Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Id say Rosbergs the faster qualifier, Schumachers the faster racer.

...Schumachers looked more likely getting one than Rosberg, he was hanging on at Monza and don’t forget Canada.. You were there!

I haven't forgotten Canada...I was watching him circulating behind Vettel, Kobayashi and Massa and then running 2nd before being DRSd.

I don't know how anyone can say Rosberg's the slower "racer". The Mercedes is only so fast and is unlikely to beat RBRs, McLarens and Ferraris in a normal, dry race when the other 6 drivers don't make mistakes.

So, if Rosberg out-qualifies one or two of those 6 drivers, he can only do so much in a full race.

Clear how? Both have similar driving styles...Mercedes don't compromise one driver over another...

They don't exactly have the same style, though. No two drivers have.
And what I meant is that financially (in terms of contracted compensation) and emotionally I don't think any unbiased individual can say that Mercedes isn't, effectively, Schumacher's team.

[Eddie Jordan, who first broke the Shumacher-to-Mercedes story in '09 recently said that Mercedes "exists for Schumacher"]

If Mercedes are paying Schumacher much more and Schumacher has much more race-winning experience, they're obviously going to take his input into consideration when designing cars.

Just shows Schumacher doesn’t care about out qualifying Rosberg as he didn’t bother doing a run in Q3 yet he out qualified him in Q2, shows he thinks the race is more important.

Just shows Schumacher doesn’t care about out qualifying Rosberg as he didn’t bother doing a run in Q3 yet he out qualified him in Q2, shows he thinks the race is more important.

Wonderful. Q2 means as much as Q3. The gap ROS-SCH in Q3 was much bigger...

What it really shows is that Schumacher could care less about the paying spectators and probably resigned himself to the idea that he'd rather save tyres than risk getting genuinely out-qualified straight-up yet again.

This way he can he can have a reason for not being higher on the grid than Rosberg.

Most times he's plain slower in Q3...today he can hide behind "race strategy".

Anyway, we'll see tomorrow.

Forgive me, but as a parent that's like me saying to my daughter "don't go there, you're just not good enough." Sure, I would say that if that's what I genuinely thought but then I think I'd try harder to help her change her career path. It just doesn't seem the way to instil confidence. Having said that, my girl's in show biz so it's not exactly life and death if she makes a mistake.

Incidentally, driving alongside a 2 time WDC in his fledgeling F1 career hasn't done LH any harm yet, has it? But, I suppose that's a reflection of the perceived (select your preferred option: a) by some, b) by many, c) by a few) threat to Hamilton's team-mates. :thinking:

It is about patience, in my opinion. Hamilton is an outstanding talent and is an exception to this rule; Schumacher's first full season was against a 3xWDC but he was an exceptional talent too!

If Nico went up against Lewis, in the same team, in 2008, and got battered, he'd have found it difficult to get another drive.
If Nico went up against Lewis, in the same team, in 2011, and got battered, he'd have a much better chance to get a drive.

If he beat Lewis, he's hardly going to go without anyway!

Nico's up a whopping 12-1 in Qually over Schuey!

:tea:

That's more lop-sided than what Vettel has managed over Webber or what Alonso's managed over Massa.

Monza doesn't count because Nico was on the harder tyre so it wasn't like-for-like.

Nico's got Shumi so out-gunned on Saturdays that the old man didn't even bother going out in Q3 at Singapore. Schumacher knew he didn't have a chance so decided to 'save tyres'.

Shame that those tyres didn't prevent the old Champ from getting his pilot's licence early. :D

I wonder what Checo gave out for style points? ;)

Well then if Monza doesn’t count then Singapore doesn’t either because Schumacher didn’t even set a time in Q3. And didn’t he do that at another race too? Cant remember.

Your logic it totally biased. Well, prejudiced against certain drivers. You cant have it one way and not the other. :rolleyes:

Well then if Monza doesn’t count then Singapore doesn’t either because Schumacher didn’t even set a time in Q3.

Nope.

In one case (Monza) Nico put in a very good time on the Prime in relation to Schuey's Option time.

In the other case (Singapore) Michael didn't even bother going out. The reason he didn't is because he knew he wouldn't be able to out-qualify Nico straight up...so as long as the Force Indias stayed in the box, he figured he'd just settle for 8th.

That's a function of one driver (Nico) psychologically resigning the other driver (Shumi) into submission and making him feel like there's nothing he can do about him on 1 lap pace.

I'd go as far as suggesting that Nico's Prime time at Monza was a banzai lap in relation to Schumi's Option time. The difference was 7-10ths and we know that the Option was more than 7-10ths faster than the Prime when both are new.

eeerrrrr YES!

Monza doesn’t count because Rosberg knew he’d be out qualified by going on the hards but Schumacher does count because he knew he be out qualified by not posting a time? You’re bizarre!

Michael didn't even bother going out. The reason he didn't is because he knew he wouldn't be able to out-qualify Nico straight up

How the hell do you know this? Schumacher was faster than Rosberg in Q2 and in FP 1 and 2! Or did you look into his eyes?

Seriously, do you just post to wind people up?

eeerrrrr YES!

Monza doesn’t count because Rosberg knew he’d be out qualified by going on the hards but Schumacher does count because he knew he be out qualified by not posting a time? You’re bizarre!

No!

Use some logic, Vortex!

The difference is that Rosberg actually went out at Monza and qualified on the Prime so that he'd start on the Prime and have an extra set of Options.

That was a strategy choice for the race.

In the case of Singapore, Schumacher didn't bother going out. At all!

And guess which tyre they both started on? The same tyre!

You don't see the difference?

I'll point it out again:

11-1 going into Monza.

Ray, you even implied that Schumacher deserves a penalty for creating a safety car to come out...

No, I said if Lewis deserved a penalty for hurting Massa's race then Schumacher also deserved a penalty for causing a puncture to Perez (and, as a result of the accident, causing a SC proceedure to hurt Rosberg's, Alonso's and Massa's races).

The reason I brought up the SC is because you said that Hamilton's and Schumacher's shunts were different in that Schumacher's shunt didn't hurt Perez. (and I said Perez did have a puncture and Schumacher also hurt other drivers' races.)/

No!

Use some logic, Vortex!

The difference is that Rosberg actually went out at Monza and qualified on the Prime so that he'd start on the Prime and have an extra set of Options.

That was a strategy choice for the race.

In the case of Singapore, Schumacher didn't bother going out. At all!

And guess which tyre they both started on? The same tyre!

You don't see the difference?

I'll point it out again:

11-1 going into Monza.

So Schumacher started on a brand new set unlike Rosberg which is consistent with the of late split strategy Mercedes has been adopting - I can only assume to give them some kind of information for help with race strategy next year.

I’ll point it out again, YES!

How was Rosbergs a strategy for the race and Schumachers wasn’t?????????????? brand new tyres?!?!

I seriously need a face palm smiley but these will do. :givemestrength::crazy:

He is quietly aggressive, makes some god overtakes and is good at defending. What's more he's generally not prone to mistakes, first season aside I think you can count them on one hand.

Hmmm, maybe Singapore isn't his track despite being so fast over one lap! Slightly erratic race for Nico and a bit disappointing. Then again it's good to see the lad is as superhuman as the rest.

Back
Top Bottom