki Lauda leading the villagers to the castle with burning tourches I'm not sure.

Rasputin

I agree that this particular instance wasn't terribly egregious. However, it is the sheer volume of his miscues which bring his abilities into question.

I can understand MWs pique and subsequent slating of RG, as Mark's seat isn't necessarily secure, with Red Bull having younger drivers in the developmental pipeline.

As for Lauda--I think he just likes to hear himself talk, and likes to keep his lips in the proximity of the nearest buttocks. As I said before, he is pure politician.

It wasn't that bad... only the 9th time he has duffed into someone... at least MW was able to continue and claim a minor points finish... maybe this explains it...

http://www.autosporten.com.de/f1/news/grosjean-only-has-one-foot-and-a-glass-eye/

I think ZakspeedYakspeed that you, like the media, have again got carried away. He has been involved in 9 incidents this year which is a massive amount and I'm not saying it isn't an issue but have all 9 been his fault? nope. Has he pulled the most dangerous moves of any driver during the season? Not by a long shot. Is Mark Webber making a massive fuss over this to disguse the fact he got yet another poor start and was desperetly trying to come across to hold his line and stop himself slipping down the field? YES!

He has an issue its true and something he has admitted but since the ban in Belgium he is now an easy scapegoat for the other drivers. Give him a push (watch the start at Singapore) and he'll back off coz any incident and he'll be blamed. I think its especially rich coming from Mark Webber (again)!

Just don't think this "he's going to kill someone" witch hunt is really justified.

RasputinLives - The problem is the accumulation of accidents rather than this one. Only Monaco and Spa were particularly egregious, but he just keeps colliding with people on the first lap.

Why the torches have been out for Grosjean but not persistent offenders such as Maldonado, Senna, Schumacher and, last year, Hamilton - little bit of a witch-hunt.

I can understand MWs pique and subsequent slating of RG, as Mark's seat isn't necessarily secure, with Red Bull having younger drivers in the developmental pipeline.

Webber has his contract for next year and this is all about yet another poor start and Vettel blitzing him again. Like I said Mark was desperetly coming across to cover his line because he'd bogged down and needed to stop people getting past him. I think that 75% of the grid would probably have gone off the road, clipped Webber or braked so much they were hit from behind.

The boy had his ban and has talked about how he know he has to learn. He was bullied off the start line in Singapore and backed off to make sure he got round - if in ther incident just gone he'd moved across the grid forcing drivers off the road like he had done in Spa and Monaco I would be with everyone else and saying he hasn't learnt and further action should be taken but being involved in an incident half the grid would have come a cropper too doesn't justify the bollocking he's taken so whinging Webber and bandwagon Lauda can go eff themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Scuse language - just comes across as bullying 'the new boy' to me

Webber has his contract for next year and this is all about yet another poor start and Vettel blitzing him again. Like I said Mark was desperetly coming across to cover his line because he'd bogged down and needed to stop people getting past him. I think that 75% of the grid would probably have gone off the road, clipped Webber or braked so much they were hit from behind.

The boy had his ban and has talked about how he know he has to learn. He was bullied off the start line in Singapore and backed off to make sure he got round - if in ther incident just gone he'd moved across the grid forcing drivers off the road like he had done in Spa and Monaco I would be with everyone else and saying he hasn't learnt and further action should be taken but being involved in an incident half the grid would have come a cropper too doesn't justify the bollocking he's taken so whinging Webber and bandwagon Lauda can go eff themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Scuse language - just comes across as bullying 'the new boy' to me
:cheer:

Grosjean has had 1st lap contact in 8 of the 14 races he has contested this season. In the races where he got through lap 1 unscathed, he has scored 62 points, whilst scoring just 20 in those 8 races. Renault must simply look at the numbers and realise that this driver is wasting his own talent and wasting the pace of the car.

As for this being a 'witch hunt' or 'bullying', I would like to know if there is a single driver on the grid that wouldn't face similar criticism if they had accidents in more than 50% of their race starts. As Button said, 'there have been a lot of mistakes this year, things that you just wouldn't imagine happening at this level.'

Am I the only one who thinks that the accident on Sunday wasn't that bad? Romain held his line and was accelerating down the inside - Webber moved across at a much slower speed and Grosjean didn't react on the brakes quick enough. Kind of think if it had been De La Rosa running into Petrov we'd have hardly heard anything about it.

Why we have Mark Webber and Niki Lauda leading the villagers to the castle with burning tourches I'm not sure.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was Romain's first indiscretion on a Sunday afternoons race start, but it isn't and it isn't not by a long long way not least of which was Spa in which his actions could have easily resulted in the death of Alonso.

He needs to learn that the race is not won on the first lap and if he doesn't then he needs to have his super licence revoked...

It is clear the guy hasn't learned any lessons from the numerous first lap incidents he's been involved in or the subsequent ban because if he had he would not have been so preoccupied with fighting with the Sauber on the outside. Someone needs to drum it into his head that it doesn't matter how many places he loses at the start as long as he can negotiate the first corner cleanly.

RasputinLives...F1 is a big boy sport... and RoGro is proving himself to be a very fast not so smart little boy on 60% of his lap 1's this season...

Sure... MW bogged down... but it is (a) a corner, and (b) there is another car in it... so by your reckoning it was OK to pole-axe the car in the corner and blame the guy in the corner...rather than use the other pedal, go off the track, rejoin in 8th and fight out the race from there in a competitive car which could have yielded a 5th place... do you want me to tell you what Lotus team mgmt... who pay RoGro would have preferred ?

Early in MW career he was a bit like RoGro... but certainly not a 60% of first laps lets have a bingle like RoGro... MW has (over a nearly 200 GP career) figured out how to fight hard without compromising your (and the other guys) race...

RoGro is a fresh face for F1... his beaming smile and unbridled joy is there for all to see when he is in press conference for the top 3 qually...or on the podium... I hope he figures it out... I don't dislike the guy... but as MW said... you wont last very long continuing to do what he does in the sport...

I think Grosjean got off lightly as far as the penalty goes for this latest incident.

Schumacher was given a 10 place grid drop penalty for taking Vergne out at Singapore.

Perhaps they should do that to Grosjean from now on? At least that way he will be further back and won't interfere with the title contenders if he does the next time he mullers someone at the first corner.

RasputinLives - The problem is the accumulation of accidents rather than this one. Only Monaco and Spa were particularly egregious, but he just keeps colliding with people on the first lap.

Why the torches have been out for Grosjean but not persistent offenders such as Maldonado, Senna, Schumacher and, last year, Hamilton - little bit of a witch-hunt.

teabagyokel

The torches have been out for Maldonado on occasions throughout this season- and equally so with Schumacher... However, Grosjean is the current focus of fury... Earlier in the season, there were constant calls for Maldonado to be banned for life! Grosjean really hasn't taken on any lessons, and his season feels like Michael Andretti's season at McLaren!

It is clear the guy hasn't learned any lessons from the numerous first lap incidents he's been involved in or the subsequent ban because if he had he would not have been so preoccupied with fighting with the Sauber on the outside. Someone needs to drum it into his head that it doesn't matter how many places he loses at the start as long as he can negotiate the first corner cleanly.

Can you tell me where he was suppose to go with the Sauber at the side of him and Webber chopping across his front? if you look when he takes his line there was a clear path through. All I'm saying is that if this was a different driver would we have just seen this as a racing incident?

Yes I understand its repeat offending but I just don't think it warrents the 'chuck him out of grand prix racing' call from drivers and media alike. He's a very easy scapegoat and very easy to bully right now and I think its a little unfair. The guy has never tried to blame anyone else for his errors and said he was completely incient. Nor had a go at others for some very poor driving aimed at him (see singapore start, see bahrain and see Maldo incidents) so I'm not sure why he deserves such a public dressing down.

I just get the impression that Webber tirad to the press was more a way of jusitifying his own bad race once again and if he was really interested in safety it would have been much better dealt with behind closed doors but he doesn't really care about that.

Back
Top Bottom