Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

Aussie Aussie Aussie ... Oi Oi Oi

If DR gets the drive be nice to see what someone new can do in the RBR ... who knows ... they could be crap next season ...

KekeTheKing ... quite possibly ... why not follow MW lead and leverage off of the relationship he has the Mr Red Bull rather than the organ grinders monkeys who run the team ...

Any deal ... be very interested in the terms ... 1 or 2 seasons methinks max ...

KekeTheKing

Nope because Helmut has been plotting to get rid of Webber for years and he wanted Algarsuari or Buemi to step up but he did not think either were good enough so he went for the next lot Ricciardo and Vergne

I wonder if Webber will visit the Red Bull garage as often when he is not racing to sit in Ricciardo's corner against Vettel

I'd be interested to see if what happens when Vettel gets outqualified and outraced by Daniel

Then their first wheel to wheel incident and where Helmut would stand or would he just let the useless Horner deal with the :censored:

Il_leone raises a valid point. Ricciardo will certainly believe he has equal status, until he impedes Seb in a race that is. Then I'm sure things will become a bit more clear to him.

Preemptive edit - I don't think this situation will arise very often, if at all in 2014.

The engine shakeup next year will probably give Ricciardo the best opportunity he'll ever have to beat Vettel. Vettel won't have as much familiarity with the car as he does currently and the driving style required by the new engines is likely to be quite different. A bit of bad luck for Vettel in the first few races leading to a victory or two for Ricciardo could make things interesting.

On the whole though, Red Bull is very much Vettel's team now and I'll be surprised if Ricciardo does much better than Webber has in the last three seasons.

Is the driving style so different with a turbo as it was with the blown diffuser? The drivers used to keep the power on in the turbo days, blipping the throttle like a motorcycle racer as they went through the gears to keep the turbo spinning. Isn't that the same sort of system as they had with the blown diffuser, although a lot of the throttle control was taken over by the electronics.

I thing the situation Ricciardo faces is similar to that which Perez faced when joining McLaren. The big difference is that there was a much higher expectation on Perez's shoulders given some of his performances behind the wheel of the Sauber. In this respect Ricciardo doesn't have as much weight on his shoulders. The biggest pressure on Ricciardo will come from the expectation of driving a successful car.

If next years RBR is a race winner then I don't expect Ricciardo to be on the top step with it but as I said above, I don't think anyone is expecting him to perform as a race winner in his first season with the team.

The extra worry Danny boy has is the Torro Rosso will be running renault engines next year and could be of a similar design and therefore not far off the Red Bull. It might be a bit embarrasing to get beat by JEV or Felix Da Costa in the B team!

RasputinLives Go and interview Helmut then

Danny boy needs to slim down first to squeeze into the car

Last time Red Bull got a beating from STR was because they borrowed Newey's chassis and had more powerful engines and probably similar funding

Back
Top Bottom