Current Nico Hülkenberg

Never have I known so many people rate a test driver as a future world champion so I thought I'd start a thread for people to pass there opinions on young Nico.

Has an incredible record in other Formula's - won A1 Go in 06, won F3 euro masters in 08, won GP2 in 09 and then came into F1. There was a lot of hype around Mr Hulkenberg in arriving in F1 as he was seen as the next 'Lewis Hamilton' but in all honest in the car he was driving he was never going to be able to match what Lewis did as a rookie the question remains though did he do enough? He scored 25 points to his experienced team-mate Rubens Barrichello's 47 which doesn't look good - however is it unfair to judge a rookie against the most experienced F1 driver in history? Especially a driver who was having a resurgent after being a world championship contender the season before.

To be fair to Hulkenberg he got better as the season went on and it was clear he was getting to grips with F1 - the icing on the cake of course was the brilliant pole he scored in the wet in Brazil. Although tactical he was advised as when to go and on what tyres he still had to produce the time and being on pole by over a second is pretty impressive. I think if Williams could have afforded to keep him on they would have done but needs must when the bank manager drives and poor old Nico was shown the door.

Currently testing with Force India and you have to think that right now he's breathing down Sutil's neck for the race seat. I really hope they take a gamble on him earlier than later as want to see how he fares against Di Resta - I actually think that might be the making of both of them. Currently Di Resta is being praised and lined up for the Merc drive at the moment but you have to say if Hulkenberg comes in and beats him surely Merc would take the Nico option?

Is he as good as he's hyped or does having Will Weber as you manager help you become hyped up? Interestingly back in 2009, when he was being considered for replacing Luca Badoer at Ferrari, Weber stated that Hulkenberg would not take the seat now but he would sign for Ferrari in 3 years time - that makes 2012 - next season!

As mentioned on another thread there have been 2 world champions who have had a season of F1 and then dropped out to take a test driver role for another year - Mika Hakkinen and Fernando Alonso - will Nico make it a hattrick?

I would honestly take him over Button. I would take him over Grosjean if their other driver is paying. I would take him over Raikkonen if Alonso was my other driver. And I'd damn well get Ricciardo to do one.

Thanks for seeing sense, FI.

I don't get this height and weight issue, he's a similar height to Button and di Resta, yet no one has mentioned them being a problem due to their height.

Although, not sure if anyone is even considering di Resta at the moment.

Hulk is the future champion in the making. If it wasn't for his weight, he would have challenged Vettel already! Belongs with the very best Alonso, Raikko, Hamilton and Vettel!!!

After a great deal of time to ponder it whilst nothing was going on in the race I think I've reached the conclusion that after all his consistant results from Hungary last year (and of course his results before) I can't think of one driver on the current grid I would rate as better than Hulkenberg.

Equal maybe but not better.

RasputinLives No doubt he deserves a top car, no one can argue with that. But you until Hulkenberg races a top team-mate I don't see how that claim can be made. So far the best he's faced is di Resta and where is he now?

Well people keep telling me that Vettel will prove he is a top class driver when he gets results in a car that isn't the best. Hulkenberg constantly gets results in cars that shouldn't be getting those results.

At the end of the day he can't chose who gets picked as his team mate he can just beat them.

Would Fangio have been any less great if Bruno Senna had been his team mate.

Fernando Alonso drives a vastly superior car to Hulkenburg, and he did last season as well. Just think how many times you see Alonso staring pointedly at Hulkenburg's rear wing. How many times do you see Hulkenburg the first runner of the midfield teams in the early laps? How often, in short, do you see him holding his own against fantastic drivers in superior cars?

And, of course, there is always that day in Sao Paulo in 2010. That Saturday when he qualified in the wet a full second clear of Sebastian Vettel and the rest.

It seems to be his life though - he impresses, teams can't get the money, they bring in Maldonado and he gets shunted sideways. Which is a shame, because if I were Red Bull or Ferrari or Mercedes or McLaren, he'd be the first name on the wishlist.

No doubt he deserves a top car, no one can argue with that. But you until Hulkenberg races a top team-mate I don't see how that claim can be made. So far the best he's faced is di Resta and where is he now?

Why does this point all of a sudden keep getting brought up?

Alonso, Button and Raikkonen put in great performances in their early careers, but they weren't done against top team-mates, yet when Hulkenberg and Vettel do it, you can't make a 'claim' for it.

The guy is simply class, if people think Alonso is getting wasted at Ferrari, then they need to have a look at Hulkenberg, who's just poodling around in a midfield car while consistently getting results.

Hope he gets a win or a podium...still annoyed by Brazil 2012 where he made probably the only mistake I've seen him make.

I suspect we might see Hulkenberg in a Ferrari next season as one of the pensioners there will leave at the end of 2014.

Nico Hulkenberg will end up I suspect at either Mclaren or Ferrari

At the moment evidence is showing why Perez is not a world class driver and Hulkenberg is in the two races so far

I have no doubt one of the big teams will snatch him now .. what is Rosberg's contract position at Mercedes

RasputinLives I don't see how they can ignore him now .. certainly Ron Dennis would not if he was given an opportunity to sign him unless Honda are going to pressure Ron in terms of keeping Jenson

Ferrari - I think Kimi's form is a worry at the moment and if it does not improve surely Hulkenberg has to be a frontrunner for the seat

Mercedes- I'll be interested to see if they rate Hulkenberg higher than Rosberg or not to get him

This time last year (and later) everyone was saying that no one could ignore him especially Mclaren and that Massa's form at Ferrari meant he might get a shot there. Then people started asking about the status of Rosbergs contract with Merc.

I'm not saying it won't happen its just every year everyone is always certain that next season he'll be in a 'top team' and every year he isn't.

Our of interest. Why are you so sure Ron Dennis would not ignore him if he had the chance to sign him? Am I missing something?

As Ron claims he was the one who signed KMag (which I'm cynical about) it would imply that Ron already had the chance to sign him and ignored him.

RasputinLives When Ron sees a potential truly world class driver he does not hang around to swoop for them

History shows that Prost - ruthlessly dropping Watson because Marlboro want a world champion driver in Lauda despite being beaten by Watson

Senna over Piquet - Johansson was always a stop gap

Hakkinen when the chance was available same with Raikkonen over the Mercedes preferred Heidfeld

the same with Alonso when the chance came .

-------------------------------------------------

Okay his choices of Berger, and Montoya did not work out

-----------------------------------

As for KMag - Ron has a massive ego- I don't know if he was orchestrating the moves to weaken Whitmarsh's position and highlight that Perez does not belong to the front because I don;t see how he could ignore Hulkenberg

- Button being world champion does help keep his seat and he actually beat Perez who suppose to have a promising future

Obviously if KMag avoids junking too many chassis and runs with front runners then his choice is justified

-----------------------

I just don't see how Hulkenberg will not get a top drive - he got close to the Ferrari drive but Kimi and his management team obviously negotiated better and being in the title fight then helped

-------------------------

Hulkenberg's time will come ... yes i mention Mercedes because you don't hear many people within Mercedes speaking highly of Rosberg publicly despite being a German

Il_leone - That was 2012. Quite.

What I don't understand is what the hell Capri Sun think they're achieving with their sponsorship of Sutil when they don't sponsor a much more televisual prospect like Hulkenburg.

Then again, with sponsorship he might be at Lotus ;).

Back
Top Bottom