Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

This is getting off topic [for the Button thread] but would Rosberg be allowed to partner Hamilton now?

I seem to recall his father vetoed it originally?

Keke advised Nico not to go up against Hamilton too early in his career. Yes.

Since then two things have happened.

1. Keke has said he won't interefere with his son anymore...that it's up to Nico to decide things now that he's more experienced;

2. More importantly, Nico is badly in need of driving a winning car. So, Nico's much better off driving a car that has the ability to win regardless of who is in the other car.

It's the Lesser Of Two Evils arguement.

Ya, he'll be "up against Lewis"...but at least he'll be able to drive a car that has the possibility of starting the race on the front row of the grid!

Right now all he can hope for is 5th, 6th, 7th in 'normal' circumstances...but that's actually worse at this stage of his career than 'going up against Lewis'.

Also, i'm sure Keke and Nico have seen the "lay of the land" with what's happening with Lewis and Jenson at McLaren. So, who's to say that now that Nico has seen the 'Chinks' In Lewis' 'Armour', that he might actually feel confident enough to think he's got half a chance?

Rosberg's been able to beat Schumacher at a team that - according to Eddie Jordan - "exists for Schumacher". It's high time he (Nico) took the plunge at a team that's fielded either the fastest or second fastest race car at the majority of the Grand Prix meetings in 2011 and, therefore, has the potential of winning the 2012 World Championship.

All this is moot, of course, if Button's staying at McLaren.

Um, Nico debuted his F1 career in 2006, entering 18 races, finishing 17th in the championship with one fastest lap and 4 points. Other than in karting (and I'm not sure about that) I'm not sure they even crossed swords in the lower series until Macau GP 2003. So, I'm wondering,why would Keke have advised Nico to avoid Hamilton? Where does that come from?

I don't think so - a driver being beaten by Hamilton in his second or third season could be a career-ending problem, whereas a driver who had established themselves in good or middle-ranking teams beforehand could probably slot back into that position afterwards. Heikki is probably worthy of a better drive than the one he's got at the moment, but I don't remember anyone knocking his motorhome door down after 2009.

As I recall Keke was more concerned about his son's career longevity, reflecting that it would be difficult for any driver to go up against Hamilton in 'his' team. History may have proved him wrong on that point...perhaps.

Um, ...Other than in karting (and I'm not sure about that) I'm not sure they even crossed swords in the lower series until Macau GP 2003.

Er, Nico drove for his father's team while Lewis was with Manor in the 2004 Formula 3 Euroseries championship. Kubica also contested that championship. I think Rosberg-Hamilton finished 3-4 or 4-5 in standings.

Keke was rating Lewis very highly as far back as that season.

I don't think so - a driver being beaten by Hamilton in his second or third season could be a career-ending problem, whereas a driver who had established themselves in good or middle-ranking teams beforehand could probably slot back into that position afterwards.
As I recall Keke was more concerned about his son's career longevity...

Yes exactly!

Nico Rosberg 's stock had risen in 2007 with some strong drives for Williams as team leader

With the opportunity at Mclaren..the problem for Nico Keke could see is that having just built his reputation after a tough debut year he could have got thrashed by Lewis who was then the" Phenomenon" and that would have ended his career just look at Heikki his former GP2 rival

In junior career Nico and Lewis drove for Keke's kart team and Lewis beat Nico in the same team..the only other time they met was Euro F3 where Hamilton was 5th and Rosberg 4th the difference being that Nico had already done 1 season more in Euro F3

There wasn't much of a choice for Nico frankly (other than staying with a waning Williams team (which really wasn't an option)).

Ferrari and RBR seats were locked out, leaving him to either partner Button at Brawn-Mercedes (the reigning title holders) who were on the cusp of becoming Mercedes GP or trying his hand at McLaren where he'd be up against Hamilton (a bad idea supposedly (at the time)).

BMW and Toyota were leaving and the choice was either Hamilton/McLaren-Mercedes or Button/Brawn-Mercedes.

The only logical choice at the time of signing was Button/Brawn-Mercedes.

Martin Brundle was the first to talk about it as far as I can remember. It's been widely spoken about since then. I certainly haven't heard anyone refuting it, but I don't think I've seen any manuscript either.

Hmmm. I just think it was all speculation. The only thing that was said for certain by Nico was his intention to leave Williams and it was also known that Heikki's contract was not being renewed. Then people including pundits put 2 and 2 together and came up with 27. But 1 year later it is of course FACT.

We also know from interviews with Rosberg that he believed he would be partnering Button this season.

The boys holding his own though - he is consistently the best of the rest but I'm itching to see him in a race winning car. He is quietly aggressive, makes some god overtakes and is good at defending. What's more he's generally not prone to mistakes, first season aside I think you can count them on one hand.

I dispute that he falls backwards on race day, his strategy together with the Merc generally not being as competitive towards the end has a lot to do with that. You can't blame the lad for getting it in the maximum position possible in quali.

Hmmm. I just think it was all speculation.

The only thing that was said for certain by Nico was his intention to leave Williams...Then people including pundits put 2 and 2 together and came up with 27...

We also know from interviews with Rosberg that he believed he would be partnering Button ...

I basically said that in post 92 above.

Hamberg, my friend, people are quotes of for looking for "certainty" when the only "certain" things in life are Death and Taxes. :)

The idea that his father advised him to not partner Lewis too early was something that was talked about but I don't have documentation.

Email Keke Rosberg if you want the real skinny on what he actually did or didn't say. ;)

Lastly, Nico is a talented as well as a reasonably good looking young German lad and the Mercedes link would be a natural one. When I say "Mercedes link" I mean not just the Constructor but the engine supplier (as in McLaren-Mercedes + Brawn-Mercedes...i.e. the two most recent title holders of the WDC at the time).

I basically said that in post 92 above.

No, you didn't

Hamberg, my friend, people are quotes of for looking for "certainty" when the only "certain" things in life are Death and Taxes. :)

The idea that his father advised him to not partner Lewis too early was something that was talked about but I don't have documentation.

Email Keke Rosberg if you want the real skinny on what he actually did or didn't say. ;)

Lastly, Nico is a talented as well as a reasonably good looking young German lad and the Mercedes link would be a natural one. When I say "Mercedes link" I mean not just the Constructor but the engine supplier (as in McLaren-Mercedes + Brawn-Mercedes...i.e. the two most recent title holders of the WDC at the time).

Re-read that several times and still have the same response....

What??

How about this one?

Rosberg Denied Visa For Indian GP - Report: Nico Rosberg is reportedly yet to receive a visa to enter India for the country's inaugural F1 Grand Prix. That is the claim of theTimes of India, revealing that other F1 team members and journalists are experiencing simular difficulties while preparing to travel to Delhi next month.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs110//P4/

But it might not matter anyway.

Progress At India GP Venue 'Alarming' - Report: New photos reportedly depict an "alarming situation" at India's Buddh circuit just over a month before the inaugural Indian GP is scheduled to be held. Spain's Marca sports newspaper published the photos that were reportedly taken days ago by a fan by the name of Parth Doshi. The report said "the circuit is not only not complete but very far from it,"

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-grand-prix-news-briefs110/P1

I'm sorry I can't help you, Hamberg. No point in rehashing these points. I'd rather debate something else now. :goodday:
I wasn't disputing what you were saying i just genuinely didn't understand!

Bit of a bugger if drivers can't get Visa's. Saying it does go ahead one has to wonder what would happen if I couple of drivers can't get in unless it's Vettel in which case let battle commence!

Back
Top Bottom