Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Yeah id have to Agree Hamberg. Schumacher was faster and catching him very quickly every lap but as the higher running driver he obviously had he choice whether to stop first or second of the two, he chose first and after Schumacher’s stop he ended 8 to 10 seconds ahead on both stops with the undercut then Schumacher closed the gap till the next pit stops and it happened all over again. Till the crash.

He seemed to struggle on this track this year, Schumacher was much closer than normal in both qualifying runs, if Schumacher stayed in the race I think he would have finished ahead of Rossyberg, plus he also finished behind a Force India which was a slower car.

All in all, odd race from him, got more coverage than normal but made several mistakes.

I think Rosberg's problem this year has been the car. I really think that the Mercedes car has been set up to suit Schumacher a bit more than him. Not that it should be an excuse but thats the feeling i get anyways.

I'd really hate Nico Rosberg to leave F1 without a race win, at the moment i can see that happening. Next season the reg's really haven't been changed that much and i feel that the Mercedes will still be the fourth fastest car on the grid again.

Plus i really don't think Rosberg is liking having Schumacher as a team-mate. I think Rosberg wants to be a teamleader and have a rookish teammate alongside him.

I think Rosberg's problem this year has been the car. I really think that the Mercedes car has been set up to suit Schumacher a bit more than him.

What you say is part of it.

Rosberg's main problem this year in relation to last year is that the RBRs, Ferraris and McLarens have better reliability and are finishing ahead of him most of the time.

Last year Vettel's RB6, Hamilton's MP4-25 had issues and Button's MP4-25 had a problem at Monaco. Alonso jumped the lights in China, etc.

Others problems allowed him to finish in higher spots - including podiums - and that's one reason why people think he's struggling.

The other side of the equation is Schumacher's improved and is driving a car that he actually had some input in.

I went and had a look at his stats compared to last year Ray because I thought the same as you but actually on the face of it thats not really true. His highest finish this season is 5th where as last year he had 3 podiums and a 4th but interestingly his podiums and his 4th were all scored when all the front 6 finished bar Malaysia when Alonso failed to finish with a damaged gearbox.

I think part of the reason he's not reached the heights of the podium this season is DRS. Nico has a tendancy to qualify high and start well before being chased down at the end. Last year in some races this worked well for him as he'd frustrate the faster cars by keeping them behind him this year thanks to the DRS he's not been able to do that as well. He's actually benifited from the bigger teams falling away more this year than last with both is 5th places coming from managing his tyres better than those in front of him. His most common place to finish has been 7th which makes him the best of the rest again which is all praise to him but he's certainly not having a good a year as last year. His consitancy last year was awesome this year he's had a few indifferent races. Malaysia was pretty poor as was Monoco - things didn't work out for him in Canada.

Nico as always has been awesome in qualifying but the worrying thing for him - and Merc - this season is that rather then being the one hovering behind the front 6 picking up any breadcrumbs they leave from mistakes he's actually the one being picked off himself by various Force India drivers or Toro Rosso drivers. He's finished in front of Massa 6 times this season but that doesn't seem to translate where World Championship points are concerend. With Massa's poor form and the fact he's finished no higher than 5th this year Nico really should be aiming to finish in front of him I think.

Well he had podiums in:

Malaysia - look at where the Ferraris and McLarens qualified? The bet the wrong way on rain in Q1

China - Alonso jumped the lights

Silverstone - Alonso penalty; Vettel 1st lap problem.

I still feel that consistency from the top drivers this year is greater than last year and that's why Rosberg doesn't have any podiums.

But your post, Rasputin, is a very good one. I "like" it.

Well he was on course for one in Korea until he got taken out, and all the front running cars where still on track.

But your post, Ray, is a good one. I *like* it.

Well he was on course for one in Korea until he got taken out, and all the front running cars where still on track.

But your post, Ray, is a good one. I *like* it.

Well, Korea would have been one of the races where the poor reliability of one of the 3 top cars (Vettel's RB6-Renault (which grenaded itself)) would have contributed...as would have the crash by the driver that actually wiped him out.

Let's pretend Webber didn't crash and didn't wipe him out...and Vettel's engine didn't blow...

...in that scenario do you think he could have podiumed ahead of VET-WEB-ALO-HAM?

Not sure.

Yes I think he would have, he was faster than Hamilton, faster than Webber who was quite clearly holding the pack up.

A few I remember here mentioning that he was in contention for the win, but I don't think so unless you add in Vettel's engine blow up, I think a podium was a possibility even if the top 6 where still in the race.

I'd have said no. Alonso was in good form that day and wasn;t far behind Vettel so even if Vettels engine hadn't gone my money would have been on his for second. Lewis too would have been up there. I think he'd have been 4th.

I still have serious reservations about Nico I'm afraid - I always do with drivers who reg finish lower than their quali position.

Lol

Ok ok - doesn't work on all examples. I was more looking at the likes of Jarno Trulli etc etc

Or maybe you're saying Rosberg is as good as Schumi and Senna ;)

I think Rosberg's problem this year has been the car. I really think that the Mercedes car has been set up to suit Schumacher a bit more than him. Not that it should be an excuse but thats the feeling i get anyways.

I'd really hate Nico Rosberg to leave F1 without a race win, at the moment i can see that happening. Next season the reg's really haven't been changed that much and i feel that the Mercedes will still be the fourth fastest car on the grid again.

Plus i really don't think Rosberg is liking having Schumacher as a team-mate. I think Rosberg wants to be a teamleader and have a rookish teammate alongside him.

Rosberg has made it known that no one can win in the Mercedes car but deep down he must be frustrated because he's going down the path of Button where people touted him as future world champion but he still has not won a race and has not progressed further

I get the feeling by end of next year he would feel he has wasted 3 years despite saying he wants to stay long term at Mercedes...he will keep an eye on the Mclaren situation with Lewis

Rosberg has made it known that no one can win in the Mercedes car but deep down he must be frustrated because he's going down the path of Button where people touted him as future world champion but he still has not won a race and has not progressed further

I get the feeling by end of next year he would feel he has wasted 3 years despite saying he wants to stay long term at Mercedes...he will keep an eye on the Mclaren situation with Lewis

Totally agree mate. Really hope that Nico is keeping his options open, maybe he'll have an eye on either Webber or Massa's seat for 2013? If i was Red Bull or Ferrari i would certainly be in for him if he doesn't have a contract for that year.

Totally agree mate. Really hope that Nico is keeping his options open, maybe he'll have an eye on either Webber or Massa's seat for 2013? If i was Red Bull or Ferrari i would certainly be in for him if he doesn't have a contract for that year.

Rosberg would probably prefer Red Bull given his Britney spears look than deal with the poltics of Ferrari which could finish his career

Unless of course Mercedes turn out better next year with Ross finally getting some key people on his team Bob Bell and Geoff Willis and Aldo Costa..there's a wealth of engineer experience and surely Mercedes must improve !

Thing is with Nico, he's consistently getting 95% out of that car, but unlike Kubica in 2010, you never really feel he's going above and beyond it (well, I don't, anyway).

It's extremely early to make predictions, but I'd still probably favour Perez for Ferrari and Ricciardo for Red Bull at this moment in time. Which might suit Nico fine, if Mercedes' restructuring turns out as intended.

Back
Top Bottom