Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

I did, the last driver to own a team would have been Prost. But who was the last to drive for his own team

Edit, GL is right, forgot about the Stewart team! oops!

When was the last time we had a Driver-Owner?

Some reports suggested that Raikonnen was looking at the possibility of taking some equity in Williams when he was talking to them about a drive - I'm not sure, but I also seem to remember the same possibility being discussed about Lotus... Anyone know any more?

I think Schuey wants another year. If Merc drop him I can see him at Sauber with Perez to help prepare him for Ferrari in 2014. If not, he'll retire. Sauber could well have a decent car next year, so maybe he could bow out on a high and pit himself against a real rising star.

Of course this could all be way off the mark.

So, what's Michael going to do now?

Retire? With his tail between his legs like this? After that crash in Singapore? If he does decide to go, I hope he has one last hurrah. I used to hate him for what he did to Hill in 94, but since he has come back, I have mellowed towards him. He probably should retire to save the legacy... but if its his legacy he was worried about then he wouldn't have come back in the first place.

I think he just likes driving F1 cars so much that maybe, just maybe, he could decide to go on. He is still so marketable that he will have offers. Sauber, for sure. I have no doubt that Force India would move mountains for the Schumi brand too. Williams...? He can't be any worse than they have already!

For me, he is still one of the best 24 drivers in the world, so I wouldn't begrudge him if he decided to keep going.

If only.

s1_1.jpg

Well he's matched Rosberg last season, and is driving equally as good if not better this season, the lucks not been there with reliability.

Like Jez says,
For me, he is still one of the best 24 drivers in the world, so I wouldn't begrudge him if he decided to keep going.

And that's not because I'm a fan of his, it's because he's proved his worth against Rosberg, and matched him. Not as if he's doing a Barrichello or Trulli, but he isn't setting the world alight either.

Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do.

Find another team?

Why shouldn't he ask Force India, Sauber, Williams or even Ferrari if they are interested. He is still a money machine and if Schumacher wants to drive and is at least as good as the person he is keeping out, then why not?

For a large part of this season pace hasn't been the problem for Schumacher, but what the head thinks and what the body does are completely different things, of course if the Mercedes hadn't been so hard on its tyres and not broken down every 5 minutes he might well have had a few podiums and won this season, although we'll never know

Retirement at the end of the season - ”I am at ease with myself”

"I have decided to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season, although I am still able to compete with the best drivers of the world. This is something that makes me proud, and this is part of why I never regretted my Comback. I can be happy with my performance and the fact that I was continuously raising my game during the last three years. But then, at some point it is time to say Good-Bye.
Already during the past weeks and months I was not sure if I would still have the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on; and it is not my style to do anything which I am not 100% convinced about. With today’s decision I feel released from those doubts. In the end, it is not my ambition to just drive around but to fight for victories; and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.
I have said at the end of 2009 that I want to be measured by my success, and this is why I had a lot of critizism in the past 3 years which partly was justified. It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goal to develop a world championship fighting car within those 3 years. It is also without doubt that I cannot provide a long term perspective to anyone. But then it is also clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in Formula 1.
In the past 6 years I have learned a lot, also about me, and I am thankful for it: for example, that you can open yourself up without losing focus. That losing can be both more difficult and more instructive than winning; something I had lost out of sight sometimes in earlier years. That you have to appreciate to be able to do what you love. That you have to live your convictions. I have opened my horizon, and I am at ease with myself.
I would like to thank Daimler, Mercedes-Benz and the Team for their trust. But I also would like to thank all my friends, partners and companions, who over many good years in motorsport supported me. But most of all I would like to thank my family for standing always by my side, giving me the freedom to live my convictions and sharing my joy.

My respect for the man has increased markedly with that. Takes balls to admit to the world that you're not quite good enough anymore.

Back
Top Bottom