Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Does Nico really have to carry on this "the other guy", "the guy in first", "the other car" crap on team radio? It was kind of understandable when things were at boiling point last year but I don't think it's doing him any favours.

Yes, well Lewis is the problem and Nico's solution seems to be to go all out Harry Potter with the "he who shall not be named" act. It annoys me more than it probably should... just seems so childish. Not convinced that frame of mind will be doing him any favours either.

Last edited:
sushifiesta
Well Senna use to do the same thing when referring to Prost " The Frenchman"

Valentino Rossi would address friends by their first name and rivals by their last name more subtly

Yes a bit of political mind games ...

You're all assuming he knew for definite Hamilton was the driver in first place. I know it's a safe assumption but the conditions were non standard.

Why was he getting in anyones way? He was slowing on the racing line and would have been aware of traffic behind him.

He'd let a Williams past him (which was on its out lap) but blocked his team mate. Its all very odd. Especially as he just started a timed lap. What was he trying to do?

Hamilton was barely held up, I just watched the onboard footage. He did abort the lap soon after that though.

And it doesn't really make sense to hold anyone up unless you are at the top of the timesheet anyway.

No it doesn't. Which is again why I ask - what was he trying to do? Why did he have two out laps before a quick lap and why didn't he get out the way quicker if he was slowing?

He may have been fiddling with his steering wheel for all we know. With the spray, Lewis would have been in his mirrors for all of about 3 seconds. I believe Hamilton was sincere in the Press Room when he said he didn't even recall the exact moment in question.

This won't amount to anything.

But why have 2 out laps? He hadn't made a mistake or got blocked. We saw him start the lap but he just didn't get on it. Lewis was obviously on it from his first sector time.

I'm just at a bit of a loss over what the strategy was that lead to the none incident rather than the incident itself.

It's not exactly unusual to have two warming up laps when it rains. There's always a chance the track will get drier on your third lap and you'd want to keep your tyres in good condition for it.

Maybe Rosberg thought his only chance of beating Hamilton was to try something different...

Maybe. But if tgats the case then why didn't his team say "Hey Nico your team mate is on a hot lap behind you so make sure you let him through" and why let a Williams that had just come out the pits pass him?

I smell the hand of the media in this.

Undoubtedly yes. But I still think it was odd he was doing what he was doing. Commentary team were bemused too. I thought he had a car issue to start with.

Yes. I accept that but as I keep saying - what was he doing?

I can accept he might have decided to take another warm up lap but why let the Williams coming out the pits pass him? The Williams isn't on a quick lap so he's not blocking it and if he lets it pass him then there is a chance it gets in the way on his quick lap (Which we saw happening to lots of people). So, in the words of Martin Brundle at the time, what was that all about?

I'll shut up now. Was just all very un-normal track behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom